920 or 8x? Help an Android guy out

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well i would say, go for Nokia Lumia 920 over 925 because it has inbuilt wireless charging and 32 GB of internal storage. ( vs.16 GB in 925)

jhelms29

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
My wife has the 8X and I have the 920. We both switched to WP8 from HTC Android phones last December. I love the screen and slim body style of her 8X. But the extra Nokia features (especially Pro Camera and double tap to wake) are great. More storage at 32 GB, bigger screen and a camera the performs better in most situations. Though I will say her 8X takes some killer ****s in well lit daytime photos.

Have you thought about a 925? Slimmer body style with all the Nokia goodies. Best of both worlds. Or wait it out for the new phones next month.

That said, love my 920. Just go for what feels good in your hand and pocket. You can't go wrong either way. In the long run the 920 may be supported longer (8.1 down the road) since HTC is rumored to be done with Windows Phones.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I thought their cameras were the same, what's better about the 925's camera?

The 925 has a sixth camera lens (the first smartphone to have one) over the 920's five. This allows it to take sharper photos, and improve daylight performance (a place where the 920 was somewhat lacking).

Both are still pretty awesome cameras, though, especially in low light.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
To the OP - 920 all the way. Nokia makes excellent quality devices and you won't have to worry about the body peeling like what happens with the 8X.

goodintentions

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I can't see ANY benefits the 8x has over a 920, besides for price point maybe.

Well, price point is pretty important, especially for an introductory device. I'm not saying we should go out and get the cheapest kid on the block for an introductory device. But at the same time, getting the most expensive puppy isn't a good idea either. If you end up hating it, you're stuck with a super expensive device that you hate.

For example, I decided to get the 810 because I ran across a deal I couldn't refuse... $60. Got a $7 case from amazon. $10 for the new sim card. That's $77 for the whole setup. If something happens to it, it won't kill me. And if I end up hating it, well it's no big loss either.

The 920 seems pretty good, but for the OP's purposes, he might not want to spend more money on the extra features that he might not need. I mean, cameras only get so good before they all look the same. Same with the processor on a phone. It can only get so fast before you say meh.

Memitim

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well i would say, go for Nokia Lumia 920 over 925 because it has inbuilt wireless charging and 32 GB of internal storage. ( vs.16 GB in 925)

My 925 has 32GB storage, so that will depend on where he's getting it from.

I've got the wireless charging cover for my 925, even with it attached it's still thinner than the 920 and easy to take off if you want to.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The three advantages the 8X has over the 920 are weight, audio and price (usually cheaper). Even with the Beats Audio off, the audio sounds better in the 8X due to the built in amp. If both prices are the same or close enough, the 920's superior camera in low light, built in wireless charging and Nokia (and eventually MSFT direct) support maybe a better value for money.

Cannot go wrong with either device, honestly. The 925 is typically more expensive than the 920.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
My 925 has 32GB storage, so that will depend on where he's getting it from.

I've got the wireless charging cover for my 925, even with it attached it's still thinner than the 920 and easy to take off if you want to.

To my knowledge, the 32GB models are exclusive to select few European carriers, making them very hard to come by.

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Even though I don't own either of those devices, I think you should go ahead and buy the 920. Lumias are known to be supported and treated extra specially compared to the other Windows Phones around.

slap0rama

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Get the 8x if you do not need too much storage since it only has 16 gb and if you like the design. Go with Nokia for all of their exclusive apps, support and the camera as you mentioned although, I do think the 8x has a great camera as well.

bjsstranger

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys! The price wasn't an issue because I had a friend who had a 8x and 920 that he and his wife were selling. Went with the 920 and I'm liking it. Just waiting for my nano to micro sim adapter

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys! The price wasn't an issue because I had a friend who had a 8x and 920 that he and his wife were selling. Went with the 920 and I'm liking it. Just waiting for my nano to micro sim adapter

Good choice. I hope it was a white L920. Its the only device that I know of that has a nickname. "Stormtrooper"!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon