Microsoft lags behind at Updating OS

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Finally there are other people that are seeing exactly what I'm seeing. iOS 7 and Android all have there problems but there are updates come faster and they actually bring you something.

Hasnt it ever occured to you that maybe they are aware of the bugs prior to release, and instead of pushing out the date they release it? Androids turn around time for updates is NOT quick, Apple is a different scenario...i agree they're quick HOWEVER, they only have to deal with their own hardware so its easier to UAT and release updates.

Also, theres no glaring fix for a hardware mess up...and being dependent on APPS to deal with your mistake:
Here's Why the iPhone 5S Accelerometer Is So Screwed Up

I am not going to defend Microsoft, they are definitely applying the updates too slowly in my books...but its not like the other guys are light speeds ahead and beyond. Lets stop giving Apple/Android so much credit here, they arent applying updates at a revolutionary rate. iOS is on generation 7 now, WP is really on generation two.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I am not going to defend Microsoft, they are definitely applying the updates too slowly in my books...but its not like the other guys are light speeds ahead and beyond. Lets stop giving Apple/Android so much credit here, they arent applying updates at a revolutionary rate. iOS is on generation 7 now, WP is really on generation two.

Well, there was Windows Mobile 6 and then Windows Phone 7. That would make Windows Phone 8 the 8th generation. Also, iOS and Android are much more mature feature-wise to begin with, that's the reason people want updates.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Well, there was Windows Mobile 6 and then Windows Phone 7. That would make Windows Phone 8 the 8th generation. Also, iOS and Android are much more mature feature-wise to begin with, that's the reason people want updates.

Ok, i never was into smartphones (palms or whatever they were earlier in 2000's)....but can Windows Phone really be considered a successors to Windows Mobile? If YES, than i stand corrected.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Ok, i never was into smartphones (palms or whatever they were earlier in 2000's)....but can Windows Phone really be considered a successors to Windows Mobile? If YES, than i stand corrected.

Windows Phone 7 was based on Windows CE as was Windows Mobile. But they stripped many if not most of the features, apps were made incompatible and the interface was brought to more a competitive level in times of iOS.

Still, Microsoft was very experienced with mobile devices at this time.

Here, some of the messy back-story:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Phone#Development

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
What baffles me is not the slow release rate. MS is MS, they have legions of engineers for the Office and Windows businesses, the WP division is apparently something of a sideshow up in Redmond.

The annoying part is that they keep ignoring features that users have been screaming for right since the first release of WP7, features that are the top 3 on UserVoice. This is just plain puzzling.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I was as frustrated as anybody when gdr2 just wasn't coming out for my 920, but it eventually happened, and now gdr3 is right around the corner. After Microsoft finalizes the code, which has to support a myriad of screen sizes, processor and ram configurations and whatnot, it goes to the handset manufacturer. They need to approve the code, then add any drivers, software updates or fixes they need to, then it gets sent to the mobile carrier for testing and approval. After all of that, it gets released to the handsets.

It is annoying, but there's a lot of moving parts in there...as posters above mentioned, blackberry and apple don't have some of these issues since they build the hardware and the software... and its not like android, the phones do get updated, even if it takes a while.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99