Glance What is the point

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
It seems useless to me. I can just press the power button to see my notifications and the time.

Sure I can hold my hand over the screen to get the time, it is just easier to press the power button. I find it completely useless.

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Well, for people who spends most of their time on desks (ie. Students and business people alike) and leaves their phone on the desk, would have the benefit of not picking up the phone and pressing the power button to see phone status.

If you find it useless, like me, then turn it off. After all, there are plenty of ways to check the time. ie. Wristwatches and wall clocks. I'm pretty sure a few people keeps it on for some reason (oh I dunno, showing off).

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Well, for people who spends most of their time on desks (ie. Students and business people alike) and leaves their phone on the desk, would have the benefit of not picking up the phone and pressing the power button to see phone status.

If you find it useless, like me, then turn it off. After all, there are plenty of ways to check the time. ie. Wristwatches and wall clocks. I'm pretty sure a few people keeps it on for some reason (oh I dunno, showing off).

I like it. It's a quick way to see what time it is and it stays on. But I do agree that it is not the most useful feature.

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

JainPrateek

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I like it because when i take the phone out of my pocket, i get to see the time (and notifications in future) without doing anything. It also is convenient when i want to see the time in the middle of the night for some reason. Pressing the power button will cause the bright screen to turn up which will irritate your eyes. The current red time display is soothing.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I like it because when i take the phone out of my pocket, i get to see the time (and notifications in future) without doing anything. It also is convenient when i want to see the time in the middle of the night for some reason. Pressing the power button will cause the bright screen to turn up which will irritate your eyes. The current red time display is soothing.

good point

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Its good now, once Nokia get notifications working on it It'll solve all those threads of people asking for Notification lights, etc.

samurai_vara

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

Exactly...

TachyonicCargo

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
It seems useless to me. I can just press the power button to see my notifications and the time.

Sure I can hold my hand over the screen to get the time, it is just easier to press the power button. I find it completely useless.

1. I find the Glance Screen useful every time I pull my phone out of my pocket for the express purpose of looking for the time. Always aggravated any time I have to pull my phone out of my pocket and cannot see something so relative as the time, smiling back at me. It may seem like a trivial thing, but it is not for long time cellphone users, who have been using phones for well over a decade, that have some sort of external display feature for stuff like time and notifications, that DON'T require you to press anything, or activate the full power of the phone to get said information at a glace. I look at it this way, I have a very simple rule of thumb when it comes to purchasing a mobile smart device, and it goes as follows: if a Ericsson t28 (dumb phone, circa 1999) can do it, and your latest, greatest, 'next big thing' smartphone cannot, then your latest, greatest, 'next big thing' smartphone is complete, and total, overpriced ****. Glance Screen, and Sleeping Screen before, just restores one more feature that modern smartphones (in all of their supposed greatness) have taken away from the end user.
  2. Every time I am sitting down on my lunch break, with my phone sitting on the table next to me, giving my a constant update on how much time I have left before I have to pack up and go, and get back to work on time. Same thing goes for when I am sitting in a cafe, having a coffee, waiting to catch a bus or train. Or sitting around wasting time until my movie starts (I don't care for the pre-movie quiz crap). Any time I have got my phone sitting on the charger, at home, or at work. Even right now, as I type this, I can glance at my phone and see that it is 02:32, and I should be in bed sleep, instead of reading the WPCentral forums. Or any number of similar use cases that spring up . . . now if only all those restaurants I frequent, had wireless charging built into their tables . . .
  3. Adds one more level of customization, to Windows Phone, which is largely lacks in customization capabilities (Android users biggest complaints about Windows Phone). I figure by the time Windows Phone 8.1 shows up, Glace Screen will be fully restored to all it's Sleeping Screen capabilities. Which indeed, will be a nice bit of customization that no other modern smartphone has . . . until Apple or Samsung copies it, and pretends they invented it.

FlawlessSayan

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I know Glance is a nifty new feature but common u van always use ur watch and this glance really saps the battery's juice so better to,switch it off.

zinksilver

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
So what is the point of this thread? If you know it's optional and that you can turn it off, why bother and create a "useless" thread here?
Seriously, there is a glance screen thread and many glance-related stuff in the forums, no need to duplicate or create threads like this.

HarkAtYou

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I like it, when the phone is on charge it stays on, so when its on my wireless charger on my desk at work i can see the time at a 'glance' without having to press a button (which invariably knocks off the charging, i wouldn't recommend regularly wireless charging as it destroys the battery from experience!). However quite a few people have said its a feature unique to windows phones.. It isn't, Samsung have it too. And they even have cases which cover the screen and leave a little gap so when you hover over it the clock shows through the gap. And theirs shows notifications too. Just saying.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Moto X best feature - Active Display | Android Central

Active Display is Glance done right. It's exactly how notification management should work, Nokia / Microsoft need to pay attention.
Not really. I prefer the Sleeping Screen.

It's simply better for me, since it always stays on, just like I want it.

That and the Glance Background now brings it even closer to the Sleeping Screen.

What's needed are those customizable notifications!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss