920 v 925? Which one to upgrade to..?

Soulforge

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Which network provider are you with in the UK? If you have the money upfront for the phone, you may find it cheaper to buy the phone outright and go on a PAYG or rolling Monthly Contract.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Which network provider are you with in the UK? If you have the money upfront for the phone, you may find it cheaper to buy the phone outright and go on a PAYG or rolling Monthly Contract.
I'm currently with O2 but I'm looking to switch anyway - signal is **** where I work.
My work pays for my phone bill so I can go with any provider; contracts/deals aren't an issue, I'm just looking for some opinion on the handsets.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
You can purchase a 920 for pretty cheap now on eBay around $300-$350.

I personally love the screen of my 920. The 16 gigs of memory is a huge deal breaker. Plus there is no micro-USB card slot..

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the 16GB makes the 925 fine for TMO, where there is unlimited data, but not so great for other carriers. Even on TMO, though, it depends on how a person uses his phone.

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
If you're in the UK, Tesco Direct are knocking out SIM-free 920's in Black, White, Red and Yellow for ?230. Personally I'd buy a 920 outright and get a nice cheap contract.

I'm a fan of the 920 look and feel, double the storage and the wireless charging. The 925 doesn't do it for me looks-wise and isn't worth the additional cost in my opinion when you can pick up the 920 so cheaply.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
You can purchase a 920 for pretty cheap now on eBay around $300-$350.

I personally love the screen of my 920. The 16 gigs of memory is a huge deal breaker. Plus there is no micro-USB card slot..

Think you meant microSD. :)

Soulforge

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently with O2 but I'm looking to switch anyway - signal is **** where I work.
My work pays for my phone bill so I can go with any provider; contracts/deals aren't an issue, I'm just looking for some opinion on the handsets.

Why not upgrade to the 1020 then? Might aswell get the best you can if you will be sitting on a 24month contract.
AMOLED screen like the 925
Standard 32GB of internal storage (64GB if you stick with o2)
Double the RAM 2GB
Oh and the camera...the super awesome camera.
Wireless charging if you get the acessories.
Additional 50% Battery life if you pick up the camera grip with the built in battery.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
If you're in the UK, Tesco Direct are knocking out SIM-free 920's in Black, White, Red and Yellow for ?230. Personally I'd buy a 920 outright and get a nice cheap contract.

I'm a fan of the 920 look and feel, double the storage and the wireless charging. The 925 doesn't do it for me looks-wise and isn't worth the additional cost in my opinion when you can pick up the 920 so cheaply.

exactly this ..... i really dont see the point in the 925 to be honest if the 920 is running amber the differences are even smaller and maybe the 920 the better phone , 32gb memory , wireless charging , great colour choice , for me the 925 is just a more fashionable 920 , lighter , slimmer but missing some features because of this??

i do like the amoled from the 925 though but cmon less the 16gb to the end user in ?400 high end device in 2013 just dont seem right i dont care if nokia do it , apple do it or samsung its just wrong when memory is so cheap ....... if they gave away free unlimited internet it wouldnt be so bad but i could never live with just 16gb these days

for that reason alone id take the 920 even if it is an older device ;-)

as the users above me says too why not consider the 1020 ....... i love mine and ive had a 920 ;-)

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
can anybody tell if there is a big difference between the level of blacks between the amooled 925 vs 920 ips LCD?

You'd notice it but it's not really a big issue as the 920 still gives good blacks compared to other ips screens

sent from within the depths of my brain

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
only thing boggling my mind to choose between the two is actually the waight and screen differences..

If this would be of any help. Left It's my 920 and right is my 925

anabyqer.jpg

With regards to weight, i never considered the 920 heavy. Compared to modern phones, yes but it doesn't feel like a heavy brick. 925 is indeed light though and thin

justinhopaolo

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
are there any real world advantage/ disadvantage of each phone?
do you find the black level too far from one another? i really want the information on the blacks.
do you find it hard to keep the 925 scratch free?

If this would be of any help. Left It's my 920 and right is my 925

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/03/anabyqer.jpg

With regards to weight, i never considered the 920 heavy. Compared to modern phones, yes but it doesn't feel like a heavy brick. 925 is indeed light though and thin

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
are there any real world advantage/ disadvantage of each phone?
do you find the black level too far from one another? i really want the information on the blacks.
do you find it hard to keep the 925 scratch free?

advantage/disadvantage - user dependent
Blacks - noticeable but bearable
Scratch free - never had an issue with any of my toys

Sent from my Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
can anybody tell if there is a big difference between the level of blacks between the amooled 925 vs 920 ips LCD?

AMOLED usually has noticeably more vibrant colors and darker blacks (unless the whole screen is black but powered, and then you get ugly blotches on many AMOLEDs). However, the IPS screen is sharper because it has the full RGB stripe sub-pixel array, and the AMOLED is PenTile which produces a checkered look to the screen. At the 925's resolution, you need good eyes or good corrective lenses to notice, and it doesn't bother most people, but looks hideous to some (like me). It's the reason I just bought a 920 instead of a 1020 even though I really, really wanted the nice camera.

justinhopaolo

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
meaning the black levels from 920 is distinguishable from the bezel? as compared to 925 which cant be distinguished and you cant see the end of the screen?

AMOLED usually has noticeably more vibrant colors and darker blacks (unless the whole screen is black but powered, and then you get ugly blotches on many AMOLEDs). However, the IPS screen is sharper because it has the full RGB stripe sub-pixel array, and the AMOLED is PenTile which produces a checkered look to the screen. At the 925's resolution, you need good eyes or good corrective lenses to notice, and it doesn't bother most people, but looks hideous to some (like me). It's the reason I just bought a 920 instead of a 1020 even though I really, really wanted the nice camera.

Divair

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I personally prefer the 920 for two main reasons:
1. Wireless charging built-in
2. Beautiful backing with lots of colour options

If you don't mind getting a cover for wireless charging (or if you don't use it at all) and if you plan on buying a grey/black/white phone anyway, go for the 925.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The difference between the bezel and the screen on my 920 is barely noticeable. I find the 920 has more realistic colors and when you are scrolling the text doesn't get blurry like on the 925.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb