Bing's Twitter Account uses iphone

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, who cares?

You guys are talking as if all Microsoft employees have the obligation to use WP devices as if it was some sort of mandatory duty. It isn't.
Imagine a Coca-Cola worker walking into the office with a bottle of Pepsi if he approaches his boss and starts a conversation, what do you think his boss will think? This is the same predicament, Microsoft's employees shouldn't be using other devices except for purely app testing on other devices. My mom actually works for coke and witnessed someone getting fire because they brought a box of Pepsis for their coworkers to share.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Imagine a Coca-Cola worker walking into the office with a bottle of Pepsi if he approaches his boss and starts a conversation, what do you think his boss will think? This is the same predicament, Microsoft's employees shouldn't be using other devices except for purely app testing on other devices. My mom actually works for coke and witnessed someone getting fire because they brought a box of Pepsis for their coworkers to share.

That's slightly overboard, don't you think? Even if MS provides a free WP to every employee upon joining, they can't force people to use it. There may be many reasons why someone sticks to iOS or Android.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
That's slightly overboard, don't you think? Even if MS provides a free WP to every employee upon joining, they can't force people to use it. There may be many reasons why someone sticks to iOS or Android.

I didn't explain my point well enough. Of course, you can't force people to use a certain device, but you should not have employees using these competitor's devices at work. My mom is guilty of drink Pepsi sometimes at home and AWAY FROM WORK, but using a competitors device for non-app producing isn't a good image for a company. Obviously, all employees aren't gonna work for Microsoft because they love their devices, but if they do have a competitor device it would be best for them not to use it openly at work.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Seriously... If someone is influenced to change their opinions that easily, than they shouldn't be allowed to choose anything in the first place because they're simply too immature to do it properly.

I think you are exaggerating my point a little. I'm not saying that this alone will change people's minds. It's just one subliminal message of many, but it is one.

We here at WPC can differentiate between MS Bing, MS Azure, MS Windows Phone, and MS' advertising agency, who may ultimately have been responsible for that tweet, but that is not how brand image generally works. Most people don't make those distinctions.

I also wouldn't call such people idiots. The U.S. is one of the most receptive advertising markets in the world. Only very few are completely unaffected by the influences of advertising, if not conciously, then subconciously. This works the same way as advertising, just in reverse.

Last edited:

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
For a Microsoft service to tweet with an iPhone... yeah, that's dumb and looks bad for obvious reasons. Does it really mean anything? No, but it certainly looks bad or sends the wrong message given that apple is the leader in the industry and Microsoft is a distant third. And bing isn't some cousin to Microsoft. Bing is a major Microsoft product.

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
For a Microsoft service to tweet with an iPhone... yeah, that's dumb and looks bad for obvious reasons. Does it really mean anything? No, but it certainly looks bad or sends the wrong message given that apple is the leader in the industry and Microsoft is a distant third. And bing isn't some cousin to Microsoft. Bing is a major Microsoft product.
Microsoft is such a massive company that it has competitors everywhere. Does it matter that someone working on Xbox uses Google as a search engine? Or someone in the Bing team plays PS4? Or the Skydrive team using Dell computers? And Surface employees using HTC - even the WP8's are now competitors to MS's hardware?

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

arthur-blank-is-struggling-gif.gif

What's so hard about using your WP8 at your MSFT job?

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft is such a massive company that it has competitors everywhere. Does it matter that someone working on Xbox uses Google as a search engine? Or someone in the Bing team plays PS4? Or the Skydrive team using Dell computers? And Surface employees using HTC - even the WP8's are now competitors to MS's hardware?

Well, would an employee bring their PS4 to work with them? I'm pretty sure people of apple play Xbox, but it is probably not as big a deal because apple doesn't make game systems so they would have to use a competitors device either Sony or Microsoft. As I said before it is COMPLETELY fine for an employee to use whatever device they want to use away from work. If you do have a competitor's phone then keep it in your pocket unless you have a call(if you have a case they won't suspect anything). They can use it freely at home, but at work should not be an option.

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, would an employee bring their PS4 to work with them? I'm pretty sure people of apple play Xbox, but it is probably not as big a deal because apple doesn't make game systems so they would have to use a competitors device either Sony or Microsoft. As I said before it is COMPLETELY fine for an employee to use whatever device they want to use away from work. If you do have a competitor's phone then keep it in your pocket unless you have a call(if you have a case they won't suspect anything). They can use it freely at home, but at work should not be an option.
So you're saying you shouldn't be allowed to use your phone at work for work purposes just because it is not one that's created by a completely different division of your company?

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

Again, who cares what the employees personally use and like? That's none of my business. It's just that at work, it should be strictly Microsoft (With the exception of things like laptops, tablets and phones, because Microsoft is trying to encourage other OEMs to get on board). Yes, it has competitors everywhere, which is why it's essential it maintains its image everywhere.

A slip up in one category could speak ill for the entire company. Windows Phone is struggling as it is, and it's just embarrassing (to the platform, anyway) when seemingly, even Microsoft employees aren't using it. Sure, it doesn't mean anything, but it still looks bad.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

The first question and the scenario that your mom saw were 2 completely different things. I'm pretty sure that if you work at Coke long enough, you're going to eventually get tired of it and start drinking a Pepsi, just like how I see Subway employees at Wendy's all the time.

There's a difference between working at Subway and preferring Wendy's a certain day and bringing all your friends who work at Subway each a Baconator.

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Again, who cares what the employees personally use and like? That's none of my business. It's just that at work, it should be strictly Microsoft (With the exception of things like laptops, tablets and phones, because Microsoft is trying to encourage other OEMs to get on board). Yes, it has competitors everywhere, which is why it's essential it maintains its image everywhere.

A slip up in one category could speak ill for the entire company. Windows Phone is struggling as it is, and it's just embarrassing (to the platform, anyway) when seemingly, even Microsoft employees aren't using it. Sure, it doesn't mean anything, but it still looks bad.

You do realize that MS can't just fire anyone who uses something other than WP, right?

It only looks bad if you want it to look bad. This guy has an iphone. So what? So do 30% of mobile phone owners. Maybe he has multiple phones, maybe he doesn't. But what do you care? You use WP, right? And you're happy with it, right? Then keep using it, show others how great it is and let everyone choose their phone based on their needs.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't care if some MS employers prefer using an iPhone.

However, they should not be tweeting from the official Bing account using anything other than Windows.

I doubt we'll see Bing using Google Docs or storing files on Google Drive.

This is the reason MS is in the middle of a reorg. These separate businesses don't give a crap about each other. They couldn't care less if another division is successful or not.

Sergio The One

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I don't find this that terrible, just because it is the Bing account. As someone already mentioned, that account most likely is run by an ad agency and not Microsoft itself. Besides, there's something to be said about Bing needing to be ubiquitous because Bing is not necessarily tied to Windows. Bing aims to be everywhere and Microsoft has in the past hurt some of their products for favoring Windows.
That's why I say that just because it's Bing. If it was some other product then I would agree it looks bad for Microsoft to not use Windows Phone or Windows to do these kinds of things.

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I think you are exaggerating my point a little. I'm not saying that this alone will change people's minds. It's just one subliminal message of many, but it is one.

We here at WPC can differentiate between MS Bing, MS Azure, MS Windows Phone, and MS' advertising agency, who may ultimately have been responsible for that tweet, but that is not how brand image generally works. Most people don't make those distinctions.

Like I said...

On another note, they don't make those destinctions or aren't bothered with making them?

I also wouldn't call such people idiots. The U.S. is one of the most receptive advertising markets in the world. Only very few are completely unaffected by the influences of advertising, if not conciously, then subconciously. This works the same way as advertising, just in reverse.

That means idiots. They eat up anything they hear on the TV and usually make assumptions that don't make any sense based on what they hear or see.

