Wp8 gdr3

manchanp

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Finally Microsoft took the wraps of their much awaited GDR3 release for Windows Phone 8, last update before the release of WP8.1 which is expected sometime early next year.
So, after reading the changes that are included in WP8 GDR3, what do you guys think where is WindowsPhone heading?
Will it be able to standout infront of Android and iOS (as an OS only if we leave the app ecosystem aside)?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It was always a stand out infront of Android and IOS to me :)

Features will still be missing like a built in control center for wifi, cellular etc as well as notifications.

Those will come in 8.1

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
extremely disappointing that notification center didn't make it. The enthusiast program is a sham that just grabs for dollars by making you sign up for a developer account. Next, Microsoft will announce how many "developers" they have signed up. On top of that it voids your warranty. They are exploiting a very dirty loophole in their update agreements with carriers that in the end will **** them and users off.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
extremely disappointing that notification center didn't make it. The enthusiast program is a sham that just grabs for dollars by making you sign up for a developer account. Next, Microsoft will announce how many "developers" they have signed up. On top of that it voids your warranty. They are exploiting a very dirty loophole in their update agreements with carriers that in the end will **** them and users off.

You don't have to pay. you can do it for free.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

Every platform has similar programs, as far as pissing off carriers.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
So no tile changes for existing phones huh? All the leaks and videos I see of GDR3 still show 2 medium or 4 small. At one point it was rumored even the 9XX/1XXX current devices would get 3 medium and 6 small icon view with 8.1. (Edit, confused myself, this isn't 8.1... lol.)

Not sure I really wanted smaller icons but...

Last edited:

manchanp

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes, Microsoft's announcement sounded more like give $19 and get GDR3 update!!

manchanp

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I like WindowsPhone but there are many basic functionalities which are missing, for once you can ignore them but in long run one gets frustrated!
Like notification center, common control center for switching on/off WiFi...Cellular data....and the most basic of them all is file explorer & different volume contol for ringer and playing media,even Nokia's 5yr old feature phone had this. I dont complaint about the apps as i understand that WP is pretty new in the market but yes i do complaint about getting the basic functionalities as that is what makes the OS stand apart from its competitors.

Rolandh

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
So no tile changes for existing phones huh? All the leaks and videos I see of GDR3 still show 2 medium or 4 small. At one point it was rumored even the 9XX/1XXX current devices would get 3 medium and 6 small icon view with 8.1.

Not sure I really wanted smaller icons but...
The Lumia 925 & HTC 8X get the extra row of tiles which means 3 rows of 4 Small tiles, 3 rows of Medium tiles, 2 rows of 4 Small tiles & 1 Medium tile, 2 rows of Medium tiles 1 row of 4 Small tiles, 1 Wide tile & 1 Medium tile, 1 wide tile & 1 row of 4 Small tiles, 1 row of 2 stacked Small tiles at each side of a Wide tile & possibly an Extra Wide tile across all three rows.

Roland

Memitim

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 925 & HTC 8X get the extra row of tiles which means 3 rows of 4 Small tiles, 3 rows of Medium tiles, 2 rows of 4 Small tiles & 1 Medium tile, 2 rows of Medium tiles 1 row of 4 Small tiles, 1 Wide tile & 1 Medium tile, 1 wide tile & 1 row of 4 Small tiles, 1 row of 2 stacked Small tiles at each side of a Wide tile & possibly an Extra Wide tile across all three rows.

Roland

Nope, only 1080p devices will be getting the extra row. Joe Belfiore confirmed this on Twitter earlier today.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers