*EDIT*- GDR3 MAY solve the music duplication issue.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I just got tired of messing with it and turned off cloud music and re-synched my collection. Seemed like the best solution until a better fix came through. Haven't had a problem since :/

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Here are my 2 cents from experience:

1. I noticed that music duplication occurs whenever I connect my phone to the computer and *access* it with either Windows Phone app, WMP or File Explorer.
2. Whenever an app tries to access music on the SD card, it will duplicate.
3. Metadata is stored in phone memory (artist background, album info, file directory, etc), so if something messed up, hard reset is required.
4. When SongArc was released, I knew it would have to access the music files. This also caused music duplication.

There is something really wrong with WP file management. Although it did not duplicate when I dev-unlocked my phone and deployed xaps on it, so I'm certain it only happens when there's activity with music files on the SD card.

What I did when I was so furious was to get Music Pass > Reformat SD card > Hard Reset > re-download the whole catalog on all my devices with Music Pass. What I do now is I manage my library in Xbox Music on my tablet or laptop, and my phone will follow. My pictures are stored, and can be shared directly to SkyDrive so I won't have to connect my phone to the computer. I have not encountered this since uninstalling SongArc, great game but I cannot stand duplication.

IamAdiSri

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Here are my 2 cents from experience:

1. I noticed that music duplication occurs whenever I connect my phone to the computer and *access* it with either Windows Phone app, WMP or File Explorer.
2. Whenever an app tries to access music on the SD card, it will duplicate.
3. Metadata is stored in phone memory (artist background, album info, file directory, etc), so if something messed up, hard reset is required.
4. When SongArc was released, I knew it would have to access the music files. This also caused music duplication.

There is something really wrong with WP file management. Although it did not duplicate when I dev-unlocked my phone and deployed xaps on it, so I'm certain it only happens when there's activity with music files on the SD card.

What I did when I was so furious was to get Music Pass > Reformat SD card > Hard Reset > re-download the whole catalog on all my devices with Music Pass. What I do now is I manage my library in Xbox Music on my tablet or laptop, and my phone will follow. My pictures are stored, and can be shared directly to SkyDrive so I won't have to connect my phone to the computer. I have not encountered this since uninstalling SongArc, great game but I cannot stand duplication.

I can't switch off cloud music. Basically because, here in India we still don't have xbox music. -_- There isn't anything to switch off!! :/ I have only 2 apps which can access my music, Find My Music, and MP3 downloader. And i don't know if this classifies, but there is an app i use to remove the music controls toggled by the volume rocker. Whatsay???

Christian Theodorus

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I can't switch off cloud music. Basically because, here in India we still don't have xbox music. -_- There isn't anything to switch off!! :/ I have only 2 apps which can access my music, Find My Music, and MP3 downloader. And i don't know if this classifies, but there is an app i use to remove the music controls toggled by the volume rocker. Whatsay???

Me too, I have this problem with my L920 (Amber + GDR2), is there any solution? This is quite annoying bug.

IamAdiSri

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Me too, I have this problem with my L920 (Amber + GDR2), is there any solution? This is quite annoying bug.

there are solutions, which work for their respective inventers. :p MS has also given a solution from their side, telling people to switch off matadata retrieval from Xbox (basically switching off cloud music). However, i don't think that works either. Especially for people like,me who don't even have Xbox music as of yet. -_-
i feel duped. My phone has a glitch because of a service i DON'T have.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I never had this duplication issue and I never participated in those threads, until now. I had my HTC 8S gone through several updates aka GDR2 and GDR3. Just a few days after having GDR3 (on the day it was released) installed, I added one (1) track into my phone using Windows Media Player and to my disgust, I now have the same problem as the others.

What I did is to open up the Windows Phone app, and it confirmed the duplicates, so I removed it from the app. Closed the app, rmoved my phone from USB and confirmed duplicate tracks are gone. Re-connected my phone, invoked Windows Phone app and added over a hundred tracks. Went the way it should be, i.e., no duplicates. I only have about several hundreds of tracks consuming 8GB of data. They're recorded in the highest resolution the phone can take from my own personal collections that I have backed up to my Synology NAS.

I don't think GDR3 has anything to do with this.

Carl Joseph

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I've used this method to fix duplication on my Lumia 820, try it:

1. Install, then open Windows Phone App for Desktop (Windows Phone app for desktop (Preview 3) | Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone How-to | Windows Phone (United Kingdom) and go to the Phone tab
  2. Delete all the songs (CTRL + A, then SPACE will Select All)
  3. Close the app
  4. Unplug the phone from the USB slot
  5. In Windows Explorer, go to this location:
  6. C:\Users\<YOUR_ACCOUNT_NAME>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Phone
  7. Delete everything in the folder
  8. Check the phone for any remaining music files (shouldn't be any!).
  9. Connect the phone via USB and sync your music with either the Windows Phone App (Windows 8 ONLY) or Windows Phone App for Desktop.

WARNING:
If you use Windows Media Player to sync music, the songs will sync but if the phone is restarted, all the album information disappears and you can only access your music via the SONGS tab in the Music + Video app!:angry:

creanyo

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys, I got this annoying problem but after I flashed my cel and after that a hard reset the duplicate problem disappeared for songs, pics and videos....got the update 3 w/o problems (preview and consumer)..maybe the trick here is the hard reset after the update or to got the update 2 flashing it...before updates I tried all the options you are given but at least to me they were temporally solutions...I never use WMP to sync so the problem is definitely a OS bug.

IamAdiSri

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I never had this duplication issue and I never participated in those threads, until now. I had my HTC 8S gone through several updates aka GDR2 and GDR3. Just a few days after having GDR3 (on the day it was released) installed, I added one (1) track into my phone using Windows Media Player and to my disgust, I now have the same problem as the others.

What I did is to open up the Windows Phone app, and it confirmed the duplicates, so I removed it from the app. Closed the app, rmoved my phone from USB and confirmed duplicate tracks are gone. Re-connected my phone, invoked Windows Phone app and added over a hundred tracks. Went the way it should be, i.e., no duplicates. I only have about several hundreds of tracks consuming 8GB of data. They're recorded in the highest resolution the phone can take from my own personal collections that I have backed up to my Synology NAS.

I don't think GDR3 has anything to do with this.

I agree. Let's hope Windows Phone 8.1 brings a solution. :/

IamAdiSri

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I've used this method to fix duplication on my Lumia 820, try it:

1. Install, then open Windows Phone App for Desktop (Windows Phone app for desktop (Preview 3) | Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone How-to | Windows Phone (United Kingdom) and go to the Phone tab
  2. Delete all the songs (CTRL + A, then SPACE will Select All)
  3. Close the app
  4. Unplug the phone from the USB slot
  5. In Windows Explorer, go to this location:
  6. C:\Users\<YOUR_ACCOUNT_NAME>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Phone
  7. Delete everything in the folder
  8. Check the phone for any remaining music files (shouldn't be any!).
  9. Connect the phone via USB and sync your music with either the Windows Phone App (Windows 8 ONLY) or Windows Phone App for Desktop.

WARNING:
If you use Windows Media Player to sync music, the songs will sync but if the phone is restarted, all the album information disappears and you can only access your music via the SONGS tab in the Music + Video app!:angry:

Guess I'll try this. Right now i have so many duplicates that my phone freezes up when i try to delete them from the phone itself. :|

IamAdiSri

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys, I got this annoying problem but after I flashed my cel and after that a hard reset the duplicate problem disappeared for songs, pics and videos....got the update 3 w/o problems (preview and consumer)..maybe the trick here is the hard reset after the update or to got the update 2 flashing it...before updates I tried all the options you are given but at least to me they were temporally solutions...I never use WMP to sync so the problem is definitely a OS bug.

That it is. The OS is at fault here. I too would have tried a hard reset, but i have too much data that i would lose and be unable to retrieve as i don't have a Wi-Fi connection as of now. I have around 5000 songs on my phone and 3000 replicas. a total of 8000 files. Shuffling songs is a nightmare. -_-

WINDOW LOVIN

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I noticed I only get duplicates after I play the same song one or even twice the number of times I play it is the number of times it gets duplicated! Other then that if I dont play a track it wont duplicate itself. Very strange! Hopefully after we get black it gets fixed!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb