Looking for a cheap unlocked phone

m_o

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a cheap unlocked phone that will be able to run WP8.1 when it is released. My iPhone 3GS just broke and I am looking for an upgrade that won't break the bank but will be good enough for me to enjoy using.

I don't mind purchasing used in good condition if it will get me a better phone for much less. If by any miracle the phone you want to recommend is also rugged/waterproof/lifeproof that would be awesome (but not necessary). Good battery life is important to me.

Let me know if this is in the wrong forum since I'm new here and wasn't sure where to post.
Here's to hoping I'll be joining the WP family soon,
m_o

Last edited:

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I would ideally like to pay around $200-$300. Is that reasonable?

That's more than enough.

Are you interested in an 8x? They're selling for 179. Its a world phone, meaning it works on all carriers (verizon/att/tmobile). It also has wireless charging.

Type in HTC 8x in the wpccentral app or websites for past articles. Wpcentral posted this a week or so ago and they're still selling these.

m_o

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
That's more than enough.

Are you interested in an 8x? They're selling for 179. Its a world phone, meaning it works on all carriers (verizon/att/tmobile). It also has wireless charging.

That looks good and amazingly cheap. (How is it that cheap?) How is the battery life? Will it upgrade to 8.1?

I also want to make sure it will work on my carrier. Are there multiple versions of the phone for different networks (similar to the iPhone) or just one? Since The Verge seems to think it doesn't support 2100Mhz but the site selling it and HTC say it does.

For the record here are my network's specs:
3G: 2100 MHz on native network
2G: 1800 Mhz 3G: 850/2100 MHz HSDPA when roaming on supported networks that extend coverage (no cost to me)

m_o

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Go to the website and contact the company and or shipper. Its on the page. They should know or at least that's where you can start.

Good idea.

One problem though, it seems that the Verizon version has a hardcoded MMS setting that can't be changed even when unlocked. Do you have any other device recommendations?

Also, how much can carriers and device manufacturers change WP? I thought not at all but the Verizon MMS issue would seem to indicate they can.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720