Notification center

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Why not swipe up from the Windows button? It's the windows home button, and the swipe up gesture is known to reveal stuff like Google Now or Control center in other platforms. So if you combine the two you get a windows based notification center.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Why not swipe up from the Windows button? It's the windows home button, and the swipe up gesture is known to reveal stuff like Google Now or Control center in other platforms. So if you combine the two you get a windows based notification center.

Would that work since you would be going from a capacative button, to bezel and then to the screen? Maybe it would. I honestly don't know...

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Swipe left would be the most easy one. Middle is your home screen. Right are the apps and left are the notifications. What could be more easy? And if you have a notification a small line in the left indicates it, or something like this. Now, the left side is wasted, use it for something!

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Swipe left would be the most easy one. Middle is your home screen. Right are the apps and left are the notifications. What could be more easy? And if you have a notification a small line in the left indicates it, or something like this. Now, the left side is wasted, use it for something!

But then you are limiting yourself to see the notifications only from the home screen.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Would that work since you would be going from a capacative button, to bezel and then to the screen? Maybe it would. I honestly don't know...

The 8x I believe is not a capacitive button but is a continuance of the touch screen. For instance if you are scrolling a page you can use the area where the "buttons" are to scroll with. On the Nokia phones its a bit different..

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Good point, but when do you need the notification center? When you were not at your phone and you missed something. When you are actually using the phone I don't see the need of a notification center, the notification is shown at the top anyway and you click on it if you want.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Good point, but when do you need the notification center? When you were not at your phone and you missed something. When you are actually using the phone I don't see the need of a notification center, the notification is shown at the top anyway and you click on it if you want.
I often swipe the toast notification off the screen when it comes up, and a notification center would be great to see what I ignored.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
OP, nice idea, so far from what I've seen(stupid notification tile), it is better accessible from anywhere than the tile. Only place it is inaccessible is lock screen. Maybe if you hold back button on lock screen it automatically shows notification center since their is no other reason to press the back button on the lock screen.

BitPusher2600

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm the only one (which is fine with me) that doesn't even want an additional notification system. Seriously, there are notifications that show on the lock screen, and numbers on tiles themselves as needed. Why is so much repetitive notification needed? All I see in all of this is additional resources being used by the OS (memory and battery) all for an additional functionality that is simply redundant.

Like I said though (and forgive me), I'm aware its just me.

zacharyaller

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm the only one (which is fine with me) that doesn't even want an additional notification system. Seriously, there are notifications that show on the lock screen, and numbers on tiles themselves as needed. Why is so much repetitive notification needed? All I see in all of this is additional resources being used by the OS (memory and battery) all for an additional functionality that is simply redundant.

Like I said though (and forgive me), I'm aware its just me.

I think most people want a notification center for things that aren't pinned, and hopefully it would help us find some notifications that don't pop up on the live tiles. I personally don't think I would use it too much either, that's why I don't want another tile or another page on the start screen.

zacharyaller

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
OP, nice idea, so far from what I've seen(stupid notification tile), it is better accessible from anywhere than the tile. Only place it is inaccessible is lock screen. Maybe if you hold back button on lock screen it automatically shows notification center since their is no other reason to press the back button on the lock screen.

Yeah my only hope is that we can access it from anywhere, whether it is a long press on the search button or whatever I don't care, I just don't want a tile. I think integrating it into systems that are already built in is key.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I honestly don't get why people are craving a notification center. I hated the notification center of Android. It was always full, always blinking, making me check it and all it had was a bunch of stupid notifications for apps I rarely careda bout. Windows Phone is much better: the apps I care about are pinned on the Start Screen, near the top. If there are notifications, I can see them and I can choose to open it and look at it or not. This is much better than being a slave to a drop-down notification center that always has notifications.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Nobody cared if you don't want a Notification Center!!! Notification Centers show all your stuff in one place and give you quick access to it. Honestly, what is a number going to do for me on a tile? Makes me feel like I'm using iOS 4. A notification center is a majority wanted feature and we need this for our OS, like really do I have time to scroll through my whole home screen and see if a tile has numbers?

RodimusMajor

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm still certain that the notification centre with the tile that we saw in the leaked screenshot was only part of it. We did, after all, see that asterisk on the task bar too, which leads me to believe that there might also be a drop-down menu of some sort and thus multiple ways to access the centre.

That said, I don't necessarily have much use for a notification centre either, but I will say that I'd like to see WP8 get one anyway, as it would signify a further evolution of the platform. Plus, I gotta admit, I tend to be a sucker for new features in general, lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720