Microsoft lags behind at Updating OS

pmich

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious as to why it takes Microsoft so long to push out updates that frankly don't offer a lot of features. We got rotation lock and some SMS tones but not a lot of features that are 'wow' after a year since WP8 launched. When i compare this to what Blackberry has done moving from 10 to 10.1 and now to 10.2 you can see the rapid pace at which they're updating features. Instead of catching up, it feels like they're just lagging farther behind sometimes.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious as to why it takes Microsoft so long to push out updates that frankly don't offer a lot of features. We got rotation lock and some SMS tones but not a lot of features that are 'wow' after a year since WP8 launched. When i compare this to what Blackberry has done moving from 10 to 10.1 and now to 10.2 you can see the rapid pace at which they're updating features. Instead of catching up, it feels like they're just lagging farther behind sometimes.

The flaw is, you're comparing an 8.0 -> 8.0 update vs 10.0 -> 10.1 & 10.2.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
They're not slow, they're not exactly quick, but they're still doing a ton with WP. Blackberry doesn't have an ecosystem so you just get updates for the phone. MS is doing a lot of behind the scenes stuff like making RT and WP share many APIs, that whole thing with streaming Xbox games, making SkyDrive better and better. Don't worry, you'll be happier and happier as we get more updates.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Blackberry has more than just its OS work on. Lol. Enterprise, BBM, BBM Music, etc... They also design their own hardware, run their own servers, etc... Not to mention it owns QNX so that whole auto division. Lol.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, your kinda concern for no reason, at least for now. MS has always stated that any and all GDR releases are bug fixes and putting things in place for wp8.1. Everyone warned not to give their hopes up looking for features when ms said 8.1 is the key. Just wait.

jongthechemist

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Looking at the things they made for Windows 8.1, I believe they are preparing more than users features right now for WP8.1. what i mean by that is they might be preparing for more hardware supports and development features too in both Visual Studio and WP SDK. This means more variety in terms of hardware and more capabilities in terms of apps. They might need to put more people on the next big update than these GDRs we're getting in between times. For iOS and BB10, they have specific hardwares thus easier for them to support those while android is open-source. Those are my thoughts.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Apple does the same thing, except they don't even get the service packs that MS gives us (GDR1,2,3). Come January we'll have a solid update. You wait.

pmich

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Well i love the enthusiasm by everyone. I just hope it really happens when 8.1 comes in next spring. I'm banking on a much better notification system and 'zuning' the xbox music application. (my term for bringing back what was already awesome when it was Zune) Hopefully they'll have other surprises for us as well especially with the phablets coming debuting shortly. They need to create split screens and use of styluses for those devices such as the 1520.

rajthilak

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
Remember that Blackberry is just having blackberry devices to use its software. Apple uses only Apple hardware.
But Microsoft is using multiple hardware's from multiple companies. Ultimately everything should work fine and should look identical too.

Android manages this by making the updates delivering to mobile manufacturers and they customize it completely. But MS does here almost everything which is taking its own time.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

Pretty sure it took BlackBerry longer to release 10 than Microsoft took to go WinMo6.5 -> WP7 -> WP7.5 -> WP7.8/WP8 Even then, it was by stripping out features, which is what they're adding back in the point releases.
I guess you could also compare to Apple's IOS 7.0.0 - > 7.0.1 -> 7.0.2 releases in a what - two week time frame?

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure it took BlackBerry longer to release 10 than Microsoft took to go WinMo6.5 -> WP7 -> WP7.5 -> WP7.8/WP8 Even then, it was by stripping out features, which is what they're adding back in the point releases.
I guess you could also compare to Apple's IOS 7.0.0 - > 7.0.1 -> 7.0.2 releases in a what - two week time frame?

Not really sure what you mean comparing BB10 to WinMo 6.5 to WP8. Blackberry is still supporting its old OS, 7.1 now. They actually just released a brand new phone for it. I actually forgot this part about my last post, Blackberry is currently supporting 3 OS's... Lol. I mean, the Playbook OS is all but dead, but it was just updated a month ago or so. So essentially, it took no time for BB to jump from 7 to 10. And also, WP stripped out tons of features from WinMo and is now adding them back. Its typical for any new platform to do this. It takes years to build a matured OS.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Blackberry has more than just its OS work on. Lol. Enterprise, BBM, BBM Music, etc... They also design their own hardware, run their own servers, etc... Not to mention it owns QNX so that whole auto division. Lol.

Still though, besides QNX, everything you just listed centers around their phones

pottyvick

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't say they don't update enough, but it seems like they take a while to implement some basic things (custom text tones for ex)... Nothing major but small things... Like the whole no MMS on the first few apple software updates...

While apple, google, and blackberry have all had little things missing they all are pretty even now, so i can see where this OP is coming from...

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Not really sure what you mean comparing BB10 to WinMo 6.5 to WP8. Blackberry is still supporting its old OS, 7.1 now. They actually just released a brand new phone for it. I actually forgot this part about my last post, Blackberry is currently supporting 3 OS's... Lol. I mean, the Playbook OS is all but dead, but it was just updated a month ago or so. So essentially, it took no time for BB to jump from 7 to 10. And also, WP stripped out tons of features from WinMo and is now adding them back. Its typical for any new platform to do this. It takes years to build a matured OS.

In what universe or alternate reality could anyone possibly suggest RIMM/BB took no time to get from BBOS7 to BB10? In the time the BB10 project was underway, the company changed names, has been forced to put itself on the market for buyers, had the OS name changed as a result of litigation, released and killed a tablet, and saw WP7, 7.5, 8, and GDR1 and 2, multiple Google confectionaries, and (I think) IOS 4 - 7.02 (maybe 5 - 7.02). I use the current date since BB10.2 is only a leak and the OS has struggled with bugs, feature holes, and a truly empty app store. When 10.2 is officially released, the OS will finally be at a level of completeness and stability roughly comparable to any other player. WP8 will have seen within one calendar year three significant updates, plus additional OEM firmware improvements. That is far more than Android and IOS, and BB is still working on basic bug fixes to its original release. Just because BB uses a .x designation for basic .0X fixes, does not make them even the equivalent of even Android 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3, which are hardly major changes themselves. How long exactly has Android been on 4.X, and until IOS 7, what were the things that really distinguished the three preceding full version number upgrades? Updates to WP8 have not been perfect but they have certainly not lagged. As far as any statements that they do not doing things like RIMM/BB go, that is really a compliment in the tech industry.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
BB was still supporting its current OS when 10 was released and its actually still supported today. There was no gap in support. Wasn't really a hard statement to understand. Considering you're mixing it with iOS4 I think your a bit confused. The first BB10 device came out early 2013 and the old OS is still getting support and even new devices. Where is this "wait"?

Seems like a pointless conversation anyway. I could really care less about any of it, I simply made a statement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb