How annoying is the lack of orientation lock?

EZJ

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I've been eyeing a Windows Phone for months now and I think I'm ready to make the switch. I'm thinking about getting the 920, but still waiting till October 22nd to see if Nokia is planning on replacing it. Anyway, I was also waiting on GDR3 for Orientation Lock as it's something I always have locked.

But now the big thing is, my Sony Xperia S (Android) is really annoying me right now that I really want to switch as soon as possible. But waiting for GDR3 is probably gonna take another 2 months. So how annoying is the lack of orientation lock really? Is it something I might be capable of living with for 2-3 months, or is really annoying when using the phone in bed for example?

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I am using the phone since 20th April (L720) and have only been irritated 3 or maybe 4 times with the orientation lock issue.

ojo otter

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I find no orientation lock really annoying! Why don't you get a lumia 520 for 2 months, and then upgrade when GDR3 comes out? That's what I'm doing! Especially when I'm in bed, it goes like that. And then it randomly locks on its side at times. But all my mates who have my phone dint get that, so I think its just my one. Maybe you should try that??

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I find no orientation lock really annoying! Why don't you get a lumia 520 for 2 months, and then upgrade when GDR3 comes out? That's what I'm doing! Especially when I'm in bed, it goes like that. And then it randomly locks on its side at times. But all my mates who have my phone dint get that, so I think its just my one. Maybe you should try that??

If you are watching youtube videos, do it in metrotube, there's a lock button.
If you are watching videos on the phone, they don't flip out on you from horizontally to vertically, they just flip 180 degrees, if you know what I mean.

jenni122701

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Its going to vary on how and where people use their phones, but for me, orientation lock can't come fast enough! Its just something I am used to using a lot, and its the one thing I sorely miss from my previous phone. I'm being patient though. Lol.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
What is annoying is when developers can't put a few lines of code to lock the app orientation when landscape is not proper vis-a-vis portrait.

ojo otter

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
If you are watching youtube videos, do it in metrotube, there's a lock button.
If you are watching videos on the phone, they don't flip out on you from horizontally to vertically, they just flip 180 degrees, if you know what I mean.
WPcentral also does this! (the app)

cyberden

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Most big apps (metrotube, baconit, nextgen reader, 6tag, twitter) allow user to lock screen orientation (or are locked to portrait) for the app itself so it's not that important even if I'm eagerly waiting for this feature. The main remaining issue is the webbrowser, email client, messages and settings screens where there is no way to lock to portrait.

EZJ

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site

A Lumia 520 is €150 of contract. A Lumia 920 is €300 of contract. It's kind of a waste of money to get a 520 for 2 months and then switch to the 920 again.

Whatsapp is the no. 1 app I use, I don't know how you plan to do it but I don't dance around with my phone in hand :s

It's not that I dance with my phone. It's mostly about usage in bed sideways.

ojo otter

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
A Lumia 520 is ?150 of contract. A Lumia 920 is ?300 of contract. It's kind of a waste of money to get a 520 for 2 months and then switch to the 920 again.

It's not that I dance with my phone. It's mostly about usage in bed sideways.
I was saying if you get one of the new phones like the 929 if its good, or the 1520. If your gonna get a 920, then ok. I'm waiting for gdr3 phones, idc about the update of it! At&t take way to long I learnt with GDR2

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't usually bother me except when I'm laying in bed trying to use my WP. In that situation I grab my Android or iPhone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs