Glance Screen, good or bad, useful or not ?

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
In YOUR opinion...is glance screen a useful feature or an irritating second lock screen that you must get past to use your device ? Going glance screen> lock screen> home screen.( in stead of) : lock screen> home screen makes no sense. It's much longer.

I mean the home screen already gives you everything glance screen does and much more like email counts, missed calls, weather etc...it can also be set with any wallpaper your hearts desire.

What functionality does glance screen really add to wp8 ?

Why would anyone need/want glance screen ? (in your opinion)

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
invaluable for me, having come from symbian / meegos detailed sleeping screens, the glance screen as it stands, is VERY basic, but useful, and knowing that notifications are coming soon is gonna be the icing on the cake! - just to put it in context, i would not consider a phone which didnt have a sleeping / glance screen of some sort.

Deutscher2

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
"or an irritating second lock screen that you must get past to use your device"

Glance IS NO LOCK-SCREEN.
Glance is just your black Screen, which would be (without Glance) plaine Black. Why People don't get this??

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
"or an irritating second lock screen that you must get past to use your device"

Glance IS NO LOCK-SCREEN.
Glance is just your black Screen, which would be (without Glance) plaine Black. Why People don't get this??

We get it, we don't need it. My phone is either on being used or in my pocket. It was cool when it was just the clock, but now it's becoming a duplicate of the lock screen. Completely defeating the purpose of Glance.

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
How often you just want to look on your lockscreen to see the notifications on a day? 50-100 times? So, imagine now you can see them on your lock glance screen. Much less battery consumption. I think that's the reason for glance screen (with nokia black update). And yes, I want less battery consumption!!

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
It is useful.
It gives me the time continuously and the phone doesn't have to be up and running to do it. It has nothing to do with phone lock. I never have to use the power button just to know the time.
In the next update notifications will be added to glance making it more useful.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I love it! A lot more than I thought I would. I am not using any background photos on the Glance screen, just the clock. I tried the Glance Background beta app but don't really have a need to show an image of something on the Glance screen when I have the beautiful lock screen for that stuff.

However, showing the clock, charge or vibrate indicators, and eventually notifications on Glance is really helpful. Before Glance I would not see anything on the screen when the phone was charging or just sitting around. Now when I use Peak I can "glance" at the time whenever I want just by waving my hand over the screen, or see the time and a charging indicator on the screen when it's charging. Once the new updates roll out, it will be even better to see a notification on Glance and be able to change the color of the Glance screen text. Just my opinion :smile:

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
We get it, we don't need it. My phone is either on being used or in my pocket. It was cool when it was just the clock, but now it's becoming a duplicate of the lock screen. Completely defeating the purpose of Glance.
Then turn it off. Don't take the feature away from those that like it, you little dictator...

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Very useful for me. I like my background image and being able to quickly access info without destroying my battery life is awesome. Glance screen should get a big boost once GDR3 officially rolls out and Nokia updates GS to show other notifications like text and email. Combined with double tap to wake and my phone just reached a whole new level of convenience.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Then turn it off. Don't take the feature away from those that like it, you little dictator...

Woah calm down there pal, I don't want them to remove it. Not once did I say they should remove it! The thread is asking if we find it useful, I dont, I have it disabled. I hope they keep it for those who like it!

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
How often you just want to look on your lockscreen to see the notifications on a day? 50-100 times? So, imagine now you can see them on your lock glance screen. Much less battery consumption. I think that's the reason for glance screen (with nokia black update). And yes, I want less battery consumption!!

But does glance screen show more indications than just: battery, Time, silent/vibrate ?...does it show missed calls, emails, number of new messages, date ?

In my opinion Nokia should have added full functionality to it, as you would have when you unlock the device, as an emergency battery saving feature, such as using here drive or internet explorer in glance screen mode with no battery eating bright colours. (In other words, take the home screen and all apps and give the ability to show them in a glance screen type of way. )

Using Windows since 1998

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

I like it because I have mine sit on stand wireless charger. And I can just double tap the screen to unlock my phone, also swipe across the sensor to see what time it is. This will be very helpful when Nokia Black update arrive. You can glance at if there is messages, or missed calls etc.

coolraoul

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I find it extremely useful, on my desk, in meetings, just look at it and you have the time and soon the notifications.
Easy, convenient, perfect. It's no lock screen, because the lock screen primilarly ensures you don't unlock the phone by mistake. I see it as a more powerful notification light (once Lumia black will be there) and a meaningful way to use the screen when phone is locked.
It's also battery-friendly as you won't power up the screen to see the clock/notifications as soon as you would without it.
An invaluable addition to a smartphone imo (which is why the Moto X and GS4 are kinda using it).

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
But does glance screen show more indications than just: battery, Time, silent/vibrate ?...does it show missed calls, emails, number of new messages, date ?

In my opinion Nokia should have added full functionality to it, as you would have when you unlock the device, as an emergency battery saving feature, such as using here drive or internet explorer in glance screen mode with no battery eating bright colours. (In other words, take the home screen and all apps and give the ability to show them in a glance screen type of way. )

Using Windows since 1998

Ah, no. I had a strange temp glitch that happened once, when I unlocked the phone glance mode didn't deactivate as it should and everything was glancified, start screen, lock screen, apps etc. Firstly, it is dog slow like that as graphics accel is deactivated. Secondly, it is all horribly unreadable.

Trust me, you don't want anything other than really basic stuff running in glance mode.

Last edited:

ssjmec

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi, sorry for bumping this old thread. I just have a question regarding glance screen and battery life.

Now, I am aware that displaying the glance screen doesn't consume that much battery specially on AMOLED screens. But how about the proximity sensor? When in peek or always on mode, it seems the proximity sensor is continuously powered to detect hand hovering and/or holstering. Is the power consumption negligible or I can save some juice turning this off?

I can test this myself but would like to ask in case someone already has a knowledge about this. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss