Is the Windows 8 experience the same on all devices ?

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
For example, with Android if you own a samsung galaxy S2 on Android 2.3 and compare it to a samsung galaxy s4 on android 4.1, the user experience is virtually identical, more or less same software features, same apps, not really anything to make it feel like a proper upgrade as downloading apps will compensate for the gap in the feature difference.

It's like this with pretty much all droids, what you can do with the software with the flagships you can do with the budget phones (with a few exceptions such as LG and HTC)

Meaning that there is no benefit for choosing flagships when you could get pretty much the same thing for a quarter of the price.

So my question is: if you hardly use a camera or 3/4G and have never had problems with battery life and never game, then is it worth getting a lumia 920/1020 over the 520 ? Isn't the "Windows experience" pretty much to same, making flagships obsolete ? Do you notice any lag on the 520 compared to the 1020 or any responsiveness difference between the two devices ? You probably notice no difference in the user experience.

please note: I'm NOT trying to start a troll war or bash any device or the widows operating system, nor am I saying that wp8 or Android is bad in any way, that is not my intention for this thread so please do not take offence or get aggressive or start ranting and raving about my post...take it easy, we all support innovation in smartphones.

Last edited:

EchoRedux

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Not much separates the 520 from the 1020 as far as the windows phone 8 experience. Screen quality and camera quality aside (the 520 is missing a front facing camera) the only differences you will see is with certain apps. Nokia high end phones include Here Drive + while the 520 only gives you the standard Here Drive. Also some apps require 1gb of Ram and will not run on a 520.

coolraoul

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
The software is pretty much the same (except glance, worldwide GPS and a few apps reserved for flagship). A 520 will not feel sluggish next to a 1020, just a tad less snappy.
However the screen will be miles better, this changes the experience. The phone will feel much better thanks to superior materials, feel of the buttons and responsiveness of screen are way superior.
So while low-range Lumias are excellent phones and never feel cheap or lacking, flagships stay in a whole different league imo.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
One thing I noticed comparing the 520 to the 925 is the glass they used for the display which makes one feel more smooth and "responsive" than the other.

Pick up a 510 or 610 and you will feel the difference to the new wp8 devices. The old ones feel MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better...WHY NOKIA!!! WHY WHY WHY!!! did you start using a rubbish glass ? Also the old ones feel much better in general.

Ok I know you probably now use corning gorilla glass and I will put a screen protector on it but still...

Olivia_Jackson

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I guess it is pretty much the same! I have just seen people using it. It is good that we now have many cross-platform applications. Recently we saw BBM roll-out for Android and iPhone operating system, and over 10 M downloads in just a day, but there is no such news for Windows phones. Using windows phones is a nice experience overall :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Flagships are flagships for a reason. They have the top specs and the best 'experience'. However, WP8 is designed with the sole purpose of providing a consistent experience across all OEMs and phones. So in general you'll get a similar experience on any phone. The difference is only down to what the phone has. You get the one the suits you. Keep in mind that any 512MB device may not be able to use all apps/games and some maybe never. That's to be expected as the specs differ.

That's basically the gist of it. You want top specs get a flagship. You want a WP8 experience on a budget, get a 520. Need something in the middle, get 620, 720, 820.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
One thing I noticed comparing the 520 to the 925 is the glass they used for the display which makes one feel more smooth and "responsive" than the other.

Pick up a 510 or 610 and you will feel the difference to the new wp8 devices. The old ones feel MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better...WHY NOKIA!!! WHY WHY WHY!!! did you start using a rubbish glass ? Also the old ones feel much better in general.

Ok I know you probably now use corning gorilla glass and I will put a screen protector on it but still...

I find it odd that the display feels worse on the new WP8 devices than on the old. The super sensitve touch screens feel quite good to me.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I find it odd that the display feels worse on the new WP8 devices than on the old. The super sensitve touch screens feel quite good to me.

Slide your finger across it and feel how easy your finger slides and how comfortable it is...this is what I was referring too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2