Is there REALLY no way to restore a backup after without cell network?

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
You can only do a backup if you connect your Microsoft account during initial setup, you can't do initial setup over cell network if the phone isn't able to configure network settings, and no option to use Wi-Fi, and therefore must skip initial set-up?

Forced to factory reset phone after less than 2 months of owning it due to storage cannibalizing itself, and backups are completely worthless. Huge oversight by Microsoft, and basically a deal-breaker. How can such a simple yet important function be so broken?

kjnoel

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
You can only do a backup if you connect your Microsoft account during initial setup, you can't do initial setup over cell network if the phone isn't able to configure network settings, and no option to use Wi-Fi, and therefore must skip initial set-up?

Forced to factory reset phone after less than 2 months of owning it due to storage cannibalizing itself, and backups are completely worthless. Huge oversight by Microsoft, and basically a deal-breaker. How can such a simple yet important function be so broken?
The lack of WiFi during initial setup gets to me as well.

Mike_J

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Read somewhere that it is getting changed in one of the next update. Wondered if it was a security thing - if you force initial logon thru a telephone provider network you can always identify the phone end user via the sim card id. Wifi only will allow anyone, anywhere if they know your password to replicate your entire phone without being identified.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
There's also the fact that some people don't have WiFi available so a cellular connection is needed to initiate the restore. Now of course when the restore begins you can quickly enable WiFi to complete the restore. There's also the issue of security since not all WiFi networks are secure.

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
After several failed attempts at home, I drove to an area with better reception and the phone was able to provision itself during setup. At home I had 3 bars, non-roaming.

So I'm restored and hopefully my other storage issue will remain at-bay for awhile as long as I don't look at the phone or you know, use it.

daniel_sherlock

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I faced this issue, when I changed network my phone storage also ate its self. System restore wouldn't work as the default settings were wrong.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Its only for the initial pull-down of the profile, you can switch to WiFi. That said, GDR3 allows it fully through WiFi (thankfully)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans