SMS not restoring completely

SunithMandalia

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
So i just got the Lumia 1020, i've set it up using a backup and as a new device, but my sms messages only restore up to 18/12 last year, my most recent sms have backed up correctly, i can see them on outlook but for some reason, it won't restore messages past that date.

Anyone else come across something similar or have a fix?

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I've seen this before when there are a lot of text messages; give it a little more time (another 1 or 2 hours) and they should hopefully reappear on their own.

SunithMandalia

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
thanks, i've reset it a couple of more times and it's gotten a couple more days worth of sms, will give it a bit more time then and see what happens.

Andrew Beac

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Same here.

I never had text message backup turned on, but I was getting a new phone so I turned it on. Left it on WiFi / charger for 3 days in hopes they'd all get backed up.

I got my phone in January.

So I got the new phone in, did a restore from cloud. All pictures, settings, emails, etc restored...but only January - April's text messages restored (it's October now).

I factory reset and tried again, and the same occured...up to the very same text message, but no further.

I'm thinking my phone might've needed more time to back up OR there's only a certain amount of space the 'cloud' can hold. Either way, this is driving me crazy.

I factory reset the new phone again, but have yet to restore it. I have my old phone on WiFi / charging again, in hopes that more of the text messages will be backed up so that I can get a full restore.

Does anyone else have any additional suggestions?

dasfoto

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem with a Lumia 920. One of the things I noticed during the restore was the progress bar turned from blue to red at about the 64% mark. I wonder if this has anything to do with it?

EpicIncognitO

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Okay this usually is happening with users who have alot of smses backed up , like me. I yesterday did a factory reset and then all of them didnt restore because the microsoft account faces a sync error. I reported it to Nokia and now its working all sms are back.

Andrew Beac

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Just an update:

I think what's happening is that SMS backup doesn't back up texts retroactively. I mentioned earlier that I got my phone in January. When I restored my phone, the only texts that restored were from January - March. I think that's because, being privacy conscious, I turned SMS backup off around that time (March). Then when I restored my phone after a factory reset (October) I only got those texts back (even though I turned SMS backup on before the reset hoping it would retroactively backup all the texts on my phone).

So I think the only texts that get backed up are the ones you send/receive while SMS backup is enabled. If you turn it off, send a bunch of messages, then turn it back on...the only texts that get backed up are the ones prior to turning it off, and the ones after turning it back on. It will not retroactively back up the ones you sent while SMS backup was turned off.

damienif

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi all.

Am new to this forum, but am sadly having the same issue.

I have successfully moved from one Windows Phone 8 phone to another 3 times, and all my texts came back previously (last time was in August). This time when I first set it up, only got messages until Feb. I did a factory reset, and now has until March.

I have always had back-up turned on.

Has something broken in the latest OS update, or server side, which is causing the text back-up to time out?

Anyone have any ideas how to trouble-shoot, aside from trying reset again?

Thanks!

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Yes, I have restored backups successfully many times, but this week, I too was having trouble with texts. I guess people see the Attention Required notice in their Microsoft account. I guess too, that some people have figured out that if you turn off SMS Backup, the Attention Required will go away. For restoring two phones this week, I had to delete some texts as they were getting restored to finally get all of the recent ones and the Attention Required notice to go away from the account, while keeping SMS Backup on. Anyhow, there must be a server issue. Not super bad for me as I can live without old texts, but some people might be upset. Otherwise, MS does a nice job of restoring a phone after a reset or new device.

dgb75

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I found a solution to this:

1) Go into Settings -> email+accounts
2) Open your Microsoft Account and change the sync setting to "as items arrive".
3) The account will now sync. If you find that it stops, set it to 15 minutes then set it back to "as items arrive".
4) When everything is synced, change the setting back to whatever your preference is.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Was having the same issue after doing a hard reset to get WP 8.1 working properly, and found this fix:

1) Go to Messaging
2) Tap the bottom menu to expand it, and go to Settings
3) You will find an option called "Download messages from". Expand that box and select "any time"

PHEW!

Vesane Vates

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I think the only texts that get backed up are the ones you send/receive while SMS backup is enabled. If you turn it off, send a bunch of messages, then turn it back on...the only texts that get backed up are the ones prior to turning it off, and the ones after turning it back on. It will not retroactively back up the ones you sent while SMS backup was turned off.

Didn't think of this; did you ever find out for sure whether that's how it works?

Vesane Vates

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Okay this usually is happening with users who have alot of smses backed up , like me. I yesterday did a factory reset and then all of them didnt restore because the microsoft account faces a sync error. I reported it to Nokia and now its working all sms are back.

What exactly did you report to Nokia? Where/how? How did they fix it?

Vesane Vates

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I found a solution to this:

1) Go into Settings -> email+accounts
2) Open your Microsoft Account and change the sync setting to "as items arrive".
3) The account will now sync. If you find that it stops, set it to 15 minutes then set it back to "as items arrive".
4) When everything is synced, change the setting back to whatever your preference is.

I'm just continuously getting the dreaded 80C805E2 error when I try this unless I turn off text message backup (which is of course completely counter-productive in this case). Anything else I can do from the Messages side of things? (Although I didn't have sms backup turned on for most of the year, I've set 'Download messages from' to 'Any Time', though there are certainly a lot of texts in there...)

Senthil Kannan S

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I know it is quite a old post. For me not even one sms got restored. I can see the messages in outlook but not able to restore it. My email got restored and my apps got restored too. I am not sure what I am missing. I have not inserted sim and not sure whether I need that to get messages restored. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

N1cks

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
do you remember you had sim inserted to your phone that time. Because I have not inserted the sim and the sms restore is not working for me

I've the same questions. Did you find out he answer?

I'm setting up a Lumia 830 with W10M for my mum, but I don't have access to her SIM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720