Lack of "corporate" apps is killing WP

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I've been using WP since January 2013, and I really like the OS and the WP/Win8 infrastructure.

I've been an evangelist for WP8... and I've convinced 4 close friends to try the WP8 platform. And yesterday the last of those 4 jettisoned their WP8 devices and went back to their iOS or Android devices.

All 4 of those people left WP8 for the same reason... lack of the apps that they wanted/needed. There are many apps to cover what I call silly apps... Youtube... Pandora... Instagram... etc... but what is missing in almost every case are what I call "corporate apps". Mobile banking... store discount apps... website mobile access apps...

I've pretended that not having these apps was no big deal... but I'm fooling myself. Using the mobile websites for my banks and investment brokers is a poor substitute and lacks the functionality of their mobile apps. My banks offer mobile deposits and bill pay through their mobile apps... but this is difficult or impossible through their mobile websites... and using the full websites is too cumbersome on a small phone screen.

So I don't know what the future of WP holds. I have had great experiences with the OS itself... it's smooth and stable. But I must admit that I'm tempted to bail on WP myself if the situation doesn't change with corporate app support.

Has anyone else had problems with those corporate apps being absent or unsupported?

Would you mind a more thorough interview with your friends , to tell us the positives and negatives in more details?

Hydrated

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I know this is more concentrating on the 'app' issue but you mentioned 'corporate' apps. I'd just like to add my two cents worth here. Not only is the lack of corporate apps an issue, the fact that they haven't made the phone enterprise ready is a big downfall. WP should have been positioned to replace BB instead it appears they concentrated on the consumer market more.

Now I know some companies have taken up WP. However it's not 100% enterprise friendly, especially those that have strict policies. This is what I'm referring to. They're losing a very large market share due to this.

This is very insightful... and I had not thought of this...

You are absolutely right. The impending collapse of BB will leave a vacuum in the enterprise mobile market. Microsoft certainly could have done well to capture that business.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
WP should have been positioned to replace BB instead it appears they concentrated on the consumer market more.

They did this quite deliberately, it's no secret. Windows Phone 7 Series in the Enterprise: not all good news | Ars Technica

It's been reported on WPC that more enterprise features are coming in 2014. Microsoft increases Windows Phone 8 support lifecycle, teases upcoming enterprise update | Windows Phone Central. But I use my HTC WP7 as a work phone right now, no problem. I don't miss anything that my BB colleagues have - and don't bother mentioning BBM. Once my email was setup, I was required to enter a PIN and screen timeout and I was good to go. Works very well with Office365.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
They did this quite deliberately, it's no secret. Windows Phone 7 Series in the Enterprise: not all good news | Ars Technica

It's been reported on WPC that more enterprise features are coming in 2014. Microsoft increases Windows Phone 8 support lifecycle, teases upcoming enterprise update | Windows Phone Central. But I use my HTC WP7 as a work phone right now, no problem. I don't miss anything that my BB colleagues have - and don't bother mentioning BBM. Once my email was setup, I was required to enter a PIN and screen timeout and I was good to go. Works very well with Office365.

You missed my main point -
However it's not 100% enterprise friendly, especially those that have strict policies. This is what I'm referring to.

I know that some companies have no issue using WP and that it works for them. However at my company they wouldn't adpot it. This is due to the inability to disable Skydrive easily and some other bits. As long as 'high level' security is neeeded, WP will be a distant 4th for take up for enterprise. BB is still the phone of choice currently. I have little doubt they would go for WP if they felt it was secure enough.

Let's hope their update in 2014 does some good. I have heard that Skydrive will be even more integrated into the OS, so not sure.

Last edited:

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Don't know about you but here in India we have all the officials banking apps, be it HDFC Bank of America, Federal bank, even state owned banks have official WP apps and they are really great app very well woven around the WP UI, even the official Indian Rail app is only on WP neither on Android nor iOS, Airtel one of the largest mobile service provider also launched official app here..
So regarding the "CORPORATE" apps i think situation here is much better, since in India WP moved to second place in smartphone market share..

That's because of Nokia, not because of WP.

gab1972

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a developer, but it goes beyond brand loyalty or getting money to develop it. While I believe money is a large issue, it's about *continuing* to make money. Consider this...

If it were that easy to develop an app and all that was involved was getting your dev team to do so, companies like Pocket and Waze (and several others) certainly have the means to do so. So it's not the fact that they need the money to develop it. They want money to maintain and grow it. And that comes from market share.

It's no secret that Microsoft is now 3rd on the charts not because they're making a thunderous headway, but because besides iOS and Android, who else is left? Blackberry is dead in the water waiting for a towline from someone. Sure, perhaps WP8 is gaining some attention and a bit of momentum lately, but there's still not enough market share. There's not *enough* people buying WP to make corporate companies want to develop and *maintain* for WP. If you had only 3 stocks you could invest in, would you invest in the bottom one?

