Still can't sync playlists from XBox Music in 8.1?

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something but I tried adding a song to a playlist in the list of playlists in XBox Music, and it's not showing up on my Lumia 929. I thought XBM was one of the major focuses of 8.1

I miss Zune. :unhappysweat:

Last edited:

BadIntentVG

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something but I tried adding a song to a playlist in the list of playlists in XBox Music, and it's not showing up on my Lumia 929. I thought XMB was one of the major focuses of 8.1

I miss Zune. :unhappysweat:
I miss it too. Disappointed syncing isn't better, but I'm not surprised at this point. How hard would it really be to have all your playlists and songs in the Xbox Music app sync whenever you connect your phone? Couldn't be that hard, Zune did it for years...

The funny thing is, I see what they're going for, but they didn't think it out very well at all. They want ALL your music to come from the subscription service with no copies of the media as your own. If anyone were to actually do this, the syncing should work flawlessly since all your playlists and songs would be in the "cloud" and you would never have to physically connect to the computer, and you avoid the absolutely terrible Windows Phone app altogether. All it takes is one track not in their subscription service that you want to sync, and things become a nightmare real quick. When you download songs from multiple devices (both phone and laptop for instance), it gets plain comical how difficult it is to get the same songs and playlists on both.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
yup, if you go 100% streaming for your music, it works great! Throw in just a few albums of your own and it all goes down the drain. All i'm waiting for is for a fix to this and then me and my family will throw thousands of dollars at Microsoft to get everyone outfitted.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. It does seem to be geared toward managing everything in the cloud and buying/streaming music exclusively through them. Unfortunately this isn't possible for me. I have A LOT of rare and unreleased music that's not even on their radar. I even have some music I got straight from independent artists themselves. If this is part of some sort of anti-piracy initiative then it failed miserably. All it's doing is making it more difficult for anyone that's been listening to music pre-1998 to organize their music on Windows 8. I'd never used Windows Media Player before and now it's the only music app I use because it's the only one that plays semi-nice with my phone.

Someone should come up with a hack to get Zune to work on WP8 handsets. I'd make them some sandwiches for their troubles.

Torontonian22

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I found a fix for now. It's not logical at all but it works.

I created a playlist in Xbox music on my surface pro, hooked up my 920 and opened the windows phone app (modern ui app).

Then I struggled for a while and I tried something totally random while desperate.

1. in Xbox music, select your playlist
2. Open the charm bar
3. Click on "share"
4. You should see the windows phone app in the list, select it
5. It'll ask you to share it with your phone
After a few seconds, all my 59 songs were sent to my phone.

Opened my music app on the 920 and my playlist was there!

Looks like the order wasn't matching the one on my tablet though. Not a big deal for me as I listen my playlist on random anyway.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: just checked the playlist again on my phone and the order is actually the exact same as on my tablet. No duplicates either. That's good news :)

Last edited:

zaliste

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Does this still work for you? When I hit share it says "you don't have any apps that can share this content". I do have the Windows Phone app installed and working.

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I found a fix for now. It's not logical at all but it works.

I created a playlist in Xbox music on my surface pro, hooked up my 920 and opened the windows phone app (modern ui app).

Then I struggled for a while and I tried something totally random while desperate.

1. in Xbox music, select your playlist
2. Open the charm bar
3. Click on "share"
4. You should see the windows phone app in the list, select it
5. It'll ask you to share it with your phone
After a few seconds, all my 59 songs were sent to my phone.

Opened my music app on the 920 and my playlist was there!

Looks like the order wasn't matching the one on my tablet though. Not a big deal for me as I listen my playlist on random anyway.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: just checked the playlist again on my phone and the order is actually the exact same as on my tablet. No duplicates either. That's good news :)

I was glad to find this post since I hadn't yet been able to sync my playlists to my phone (actually, I could partially sync some playlists via Windows Explorer but couldn't sync any playlists created in the Xbox Music app on my laptop). So I went through the steps described above and it seems to have copied all the playlist songs to my 928 but not the actual playlists. Not sure what's going on with that. I would just recreate the playlists on my phone, but so far I can't find a way to create or edit playlist on the phone (that is, it seems like playlists have to be created on my laptop and then synced (if possible) to my 928). Weird. I'm also not able to delete playlists from my phone -- pressing on the playlist name reveals the "Delete" option, but clicking Delete doesn't do anything.

