I'm right handed and I dont find the keys on the side to be a practical configuration, and the keys are not very comfortable to operate using my thumb.

All the controls are on the edge of the right side of the device (the same place your finger tips would be if you were left handed) if you are right handed you have to use your thumb and the keys are not in such a comfortable place for your thumb when holding the device correctly (as if you are using it-not picking it up to use but holding it firmly in the palm of your hand)

In other words: keys are in a place where they would be comfortable for a left handed person as its much easier to operate the device with the tips of your fingers and using your thumb to only operate the touch screen-IMO

What do you think ?
    Last edited by stalemate1; 10-23-2013 at 01:31 AM.
    10-23-2013 01:11 AM
    I'm left handed and I have no problem. It actually works very well as they're easy to reach.
    10-23-2013 01:15 AM
    I'm left handed and I have no problem. It actually works very well as they're easy to reach.
    Do you use your finger tips or thumb to operate the keys on the side ? And is it easy to notice which of the two ways of "reaching" the keys is easier and more comfortable - in other words do you notice a big difference or no difference at all when you compare using your fingertips or thumb ?
    10-23-2013 01:25 AM
    I'm a lefty too, and I've found the two situations almost interchangeable. When I'm at home in bed, my phone is charging to the right side of me, so I really only use the phone with my left hand when I'm out and about. I just noticed that I hold the phone the same way with both hands: ring finger on the camera button, pinky at the bottom edge, middle finger at the power button, and index finger on the back side. When I do this, my thumb is always free on either side, so I barely notice the change in button configuration. If anything, it's slightly harder to press buttons from the left side.
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-23-2013 03:33 AM
    The phone does appear to be made for the left hand and that's how I typically use it. It leaves the right hand to do other things. Like drink a coffee, have a snack. write something down. I'm right handed by the way.

I do use the phone in my right hand as well but find it more comfortable in my left. I also have fairly large hands so I don't have navigation or button pressing issues with either. My thumb is my friend. :)
    hs k likes this.
    10-23-2013 03:49 AM
    I hold mine in my left hand and typically use my left thumb to type. I'm actually right-handed, but I do not have any issues. I've always held phones in my left hand (even back in the days of landlines), so my right hand would be free for writing, if necessary.
    10-23-2013 03:54 AM
    The phone does appear to be made for the left hand and that's how I typically use it. It leaves the right hand to do other things. Like drink a coffee, have a snack. write something down. I'm right handed by the way.

I do use the phone in my right hand as well but find it more comfortable in my left. I also have fairly large hands so I don't have navigation or button pressing issues with either. My thumb is my friend. :)
    This is pretty much how I use mine. I have small hands - work gloves, I wear a medium, and a lot of times it's hard to find them - but generally if I'm reading, I'm holding it with my left hand. If I'm typing, I use both thumbs 99% of the time. I do occasionally hold it in my right hand, but when I do, I have a hard time reaching the back button with my thumb. This is why I think the 4.5" screen is about the biggest that I could comfortably use.
    10-23-2013 06:24 AM
    Im the same as Laura - phone in the left hand so right is always free to do other stuff being right handed - I use my 1020 with both hands though. Very rarely use my thumb for anything other than checking notifications so if im using it I hold it in my left and use my right for typing etc.

Using it right handed does cause issues with the inside of my palm always hitting the search button.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    10-23-2013 06:34 AM
    This is pretty much how I use mine. I have small hands - work gloves, I wear a medium, and a lot of times it's hard to find them - but generally if I'm reading, I'm holding it with my left hand. If I'm typing, I use both thumbs 99% of the time. I do occasionally hold it in my right hand, but when I do, I have a hard time reaching the back button with my thumb. This is why I think the 4.5" screen is about the biggest that I could comfortably use.
    I don't want a bigger phone either. I think the L920 is as large as I'd like to go. The large screens are nice but it's getting a little silly. If RT came out inch 7" I'd consider it but not for a phone.
    10-23-2013 06:36 AM
    I'm right-handed but I feel it's much easier to use my Lumia left-handed.
    10-23-2013 06:37 AM
    I don't find any difficulty using the phone with either hands. I use my left hand to operate my phone when i'm using my system or eating. Mostly I use my right hand and sometimes both hands ex. when playing games. I really don't think the phone was designed for left handed people.
    10-23-2013 06:44 AM
    I'm left dominant and generally hold my phone in my left hand. I find it quite easy to use that way. The hard keys are much easier with the left than the right.
    10-23-2013 06:44 AM
    I'm mixed handed, and with a phone pretty much ambidextrous. I find either way fine, and will swap hands when one tapping hand gets tired. My 820 works well with this, not seeming to favour one hand over the other. I find it easy to operate the side buttons whichever hand I'm using.

For some things, especially needing fine motor control, I can be ambisinister. Thank goodness that doesn't apply to phone use!
    10-23-2013 06:47 AM
    if you are right handed you have to use your thumb and the keys are not in such a comfortable place for your thumb when holding the device correctly
    Yikes, I didn't realize there were rules on how to correctly hold a telephone!

I'm right handed and have no issues using my thumb to press the buttons. Good thing I'm holding it wrong.
    10-23-2013 08:03 AM
    Yikes, I didn't realize there were rules on how to correctly hold a telephone!

I'm right handed and have no issues using my thumb to press the buttons. Good thing I'm holding it wrong.

Not rules. Just seems like the more "conventional" way to use a phone, unless your double jointed...
    10-23-2013 08:11 AM
    Hmm interesting to think about. I have never thought about it. All though I am right handed and usually hold the phone in my left hand using my finger tips for the controls and my right hand to typically click and browse through things. This is comfortable to me. I also talk on the phone with my left hand and left ear. However I just checked holding it in my right hand and that feels fine as well and now that I think about it I think that I use both hands. Depends what I'm doing with the other. I keep the phone in my right pocket as well.
    10-23-2013 08:24 AM
    I hate the size of my 920; I guess I just have extremely small hands. Using my 920 one-handed is a pain and it really stinks because I would like to have a black or cyan 920, but I need a gloss one because it offers extra grip (I don't like using a case). I've settled for a white one (being a neutral color that goes better with any live tile color), but really really want a black one.
    10-23-2013 09:24 AM
    I'm a righty and hold my phone in my left hand while using my right to do stuff like text or play games. I never even used my iPhone 4 one handedly, though. One thing I have to say as far as my WPs go is that it's much easier to use the Lumia 810 with one hand than it is the 920. For instance, pressing the back button with my thumb when the phone is in my left hand is nearly impossible with my 920 because it's so wide.
    10-23-2013 10:47 AM
    Do you use your finger tips or thumb to operate the keys on the side ? And is it easy to notice which of the two ways of "reaching" the keys is easier and more comfortable - in other words do you notice a big difference or no difference at all when you compare using your fingertips or thumb ?

I use my thumb to operate the screen and bottom keys. The next finger for the sound, and my middle finger for the power button and camera.

I don't use my right hand. When I do, it's when I'm using a stylus.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 520 using Tapatalk
    10-24-2013 06:45 PM