I, for one, like my L928. I can't say I love it. But I'm very happy with what MS is doing and I'm going to stick this baby out and see where the ride goes. But we need more interest in our OS if we expect corporate companies to develop for us. It's all about the long haul, not the initial investment.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
You missed my main point -

I know that some companies have no issue using WP and that it works for them. However at my company they wouldn't adpot it. This is due to the inability to disable Skydrive easily and some other bits. As long as 'high level' security is neeeded, WP will be a distant 4th for take up for enterprise. BB is still the phone of choice currently. I have little doubt they would go for WP if they felt it was secure enough.

Let's hope their update in 2014 does some good. I have heard that Skydrive will be even more integrated into the OS, so not sure.

Doesn't Windows Phone already have some corporate policy things like that? You just set-up an Exchange Email account with your company, then it immediately encrypts your phone's storage and requires a more advanced password (based on the criteria set by your company). It also enables your company to remotely erase your phone, should they deem it necessary. Plus, it allows the company to have its own page in the WP Marketplace (obviously only accessible to company members), where they can publish their own, private company apps, have a news board, etc.

To my knowledge, that's more than iOS (Apple doesn't let anyone lay a finger on their precious OS) and Android (the jumbled mess it is) offer up. It may not be Blackberry, but if it beats the competition, won't people still seek out Windows Phone?

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else had problems with those corporate apps being absent or unsupported?

Nope. I have no need for them, so I wouldn't use them if they were there.

Now, I realize some people do use their phones for banking and stuff like that, so if these kinds of apps would interest them, then by all means I hope WP gets them. For me, I want more photo/image apps than any kind of banking/investing/shopping apps, but that's just because I do use those. WP has several of those, so I'm as happy as a clown with the platform. Keep 'em coming!

There's been a steady stream of 'corporate' apps, and as WP market share grows, I doubt that will decrease.

If you need those apps now, then you're probably better off on a different platform. I think that's going to be the basic statement for at least 2 more years: If you absolutely have to have everything that's on iPhone or Android, then you should get one of those. For me, the benefits of WP is more important than any particular app.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't Windows Phone already have some corporate policy things like that? You just set-up an Exchange Email account with your company, then it immediately encrypts your phone's storage and requires a more advanced password (based on the criteria set by your company). It also enables your company to remotely erase your phone, should they deem it necessary. Plus, it allows the company to have its own page in the WP Marketplace (obviously only accessible to company members), where they can publish their own, private company apps, have a news board, etc.

To my knowledge, that's more than iOS (Apple doesn't let anyone lay a finger on their precious OS) and Android (the jumbled mess it is) offer up. It may not be Blackberry, but if it beats the competition, won't people still seek out Windows Phone?

Sigh. Again, as I've already said. Yes some companies this is perfect for them. However, strict policy is not catered for. Main one for my company would be Skydrive. Far as I know you cannot shut this off on WP currently. I'm not sure about other policies but I'm sure they'd want to shut off any social media stuff and access to webmail. Not sure if that's possible.

Most large enterprises have very strict IT policies that WP doesn't cater for yet. Most will want to block what I've mentioned above. The only thing my work will allow for personal use is the WiFi and that's severely crippled. I'm not 100% certain what iOS or Android have as I haven't heard of any company adopting them. Most still use BB until something better comes along.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Sigh. Again, as I've already said. Yes some companies this is perfect for them. However, strict policy is not catered for. Main one for my company would be Skydrive. Far as I know you cannot shut this off on WP currently. I'm not sure about other policies but I'm sure they'd want to shut off any social media stuff and access to webmail. Not sure if that's possible.

Most large enterprises have very strict IT policies that WP doesn't cater for yet. Most will want to block what I've mentioned above. The only thing my work will allow for personal use is the WiFi and that's severely crippled. I'm not 100% certain what iOS or Android have as I haven't heard of any company adopting them. Most still use BB until something better comes along.

I see. Well hopefully Microsoft gets right on that. As you said, Blackberry is dead in the water, it's only a matter of time before the ship goes down. Windows already rules enterprise on the desktop, so it'd be amazing if Microsoft could implement those same features on Windows Phone, so that they may capture all the business once Blackberry is gone.

pillswoj

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the OP, it is these local business apps that are missing. I recently recommended a Nexus 4 for my wife largely because of the app experience (banking, gas etc). I knew going to WP that apps would be missing and they are coming out slowly. I have over a year to go on my contract and my hope is that once BB is dead businesses will support WP as well as Android and iOS. I think for this year they were waiting to see which OS would become #3.

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for reminding me to email Suntrust bank again about developing a WP8 app. Its nice that Mint.com is finally developing for us, now its time to take up the torch again and head to my local bank.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I've been using WP since January 2013, and I really like the OS and the WP/Win8 infrastructure.

I've been an evangelist for WP8... and I've convinced 4 close friends to try the WP8 platform. And yesterday the last of those 4 jettisoned their WP8 devices and went back to their iOS or Android devices.

All 4 of those people left WP8 for the same reason... lack of the apps that they wanted/needed. There are many apps to cover what I call silly apps... Youtube... Pandora... Instagram... etc... but what is missing in almost every case are what I call "corporate apps". Mobile banking... store discount apps... website mobile access apps...

I've pretended that not having these apps was no big deal... but I'm fooling myself. Using the mobile websites for my banks and investment brokers is a poor substitute and lacks the functionality of their mobile apps. My banks offer mobile deposits and bill pay through their mobile apps... but this is difficult or impossible through their mobile websites... and using the full websites is too cumbersome on a small phone screen.

So I don't know what the future of WP holds. I have had great experiences with the OS itself... it's smooth and stable. But I must admit that I'm tempted to bail on WP myself if the situation doesn't change with corporate app support.

I am sorry but I have to take this sort of post with a grain of salt. First, none of the apps you mention are corporate - they are definitively consumer. Second, the largest US banks do have apps (B of A, Chase, and Wells Fargo) as do quite a few major retailers. According to your profile you are in the US. Third, so your friends have bought phones within the year on your "evangelization" and then dumped them within months? I guess they either like paying substantial penalties or buy pricey phones off contract. Either way, why would someone jump on a platform without assurance it meets their needs? Finally, you actually mention Pandora before jumping to the "corporate" comment and the official WP 8 Pandora app is not only available (and has been for a long time) but has been noted as having nice WP 8 perks not available on the other platforms. Yes, there is a need for more apps in certain areas, which is something that improves daily, but I really have to be skeptical when someone calls him or herself an "evangelist" but has also said elsewhere said they bought the phone "on a lark" and have single digit posts on this site.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone does lack a lot of official applications. I doubt my bank will ever have more than a simple mobile banking app (minus mobile check deposit) in the next two years. Like all companies, they have to see a benefit to their customers. Alternatively, a way to monetize the research and development output in creating an app for the third/fourth place platform.

I keep an Android phone around so I can do mobile deposit when I need to. Right now this HTC One I'm playing with is looking more tempting by the minute. It lacks the 41MP camera, but for quick pictures (which account for half of the ones I take) it works.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
The only way we'll see more apps is to stick with the platform and tell everyone we know how great it is. Momentum is the key. As an early adopter of the N900 Maemo platform I fully understand how frustrating a lack of apps can be, particularly when the actual OS is brilliant. Hopefully Microsoft and Nokia will continue to create awesome phones and an ever improving platform, which will in turn draw in the major app developers......

Oh....and they need to throw a tonne of cash at advertising......its all about getting as many Lumia's in as many hands as possible, at whatever cost it takes.

phstratton

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed the lack of certain first party apps like instagram and vine, and have had trouble using the 3rd party options for those like instance and 6sec, but overall every app I need I have. I have only been with WP for about a month and I love it, but I must admit I only wanted the phone because you can earn Xbox achievements 😜. Now that I have it I like it but I miss a few features of my androids. Its still leagues ahead of IOS though.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I just wish that more companies would make better mobile websites instead of apps. Mobile websites don't take up storage on the phones, require no updating, no store/marketplace, etc. I blame Apple for introducing the whole "app craze"... we were on our way to a "client server" situation with the mobile web, and then they came along and destroyed it in favor of the old "install local program" model instead, to further their own goals. Nothing to do about it now, I guess. But it's what has made it hard for other OSs to break through, and we're all worse off for it. There are of course some apps like games that can't be done online, but the majority of "regular" apps CAN be.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I agree Mike.....there was absolutely nothing wrong with the mobile website route until Apple came along and made some sort of weird competition out of seeing how quickly you can download a thousand totally pointless, hard drive consuming apps.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I just wish that more companies would make better mobile websites instead of apps. Mobile websites don't take up storage on the phones, require no updating, no store/marketplace, etc. I blame Apple for introducing the whole "app craze"... we were on our way to a "client server" situation with the mobile web, and then they came along and destroyed it in favor of the old "install local program" model instead, to further their own goals. Nothing to do about it now, I guess. But it's what has made it hard for other OSs to break through, and we're all worse off for it. There are of course some apps like games that can't be done online, but the majority of "regular" apps CAN be.

bam, nailed it.

i really don't want an app for cnn, abc, nbc, cbs, natgeo, or the 500 other channels on television. i want good, mobile specific sites.

thanks for getting it right .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium