SD Cards - What can they do? / Other Storage

Wael Hasno

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Probably answered before in the depths of these amazing forums but I just wanted to give it a go myself. I recently made an investment in a class 10 MicroSD-XC card at 64GB. Not only for my beloved Lumia 620 but for the near future as well, as I'm planning to buy a Surface Pro 2 at some point.

Now I haven't played much with it, it sure feels great to know and see that I have 60GBs of free space available on my phone but the question is, what can I do with all the free space? Just pictures, videos and music? That's it? No other functionalities at all?

And since music is also mentioned, how come my Spotify albums are not stored in the SD card? Is it because the app is not shown in the Music hub of the phone so the system recognizes it as a generic app? All my songs on Spotify show as application data and that's not convenient on my limited storage. It certainly is a problem.

Lastly, GDR2 was supposed to provide great help with "Other Storage". I'm currently on 5GBs, I heard it will only free some space up once my storage is completely full. Is there a quick way to force that or do I have to painfully wait until my storage gets completely eaten by "other"? I had serious issues trying to free up some space in order to be able to download and install Amber and GDR3 Preview, like moving all my files to the SD card and uninstalling a bunch of apps. I should never have to do such things so I'm looking for the future now. Is there any way to force my other storage down now that I've got the Amber update?

Thanks everyone, I'll be really grateful to any and all contributions.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I just took a look at this: Using an SD card to add space | Windows Phone How-to (United Kingdom)

Video is another option. You can store videos/movies on it.

If you're a person who doesn't like to carry a lot of tech with you there's the option of simply using it as a storage for all sorts of file, etc. Your phone doesn't need to access them but once you connect to a computer you can use them.

As for the 'Other' storage it gets the real fix in GDR3.

Wael Hasno

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I just took a look at this: Using an SD card to add space | Windows Phone How-to (United Kingdom)

Video is another option. You can store videos/movies on it.

If you're a person who doesn't like to carry a lot of tech with you there's the option of simply using it as a storage for all sorts of file, etc. Your phone doesn't need to access them but once you connect to a computer you can use them.

As for the 'Other' storage it gets the real fix in GDR3.

Thanks for the reply, though it's really nothing that I'm not aware of so far. Was just hoping to find some kind of backdoor to make things a little more convenient, if not with the SD card, then the other storage itself.