I know how it works and that's precisely why I'm saying it's idiotic to believe that MS is taking a dump on WP because of a random tweet on a Bing account... Believing that is a sign of a people that doesn't take five seconds to think things through properly.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I know how it works and that's precisely why I'm saying it's idiotic to believe that MS is taking a dump on WP because of a random tweet on a Bing account... Believing that is a sign of a people that doesn't take five seconds to think things through properly.

You know how it works, so you aren't disputing the sum effect such incidents have on the views of the majority of people. That is the most important part of my argument right there!

What you still seem to be missing is this:

As idiotic (I would prefer the term "ignorant") as that majority may be, a sizable chunk of them must also become WP owners at some point. If WP can rely only on MS fans and some geeks to survive, then it is doomed.

MS must tailor their PR efforts accordingly, so as to consider those people's sensibilities as well as our own! Slipping up, and then calling anyone who might be influenced by said slip up an idi0t compounds MS' problems. That is not good.

Quick, in two seconds, what was that tweet about? What part was most notable? That's right...

Nobody in this thread thought that tweet was a great help to MS' cause. The best opinion we got so far is "it really doesn't hurt them". Is that how low we're setting the bar for MS' PR? Is it really that bad to expect more professionalism?

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
You know how it works, so you aren't disputing the sum effect such incidents have on the views of the majority of people. That is the most important part of my argument right there!

I'm not disputing. What I'm saying is that it is idiotic that this is even an incident.

What you still seem to be missing is this:

As idiotic (I would prefer the term "ignorant") as that majority may be, a sizable chunk of them must also become WP owners at some point. If WP can rely only on MS fans and some geeks to survive, then it is doomed.

Yes, but it was a post on a Bing account. Like several people said, myself included, Bing is supposed to work (and has to) on every platform, not just WP. Hence my "it's understandable" attitude. WP is just related because it belongs to MS, but apart from that, I'm making no other relation or assumption about it's quality, solely based on what an employee used to tweet. Because I like to think of myself of not being an i***t or an ignorant and as a person who thinks things through.

MS must tailor their PR efforts accordingly, so as to consider those people's sensibilities as well as our own! Slipping up, and then calling anyone who might be influenced by said slip up an idi0t compounds MS' problems. That is not good.

Granted, but people also have to open their eyes and think properly about things. But I usually don't expect much from the U.S. market - and I'm not saying this because I'm an european with some sort of superiority complex towards the U.S. I've seen my share of idiocy in my own side of the pond. But they break all records over there.

Quick, in two seconds, what was that tweet about? What part was most notable? That's right...

Nobody in this thread thought that tweet was a great help to MS' cause. The best opinion we got so far is "it really doesn't hurt them". Is that how low we're setting the bar for MS' PR? Is it really that bad to expect more professionalism?

It was something about yoga, I haven't read it in a while and I won't be bothering myself with checking again. Thing is, I probably wouldn't even know it was a tweet made from an iPhone if the OP hadn't brought it to our attention. I usually don't pay attention to what people use to post on social networks. I'm also yet to understand why do they (the social networks) even make that stuff show up on the posts... No one needs to know what a person uses to post. I'm guessing it's some sort of publicity, but I think it's kinda useless.

Expecting professionalism isn't bad. Expecting professionalism by making the assumption that WP sucks because someone at MS made a tweet (the least part of the tweet at that) on an iPhone for a Bing account... Kind of a stretch if you ask me.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Granted, but people also have to open their eyes and think properly about things. But I usually don't expect much from the U.S. market.

I get your point. It seems we basically agree, it's just that you have more faith in humanities ability to make informed tech purchasing decisions. Am I starting to think like a cynical old dude... I wonder?

sry to ask ...but can u install paid apps for free in wp8 devices..?

Are you really so cheap, that you don't want to pay the equivalent of a pack of chewing gum for an app someone spent months creating? You'd better be sorry you asked!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb