WP in the US.

PeltFrelken

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Curious about your thoughts on this: Realistically, do you think Windows Phone will ever really be mainstream in the US? I live in a big city and I never see one, ever (anecdotal, I know). For those who want a high end smartphone, the iPhone really seems to be the "default" choice for so many people.

What's your take?

(btw, I have a 521 and I very much enjoy it, so I'm in the WP camp, for sure)

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
So far, I've seen 2 in the wild. My uncle who owns a MacBook Pro and iPhone 4S actually walked into a nearby Microsoft store to look at the 920 because he thought mine looked cool (he didn't buy one though). A friend of mine really REALLY wants a 520, but can't afford a new cellphone, he currently owns a crapdroid and when I told him it was $100 from AT&T, he was shocked that it has a decent camera and 8gb of storage when his android costs $75 and has like a 2mp camera and about 4gb of storage and lags a lot.

It just needs time, isheep will always be isheep of course, but people don't really know how nice Windows Phone is unless they use it.

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I've actually seen several WPs in my area of the US... :)

Sent from my Microsoft Windows-branded Portable Mobile Device Public Distribution 3 Variation a.78 Build 4038 using Tapatalk

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone dominates by me. Even my wife has one. I know of two other people with wp's and they both love them. I still hope for more wp's to turn up but the iPhone users love them. Personally I can't stand the iPhone or the iPad, just not for me.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
There are a couple of people at my work that has WP. I love mine and never heard any complaints from them either.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I was at Chili's yesterday after church. While we were at the table, six of us, one lady handed her Windows Phone to the waitress to show her the coupon. Waitress accidentally grabbed the power button. I reached over and turned it on and swiped up on the lockscreen for her and she said something like, "I've got an android, so I couldn't figure it out." I said, "Rhonda (another lady eating with us) has that same problem." :wink:

There were four Windows Phones at the table, one Android, and one dumb phone.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
My opinion behind this, and it's only my opinion as I don't live in the US. Is this.

MS is not known for it's great marketing. The Windows name is known too much for tasks rather than the consumer market that iPhone and Android have, regardless of the success of xBox.

Let's face it, even though I know and understand why the Windows name is being used, it is not a 'cool' name.

WP lack of apps will continue to hamper uptake of the OS regardless how good the OS is. I know 3rd party apps are good but that's not the point. The missing 'major' apps and the lack of desire by those companies to make an app is a bad image. In the US, image is everything. Especially to younger people.

WP is great, it's still in its teething stages but it has to come out of it quickly. It's doing well in general but it's got a way to go. Hopefully W8.1 makes the impact that's needed. Let's hope they get those missing apps on finally.

jenni122701

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I still am thinking that WP will eventually be a mainstream phone. I have been seeing it shown on TV more lately, commercials and it is starring in some TV shows now as well. I love WP and think that it will continue to catch the eye and hearts of other users, its just at a slow pace. My BFF is about to switch from iPhone to the 8X WP, same as I have. I think with GDR3, the right advertising, and continuing to increase the WP app store, it's chances are good. I want nothing more than for WP to be right up there with Apple & Android phones.

Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using Tapatalk

Chinocop

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Perceptions don't change overnight and neither do trends. Microsoft is going to have to build a good product. Once you have a solid reliable product, sales will come. This is going to take a while. They really need to convert people one at a time. That's the only way to go about it.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
There is an image problem. Microsoft needs to work on that hardcore. I had a cashier at Petco laugh and say "instagram on a windows phone, that's funny" When I was looking up a picture of a rare fish I have. I showed her that it indeed was posted to instagram, but she still did not believe me. I have had others completely write off windows phone when I even mention it. Although, I do get people wanting to take a look at my phone because they have heard of the OS and have never played around with it.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm fairly confident that WP will become the unchallenged "third option" in the U.S., but I doubt it will ever be truly mainstream.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm beginning to think that my daughter is about their best marketing tool. She got her L920 over the summer and when school started her friends saw it and now a lot of her friends have dumped the iPhone for the WP. About once a week she tells me of a new one that switched. She's a bit upset because the newest person got the 1020 and now she wishes she had waited a bit and got that instead of the 920.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans