Other storage issue is clearly NOT fixed.

CaptainAnywho

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
6 months after I got my lumia 920 in december I was forced to reset it due to an obscene amount of "other storage" that prevented me from doing anything on my phone. Now, nearly 6 months past that I am forced to do it again. This is incredibly disheartening, and I would have thought that by now this issue would have been addressed. I am running Update 3 and Amber and in about a week and a half my available storage went from ~6.5GB to 0.
wp_ss_20131028_0002.png

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Just because your "other" is 20GB, doesn't mean the OS has a problem.

Microsoft need to find a way of illustrating what that 20GB is, so people understand.

Maybe its one or more rogue apps, that are requesting too much storage, and giving us a graph of the "Other" usage could help users pinpoint naughty apps.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft did find a new way to illustrate it in Update 3. Storage check is the old Nokia utility. See how it looks under phone storage to see what is really eating all of that space. If it's temp, maybe the clear that MS has added will work better than the one is storage check.

BrunoShady

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I agree...

They stated that the issue was fixed by controlling better this space, in other words, if space is needed, the other storage is cleaned, what doesnt happen on GDR3.

I've tested with my L820 and 2 days with 512kb space avaiable, didnt shrink my other storage (1,8GB)

CaptainAnywho

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft did find a new way to illustrate it in Update 3. Storage check is the old Nokia utility. See how it looks under phone storage to see what is really eating all of that space. If it's temp, maybe the clear that MS has added will work better than the one is storage check.

The built in storage check utility only reports ~1.8GB of temp storage, which is why I used Nokia's to find the real usage.

CaptainAnywho

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Just because your "other" is 20GB, doesn't mean the OS has a problem.

Microsoft need to find a way of illustrating what that 20GB is, so people understand.

Maybe its one or more rogue apps, that are requesting too much storage, and giving us a graph of the "Other" usage could help users pinpoint naughty apps.

I didn't imply that the OS had a problem, my point was that having to reset your device to fix this issue is not an acceptable solution.

aafa

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
ya, unfortunately, I had to do a full reset to get my phone working properly for GDR2. quite the inconvenience. but my other storage is now 'contained'

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
no Ms just did that so you would think your "other storage" issues was fixed....guess what it not! I'm still on 10 GB of other storage! There's no way to REALLY see what eating up storage! Believe me if could free up most of my other storage I would or at least see what's causing it I would fix it or remove it or what ever. So no Ms never stated that the Nokia storage check obsolete just tried to keep you away from it because its still there! There's still a bug!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm really curious about one thing. What are people doing to get such a large amount of Other storage. I use my phone as I normally do and my storage never climbs to those levels.

So my question here is, are you playing games? Downloading torrents? Just using it normally? Transferring files via bluetooth on a regular basis? What are you doing? Reason why I ask this cause I'd like to avoid whatever it is you're doing.

BrunoShady

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm really curious about one thing. What are people doing to get such a large amount of Other storage. I use my phone as I normally do and my storage never climbs to those levels.

So my question here is, are you playing games? Downloading torrents? Just using it normally? Transferring files via bluetooth on a regular basis? What are you doing? Reason why I ask this cause I'd like to avoid whatever it is you're doing.

Do you use skydrive for photo/video backup?

Maybe this is the problem, since photos are large files and 1 video with 5 minutes is about 300-400mb, and 3 or 4 videos are about 1gb..

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Do you use skydrive for photo/video backup?

Maybe this is the problem, since photos are large files and 1 video with 5 minutes is about 300-400mb, and 3 or 4 videos are about 1gb..

I don't have an issue with Other storage....

I was asking what people do to get such large Other storage so I can avoid it.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

I wish I knew ! I stream Pandora,surf the web,I on my have 6 GB of games,2.5 os and those are my major ones but it say 17.80 GB used and only 11.26 free ! Weres the other 10gb or so? I see them in the other storage location! But really have no clue as to what causing it

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I wish I knew ! I stream Pandora,surf the web,I on my have 6 GB of games,2.5 os and those are my major ones but it say 17.80 GB used and only 11.26 free ! Weres the other 10gb or so? I see them in the other storage location! But really have no clue as to what causing it

Hmmm, interesting. The only thing I don't do is use Pandora. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I also delete my history in IE all the time.

Very weird. I can't see where the Other storage is coming from. Did you do anything different in the past? Or is this it from the beginning?

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Do you take a lot of photos, because Auto-upload to skydrive can be the culprit. Also, update to GDR3. MS gives a tool to reduce the other storage.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Do you take a lot of photos, because Auto-upload to skydrive can be the culprit. Also, update to GDR3. MS gives a tool to reduce the other storage.
im on dev gdr3 and that's a the " tool" is a misunderstanding! On the " phone storage" location there's a way to delete some temporary files but on lumias we also have storage check which clearly shows at the bottom other storage and no way to clear that area.no no there is NO tool to clear out my other storage! I haven't been trying to stress this for no reason

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
And what pisses me of more is that this is my phone! If I want to clear out any type of data I want I should be able to. And not by losing all my stuff and doing a hard reset I just want another clear button! One for the actual other storage! If Ms comes up with this. Many will be very happy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb