Flexible screens, not curved

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Recently, I saw the new Samsung with a curved display. Media is covering this as the newest innovation by Samsung. However, I think that the next generation of screens should not be curved, but flexible. There is no advantage other than viewing angles on curved displays. However, flexible screens can shape differently and have infinite viewing angles without breaking the screen.. I think that I will love a flexible screen, but a "curved" not so much..

pezley

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
A flexible screen is possible but flexible batteries, flexible motherboard,flexible phone housings and structures ? Not really any time soon.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I have difficulty seeing the use for a flexible screen. Would it be used on a flexible phone? How would that be possible, flexible batteries?

I really cannot see a real purpose.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think I just read that LG is coming out with a flexible screen for their next generation phones.

As pointed out above, the screen may be flexible, but the housing won't be.

Flexible screens allow manufacturers to create fixed, but curved screens.

For a truly flexible product, you'd need the electronics to be in a fixed, attached box, or to be housed in an articulated box.

I think that "curved" devices are the next wave, "flexible" is some way off.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
A flexible screen pointless? Really? So you mean a phone that would not smash its screen when dropped would not be worth while? Personally, I think it would sell huge numbers of units. Gorilla Glass and the insurance men would not be happy though... :)~

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Well flexible screens don't crack (easily). Our only problem now is the glass. I believe we would get farther if we stop trying to improve our glass technology and focus on our acrylic. Best thing I ever did was replace my old Zune 80's glass with a custom piece of acrylic glass! The poor guy survived hundreds of drops after that! (well the hdd eventually gave out lol)

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, +1 to the flexible motherboards/batteries, etc not happening anytime soon (famous last words of course, anything's possible).

I also however don't see a point in curved displays. Why would I want a curved TV? A curved phone? That one Nexus was curved, it didn't seem to be overly popular.

/however I also don't see a use for tablets, but look at that industry

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, +1 to the flexible motherboards/batteries, etc not happening anytime soon (famous last words of course, anything's possible).

I also however don't see a point in curved displays. Why would I want a curved TV? A curved phone? That one Nexus was curved, it didn't seem to be overly popular.

Tablets? I think you mean toys like the iPad and android tablets. Windows tablets (not RT) are laptop replacements!

dragonking1

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Yeah... flexible batteries aren't happening anytime soon...LG making flexible batteries, eyeing market for bendable electronics | ZDNet

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Sign me up for the flexible phone, that is waterproof, and much more resistant to shattering.

This is a big deal, even for the people that can't see the uses yet.

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12