Windows Alias - Outlook.com

cristianocr7

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Due to sync settings with my primary MS account, I created an alias account to use as my go to email moving forward. I am keeping the primary MS account but no syncing email on my phone with it.

Now that I have an alias, I tested it and it works fine because I can control the sync settings for email, calendars, etc...BUT..when I send the email, it comes from my Primary account to users?
If that is the case, should I just give users my Primary MS email account and not my alias email account? And if I do that, is the alias account just for me to know and no-one else? Having hard time understanding alias account. On my pc, I have 2 MS Acct's and its all the same, duplicated of course with 2 different email addresses.

The only reason I have created an alias is because on my Lumia 928, under my MS Primary email acct, I could not sync manually. The only option was to sync as items arrive, daily, 15mts , etc...There was no manual option and I did not like getting emails @ 2am, which is when they came in. Now that I have created an alias, I have that option but.....

I'm having difficulty understanding why I should not have just created a new MS account and not an alias?

Thoughts? Help!

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Actually you can basically remove your primary email, and set your alias as your primary, then re-add your primary as your alias or just not add it back if you don't want to be confused.

trevact

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
not really on topic, but does anyone know how to migrate their windows live ID to outlook, in such a way that purchase history for my lumia will be carried along with skydrive, etc?

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
not really on topic, but does anyone know how to migrate their windows live ID to outlook, in such a way that purchase history for my lumia will be carried along with skydrive, etc?

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

I believe you have to do something similar to what omgitsnick mentioned. Add the new outlook.com address as an alias to your existing MS account (live/hotmail, whatever), then set it as the primary. Not sure it's possible to transfer completely from one account to another new account.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
There is a settings for what you are trying to do, they are there a little hard to find but I just saw these a week or so ago, If I remember they are under more mail settings assuming you're do this from a computer. Sorry I near a computer now but tomorrow if your still stuck.
Update: one other thing there is email forwarding and alot of other settings in this same area.

cristianocr7

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I removed my primary email from my Lumia by unchecking sync email settings. When I added the alias, it synced. Works perfect. My only confusion is when I send emails from my phone now, it still comes from my primary? And, I guess that's OK.....But, let me ask this:

If I go back in on my pc, I have the option to make my alias the primary. Will this solve my issue about confusion?
And, when I do that, I assume my master MS Primary email account will remain the same, even though I just switched alias's? This is the current MS email outlook.com I do want for email, hence I have an alias email now? Purely for all the sync issues I had.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Try this I think this is what I was talking about in my post above.

Click the Options icon Options icon, and then click More mail settings.

Under Managing your account, click Your email accounts.

Under Default "From" address, select a default account.

You can also change what address an email is sent from while you're composing the email.

In your inbox, click New.

Click the down arrow next to the From address.

Down arrow next to the From address

Choose the address from which to send the mail.
Remember do this from your PC desktop.
Good luck.

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I believe you have to do something similar to what omgitsnick mentioned. Add the new outlook.com address as an alias to your existing MS account (live/hotmail, whatever), then set it as the primary. Not sure it's possible to transfer completely from one account to another new account.

You cannot transfer purchases from one email to another, however it is possible to upgrade your primary email from Hotmail to outlook without losing past purchases and transactions. It is basically your Xbox account that holds purchases, your email address is just an extension to that like a key. So with this, you can still 'rename' your primary account by giving it an alias, setting that as primary, making your primary to alias, and gives you the option to either keep it or remove it. After renaming your xbox account should automatically use the renamed email address, but it's a must to check just to be sure.

cristianocr7

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
pmhgeneral - Thanks. I did what you said and it appears to be working.

omgitsnick - If I try what you suggested. Changed my primary to my alias and my alias to my primary - will this change anything with my Primary being the MS account for XBox, etc..I do not have an XBox yet, but my primary account I do not want to change. Only to an alias and switch the alias with primary, etc...Just wanted to double check to make sure it won't matter for the Master MS account, etc...

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
If you change from alias to primary, nothing will change. It's just basically renaming your email address, so if you change from alias to primary and vice versa, you'll have to login with the email address that is set as primary, and your services like skydrive, xbox account will adopt to it. Keep in mind that any 3rd party subscription sites that uses your email (eg. Ebay, paypal, etc.) has to be updated if you rename your email. Also, you'll have to reset you windows phone for it to use the new email address.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos