AT&T in NYC - Epic Windows Phone Failure

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
So, my Verizon contract is finally up (time to get rid of my POS laggy android phone), and I am looking to get myself a Lumia 1020. Ive been thinking of this for quite some time now, I patrol the WP central forums to get information on apps, and such because I have a Surface RT, and really like the interface and want to switch to Windows Phone 8. So, knowing that AT&T is the only carrier to carry the 1020, I go out and try to demo it, and possibly buy one, except for the fact that I go to AT&T on Park Avenue and 51st street in Manhattan looking for the Windows phones, and there is no display, nothing........I have to literally circumnavigate the entire showroom/store only to find that there is only (1) Nokia windows phone in the entire store, tucked away into the back corner of the store next to the "dumb" flip phones. Its the Nokia Lumia 520..............just not getting it - They advertise the hell out of these phones, and the carriers don't even have them on display. Maybe this is a store specific event, ill go to another store nearby and see if it is anything different, but how in the hell does Microsoft expect to gain market share if their phones aren't even on shelves in the stores. just one more Fail onto the list - really frustrated right now - and to top it off, the only new phones they are releasing are phablets.........I don't want a brick in my pocket, so ill have to pass on that as well. Why cant we get rid of these stupid exclusives.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm in complete agreement. I wish Verizon had the 1020 available. I get that they use different radios, but can Nokia and Microsoft afford to play favorites? Shouldn't they be in everyone's face showing just how awesome they are?

Good luck with your phone hunting.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm in complete agreement. I wish Verizon had the 1020 available. I get that they use different radios, but can Nokia and Microsoft afford to play favorites? Shouldn't they be in everyone's face showing just how awesome they are?

Good luck with your phone hunting.

Ditto - can't wait for the Verizon version of 1020 to come, though I hope it has the same form factor so that all of the cases, battery grip, and other accessories will work with the 1020. It's ludicrous that we have to have changed phones on Verizon, so we can't use the wide variety of accessories that came out for the 920 with our 928s. Instead, we had to bang on the doors of manufacturers, and then wait for a small portion of those we tried to buy from to come out with accessories for only our phones. Just plain stupid.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes it's VERY stupid. Its the reason I have trouble finding accessories for the 8X I have now...its too low volume of a phone. It isn't worth manufacturer's time or money to make one off accessories. Ugh. If Verizon had the colorful Nokia devices like AT&T does they would have sold more and won some converts.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
That shocks me as my local AT&T stores have the displays front and center with big advertising. The workers are also very enthusiastic about them.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Did you visit a corporate store or a third party retailer store. They can be different.

Sent from my LG-D801 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
Att only know iPhone, heck in windows phone is not added to word prediction in wp8 but iPhone is there.(try ur self)

Sent from my Uuusumm Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
In two of my local ATT stores they pulled the 1020 display down just before the new iPhone came out and replaced it with that.
If you really want to compare WPs the only good place is to go to a MS store and if non is close by you are basically screwed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs