10-11-2013 09:38 AM
63 123
tools
    I believe your opinion / research holds good with WP devices but don't you see how IOS and Android started? They had all the basic and necessary apps right from the beginning. I am not sure how MS takes the app store in their views. But this is more of a general idea to have corporate apps available when you are heading out to cover corporate market with their devices. And with the take over of Nokia entirely I am not sure how its gonna look like in the upcoming days.
    I'll see your point and raise you a valid excuse. Consider this...

The first iPhone was released June 2007. The first Android (the G1) was released October 2008. Two completely revolutionary OS's starting out with no one before them. So of course, every corporate business minded financial and marketing officer are going to jump on the app market bandwagon. They have/had to.

The first Windows phone came about November 2010. A full 2 years after Android and 3 1/2 years after iOS. By this time (if you negate Blackberry altogether), every smart phone user either had an iPhone or an Android phone. There were already around several years before Windows decided to jump into the mix. And because iPhone is so easy to use with everything right on several screens, and Android easily customizeable and a nice alternative to iPhone...Windows was already in the hole. Besides a fresh UI (which you can easily emulate on Android with an app), Windows didn't really bring anything revolutionary to the table (and I say that with the utmost respect). So with 2 already successful OS's, why would businesses rush to invest in a new OS that hasn't really established itself as a power house? Again, I'm going off of current statistics here.

What should have happened, is Windows needed to get in the game as quickly as possible right behind Android or before. That way they'd have been established already and companies would include them. Instead, WP is seen as a late comer trying to cash in on the successes of two other OS's. Amazon is already trying their hand. Lucky for them, Amazon is so popular and the Kindle Fire is one of the hottest tablets right now and they use the Android market, they could actually work. But do you call it an Amazon phone? Or an Android phone since it uses Android as a base? But I digress...

So, yes, basic apps are needed in the beginning, but unfortunately, there's no bill to rights that every new OS is granted basic corporate apps. Since iOS and Android came along, every newcomer has to prove themselves. Which is where we are. So MS needs to make Windows Blue (and GDR3) as interesting as possible in order to sell more units in order to get more attention from corporate companies.
    DexterG and etad putta like this.
    10-09-2013 10:22 AM
    Quit whining about it and do something about it. Bang on the businesses you want to give us apps on twitter and facebook. Every time some company provides thier sales force with WP or surface I tweet the article with @square because I think that's a big one. Every time a local radio/tv station/other business creates an "app" that is really a glorified view of their web site, I go on facebook and/or twitter and ask when the WP version is coming.

If you don't ask for it, people, you won't get it. Join the movement #winphan
    nohra, WPmunkey and hopmedic like this.
    10-09-2013 11:50 AM
    I'll see your point and raise you a valid excuse. Consider this...
    185248_10150348916921729_20531316728_9500420_1221014_n-300x233-150x150.jpg
    The first iPhone was released June 2007. The first Android (the G1) was released October 2008. Two completely revolutionary OS's starting out with no one before them. So of course, every corporate business minded financial and marketing officer are going to jump on the app market bandwagon. They have/had to.

The first Windows phone came about November 2010. A full 2 years after Android and 3 1/2 years after iOS. By this time (if you negate Blackberry altogether), every smart phone user either had an iPhone or an Android phone. There were already around several years before Windows decided to jump into the mix. And because iPhone is so easy to use with everything right on several screens, and Android easily customizeable and a nice alternative to iPhone...Windows was already in the hole. Besides a fresh UI (which you can easily emulate on Android with an app), Windows didn't really bring anything revolutionary to the table (and I say that with the utmost respect). So with 2 already successful OS's, why would businesses rush to invest in a new OS that hasn't really established itself as a power house? Again, I'm going off of current statistics here.
    A couple of notes to add. First, iPhone couldn't even run apps until something like a year later, because Apple didn't think apps were necessary. So they really didn't get much of a jump on Android from that perspective. Also, many of us had been using Windows Mobile, Blackberry (I'd used both), Palm, and others, before iPhone came out. But what Apple did was get it right - as they have done so many times in the past. They took something that was only used by us geeks, and made it consumer friendly. But they (and Android) did so, as you said, 2-3 years ahead of Microsoft. Oh - one correction - The first Windows Phones were launched on October 21 (my birthday, so I remember), 2010 (I was already in love as I'd seen a prototype that spring when a developer evangelist demonstrated it at the Visual Studio 2010 launch event). They didn't launch in the US until November, though.

What should have happened, is Windows needed to get in the game as quickly as possible right behind Android or before. That way they'd have been established already and companies would include them. Instead, WP is seen as a late comer trying to cash in on the successes of two other OS's. Amazon is already trying their hand. Lucky for them, Amazon is so popular and the Kindle Fire is one of the hottest tablets right now and they use the Android market, they could actually work. But do you call it an Amazon phone? Or an Android phone since it uses Android as a base? But I digress...

So, yes, basic apps are needed in the beginning, but unfortunately, there's no bill to rights that every new OS is granted basic corporate apps. Since iOS and Android came along, every newcomer has to prove themselves. Which is where we are. So MS needs to make Windows Blue (and GDR3) as interesting as possible in order to sell more units in order to get more attention from corporate companies.
    And yes, while basic apps are needed in the beginning, ALL of these phones started at zero. The problem is that the two year head start of the other two OS app stores resulted in a huge lead. I don't know if it is still on track, but the last time I heard stats (it's been a while), the Windows Phone store was growing at a rate equal to iOS and ahead of Android, at that point in those stores' ages. I hope it is still keeping that momentum, but I haven't heard the stats in a while, and finding them is a challenge.
    gab1972 likes this.
    10-09-2013 01:24 PM
    Can we all add our signature to the petition to bring Instagram to Windows Phone at http://www.change.org/petitions/inst...share_petition

They need to get 15,000 signatures and only about 100 signature short of the target!

While you are at it, Why not add a reply to bring official Target Cartwheel app to WP as well - Windows Phone App!
    10-09-2013 08:11 PM
    Can we all add our signature to the petition to bring Instagram to Windows Phone at http://www.change.org/petitions/inst...share_petition

They need to get 15,000 signatures and only about 100 signature short of the target!

While you are at it, Why not add a reply to bring official Target Cartwheel app to WP as well - Windows Phone App!
    There needs to be a blanket "We want this..." petition for Windows Phone. Because I want Simple Bank, Waze, Official Pocket, BB&T Bank....the list goes on.

I'll also use this time to reinforce my earlier point on why we don't have mainstream apps. If this is legit, notice how Instagram wants 15,000 signatures? See, it's not that they don't have the resources to develop a WP app, they want to know that there are is enough market share for it.

And like @hopmedic stated, at least WP is on par with Apple's initial growth rate.
    10-10-2013 06:37 AM
    @SocialTouch, I clicked it, and learned that I've already signed that petition. I'd like to get support for a petition that I just created, to get the USAA app back to Windows Phone. Please, everyone, sign this petition. There are many of us that are veterans and used to use this app when we had WP7 devices, and would like the app back.
    https://www.change.org/p/usaa-bank-r...indows-phone-8

Thank you.
    gab1972 likes this.
    10-10-2013 09:24 AM
    @SocialTouch, I clicked it, and learned that I've already signed that petition. I'd like to get support for a petition that I just created, to get the USAA app back to Windows Phone. Please, everyone, sign this petition. There are many of us that are veterans and used to use this app when we had WP7 devices, and would like the app back.
    https://www.change.org/p/usaa-bank-r...indows-phone-8

Thank you.
    I'm totally supporting this! As a former Marine, I'd love to see USAA with a WP app. I might actually use them instead of Simple for my "all other purchases" account.
    10-10-2013 12:15 PM
    I'm totally supporting this! As a former Marine, I'd love to see USAA with a WP app. I might actually use them instead of Simple for my "all other purchases" account.
    I thought there was no such thing as a former Marine??? I was USN, so I can use the "former" word!
    10-10-2013 02:03 PM
    I am sorry but I have to take this sort of post with a grain of salt. First, none of the apps you mention are corporate - they are definitively consumer. Second, the largest US banks do have apps (B of A, Chase, and Wells Fargo) as do quite a few major retailers. According to your profile you are in the US. Third, so your friends have bought phones within the year on your "evangelization" and then dumped them within months? I guess they either like paying substantial penalties or buy pricey phones off contract. Either way, why would someone jump on a platform without assurance it meets their needs? Finally, you actually mention Pandora before jumping to the "corporate" comment and the official WP 8 Pandora app is not only available (and has been for a long time) but has been noted as having nice WP 8 perks not available on the other platforms. Yes, there is a need for more apps in certain areas, which is something that improves daily, but I really have to be skeptical when someone calls him or herself an "evangelist" but has also said elsewhere said they bought the phone "on a lark" and have single digit posts on this site.
    Yep. I'm pretty hurt that someone on the Interwebz doesn't believe me.

I have been an ATT premier customer for many years, and they treat me well. I spend a lot of cash with ATT because I have all of my business lines with them, and they go to great lengths to make me happy. So upgrades aren't really a factor for me, you see. My associates and family rarely PAY for hardware or upgrades.

I apologize for my low post count. I find that I normally learn more by listening. Maybe i should go post a bunch of pointless crap and earn some cred.
    10-10-2013 08:07 PM
    USAA is one of the apps that I'm missing... one of those that I called "corporate apps".

I talked to person after person until I got to one of their development guys. He told me that they're working on a WP8 port of their old WP7 one. They had problems with it that have set them back, and asked that I be patient.
    10-10-2013 08:15 PM
    The Instagram petition is so close, 134 signatures away, at time of writing. I don't use Instagram, as I think it's kind of silly. However, it clearly is a big deal for some people, enough for it to be a deal breaker when decided their next phone. Plus, all the blogs posting about lack of Instagram on Windows Phone has really been bothering me, I'm tired of it. As such, despite me not using the service, I signed the petition, more or less for the principle of the thing.

Maybe Daniel can throw us a bone and make a front page announcement? There's got to be at least 134 people who read this site but haven't yet signed the petition...
    nohra likes this.
    10-10-2013 10:50 PM
    I thought there was no such thing as a former Marine??? I was USN, so I can use the "former" word!
    Correction: there are no EX Marines. Former is the formal word. But yeah, once a Marine, always a Marine.
    hopmedic and nohra like this.
    10-11-2013 06:25 AM
    The Instagram petition is so close, 134 signatures away, at time of writing. I don't use Instagram, as I think it's kind of silly. However, it clearly is a big deal for some people, enough for it to be a deal breaker when decided their next phone. Plus, all the blogs posting about lack of Instagram on Windows Phone has really been bothering me, I'm tired of it. As such, despite me not using the service, I signed the petition, more or less for the principle of the thing.

Maybe Daniel can throw us a bone and make a front page announcement? There's got to be at least 134 people who read this site but haven't yet signed the petition...
    Can't agree more!! I am SICK of constantly hearing about instagram!
    10-11-2013 09:38 AM
63 123