So far, I'm finding the use of my trial Xbox Music Pass to be generally confusing and not especially user friendly in terms of having the same music across all my devices, but I'm hoping that's just operator error (me) and not a poorly designed system.

simbadogg

Aug 28, 2008
Visit site
Thanks so much man. The 8.1 update for WP better bring back a lot of the zune functionality. This is honestly fuggin ridiculous. I still have zune software on my desktop to download podcasts, I cannot believe they thought it was a good idea to ship xbox music/xbox video without the ability to to download and sync podcasts. There's a certain inelegance that I have grown to expect in so many MSFT products over the years. This is bad...

simbadogg

Aug 28, 2008
Visit site
Thanks so much man. The 8.1 update for WP better bring back a lot of the zune functionality. This is honestly fuggin ridiculous. I still have zune software on my desktop to download podcasts, I cannot believe they thought it was a good idea to ship xbox music/xbox video without the ability to to download and sync podcasts. There's a certain inelegance that I have grown to expect in so many MSFT products over the years. This is bad...
I take it back, adds music to my 520, but doesn't add the actual playlist! This is seriously ridiculous. I'm not even going to try this on my 1020.

Torontonian22

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

Sorry, I have been a little MIA for the last couple months.

The steps I described above are still working for me on my 920. I also looked for duplicates and I don't have any. My playlists are showing fine under "selection". I may have to check the storage status though.

Just a quick update, I have experienced a similar type of issue the first time I tried to export a playlist:

1. Your Windows phone app is open in Modern UI, your phone is connected, Xbox music is open etc
2. When you select the playlist, do you select the songs that are in the playlist or do you just highlight the playlist name? I realized that if you highlight a specific song (or songs) in the playlist and hit "Share", it will just send the song(s) to the windows phone, and not the playlist. I need to actually highlight the playlist itself in the left panel of Xbox music in order to export it.

Now, I may of course be wrong :). But I'm seeing the Playlist under "Selection" and I'm not seeing any duplicates. I'll check the storage status on my phone and will let you know.

I do agree, it's ridiculous that an easy thing such as sharing playlists is so freaking retarded.

BTW, after exporting a Playlist from my surface to my 920, I can of course play it on the 920 but I can also add songs to it directly on the phone and save a new playlist with the added songs.

I'll try to do a quick video when I have some time just to show the steps I'm doing.

Jonnny4

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
The problem is this feature works fine on an the Android app. If I create a playlist it syncs across every device except the windows phone. It is crippling when your own app works better for a competing ecosystem.

tpicnic05

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if this has been discovered yet, but its been bothering me for awhile and I was able to get the issue resolved and should work for you too:

1. Log into xbox.music.com
2. Create "playlist1"
3. Add all the music you want to it.
4. Select all the music in that playlist and click "Add to collection"
5. Create "playlist2"
6. Highlight all the songs in "playlist1" and click "Add to playlist2"
7. Either delete or keep "playlist1", but "playlist2" should have all songs listed on this playlist on your phone.

After these steps, I was able to sync the full playlist to my windows phone.

May be other ways, but this was the only method that worked for me.

Joseph Stephen

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
You can import your zune playlists into Xbox music (without signing up for a Music pass). You can then use the share function from the charm bar to export your playlists and music to your windows phone. I bought an unlocked Nokia 920 off Amazon for $99,then put in a 64 Gig sd card to see if I can use it as an mp3 player (I do not intend to install a SIM card in the phone). So far so good. I am in the process of exporting all of my zune playlists to the phone. If this works and Microsoft comes through with a high end phone with SD card slot I might then transition from iphone to microsoft phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05