*EDIT*- GDR3 MAY solve the music duplication issue.

IamAdiSri

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I've been using wp8 since before GDR1 was released, and haven't yet found a solution to the music duplication issue (Music+Videos). I was wondering that now that quite a few people have GDR3 or at least the GDR3 developers' preview, has anyone noticed if the issue has been solved?? I'm honestly sick of getting up to 20 duplicates of my songs. >_<

*UPDATE*- There has been a report or two that GDR3/GDR3 Developers Preview fixes the music duplication problems! ��

*UPDATE*- I've confirmed that GDR3 does NOT fix the song duplication issue. :(

Last edited:

IamAdiSri

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: Does GDR3 solve the music duplication issue???

I've only got this one person's perspective on this thread. Last post on it.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/245467-photos-unsupported-file-format.html

Apparently it does along with other SD card issues. Keep in mind cheap SD cards are an issue as well.

Well, if the guy is right, its pretty good news!! :D GDR2 didn't even begin to fix the duplication issue. I've put a total of 3000 audio files on my phone, but the duplicates make the total no. of files go upward of 4500. :/ This also causes lag in the Music+Videos (app??). I do hope that the MS fixes the issue.
BTW, i am using a SanDisk 8GB SD card. It isn't one of the cheap ones either. So, i doubt there's a problem with the SD card.
To top it off, Indians received the GDR2 update just early last week. Nokia/MS India screwed up big time. :/ So i just hope they release GDR3 on time. :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Does GDR3 solve the music duplication issue???

Well, if the guy is right, its pretty good news!! :D GDR2 didn't even begin to fix the duplication issue. I've put a total of 3000 audio files on my phone, but the duplicates make the total no. of files go upward of 4500. :/ This also causes lag in the Music+Videos (app??). I do hope that the MS fixes the issue.
BTW, i am using a SanDisk 8GB SD card. It isn't one of the cheap ones either. So, i doubt there's a problem with the SD card.
To top it off, Indians received the GDR2 update just early last week. Nokia/MS India screwed up big time. :/ So i just hope they release GDR3 on time. :)

Just put put the GDR3 developers preview on if you're comfortable doing that. It's free. Also it's the full GDR3 as in the RTM. As for SD cards, keep in mind one thing, they all go corrupt eventually, even the good ones. I've read plenty of reviews and articles on this. They're not as robust as people make them out to be.

IamAdiSri

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Just put put the GDR3 developers preview on if you're comfortable doing that. It's free. Also it's the full GDR3 as in the RTM. As for SD cards, keep in mind one thing, they all go corrupt eventually, even the good ones. I've read plenty of reviews and articles on this. They're not as robust as people make them out to be.

I would have updated my phone to the Dev. Preview, except for the fact that the preview still has some bugs and that I'll have to update to the consumer edition at some point of time. :/ I think it would be a better idea to just wait it out. :)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I would have updated my phone to the Dev. Preview, except for the fact that the preview still has some bugs and that I'll have to update to the consumer edition at some point of time. :/ I think it would be a better idea to just wait it out. :)

Go ahead and update it. The developer preview is the final build. The build numbers have been published by Microsoft, and two days ago Sprint started pushing GDR3 to the HTC 8XT. There are no more updates to GDR3 coming.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

As hopmedic has pointed out any bugs that were there are now gone, the preview is the final build. There's no further changes coming. You'll still get the RTM version and whatever firmware is coming.

IamAdiSri

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
As hopmedic has pointed out any bugs that were there are now gone, the preview is the final build. There's no further changes coming. You'll still get the RTM version and whatever firmware is coming.

If that is the case then I'll seriously consider updating. There's no point sticking to GDR2 if there aren't any problems with GDR3. :/

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I didn't say the bugs were gone - I just said that the build was final. :wink:

Here's something to keep in mind... Did iOS 7 ship without bugs? iOS 6? iOS 5? Ice Cream Sandwich? GDR2? Windows 8? Nope - they've all shipped with bugs. Anytime you're dealing with software that has millions of lines of code, you're going to find bugs. No matter how closely you look, or no matter how much you test in a limited segment. What's important is that those bugs are fixed later when discovered.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I didn't say the bugs were gone - I just said that the build was final. :wink:

LOL! Okay. It's the final, including the usual bugs. :p

Seriously though I've had no issues and most people are the same. There's always those who have issues, even with GDR2. I'd say if GDR2 is good on your phone then GDR3 should be.

IamAdiSri

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I guess you guys are right. :/Though it would be a pity if the duplication issue isn't solved. Btw, where do you guys get you music from?? :-o

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I guess you guys are right. :/Though it would be a pity if the duplication issue isn't solved. Btw, where do you guys get you music from?? :-o

I think the duplicate songs is partially due to poor quality SD cards. Check your card in a card reader and see if there's any issues with it.

I get my music from here and there... *whistles* as he walks away...

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I think the duplicate songs is partially due to poor quality SD cards. Check your card in a card reader and see if there's any issues with it.

I get my music from here and there... *whistles* as he walks away...

My 928 has no SD card....... :wink:

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

Unfortunately GDR3 + SanDisk 32GB card still didn't solve my problem.
I suspect the Hard Reset may have cleared the problem and not the workings of the new OS.

I dragged and dropped from my old troublesome card in a card reader onto my newly formatted card in phone and still had duplicates - 2 in Music&Videos and 3 in Nokia Music.
Then I started doing some testing and found this way.

1. Turn off all XBox crap in Music&Videos settings.
  2. Format card
  3. Turn off and restart after format
  4. Plug in, drag and drop music and don't use phone til unplugged.
  5. Also remove spurious artist files that are in the Phone->Music folder that still linger after formatting (convinced that isn't helping and why they are on the "Phone" and not the "SD card" I have no idea)
  6. Unplug.
  7. Check music area.

Once you have a clean build of your SD card format and have removed odd files as per 5. it seems stable.
I found looking at the music while still plugged in seemed to compromise the data too - I didn't operate the phone til it was unplugged and I had finished.
A lot of this is suspicion (and superstition!) but this worked for me.

IamAdiSri

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately GDR3 + SanDisk 32GB card still didn't solve my problem.
I suspect the Hard Reset may have cleared the problem and not the workings of the new OS.

I dragged and dropped from my old troublesome card in a card reader onto my newly formatted card in phone and still had duplicates - 2 in Music&Videos and 3 in Nokia Music.
Then I started doing some testing and found this way.

1. Turn off all XBox crap in Music&Videos settings.
  2. Format card
  3. Turn off and restart after format
  4. Plug in, drag and drop music and don't use phone til unplugged.
  5. Also remove spurious artist files that are in the Phone->Music folder that still linger after formatting (convinced that isn't helping and why they are on the "Phone" and not the "SD card" I have no idea)
  6. Unplug.
  7. Check music area.

Once you have a clean build of your SD card format and have removed odd files as per 5. it seems stable.
I found looking at the music while still plugged in seemed to compromise the data too - I didn't operate the phone til it was unplugged and I had finished.
A lot of this is suspicion (and superstition!) but this worked for me.

I've already done this. And i was actually hopeful, because the duplicates had disappeared for two days. However on the third day i had to restart my phone. When i switched it back on, there were two copies of almost every song. :(
i think that every time i soft reset/power off and then power on my phone, a few new copies are created. :/
Thanks anyways. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786