OK, I'm finally going to make the jump to a WP8 from WP7.8 and want to change from my Hotmail account to an Outlook.com. I've already snagged an alias with my same name and from what I read on MS pages I simply need to make that my primary alias. But is that right, I remember a lot of discussion and instructions back when Outlook.com was introduced about how to do it. And it wasn't that easy. So my question is if I just swap my alias' and may my Outlook.com one my primary will I just set up my new WP8 phone with that as my account and all my apps, settings, and connections be in place? I sure don't want to loose stuff.

Thanks for any advice,
    Soon to be Ex-LG Quantum user (:
    11-01-2013 07:11 PM
    You can use your Hotmail address ie. This_is_afake_name@hotmail.com on Outlook.com no need to change anything.

I'm using Outlook with an msn.com account and when asked when I'm restoring apps,settings etc when I update my phone
    I use my msn.com account. I don't have a This_is_afake_name@Outlook.com account.
    I have a This_is_afake_name@msn.com account

I not sure if that had anything to do with your question tho'
    RSB54 likes this.
    11-01-2013 07:50 PM
    I'd actually like to get rid of my hotmail completely, and definitely not have to remember that my email is fake@outlook.com but my account is fake@hotmail.com.
    11-01-2013 09:29 PM
    I'd actually like to get rid of my hotmail completely, and definitely not have to remember that my email is fake@outlook.com but my account is fake@hotmail.com.
    You don't need to get rid of your old account. As far as the back-end stuff goes, Hotmail accounts were automatically converted over earlier this year.

You can change your ID under your Microsoft Account settings to something new (that uses @outlook.com).

This way you don't lose your purchasing history (and have to repurchase apps), don't need to move archive and move mail and files, etc...

Pretty easy.
    Last edited by Jerry A; 11-02-2013 at 04:28 PM.
    RSB54 likes this.
    11-02-2013 11:54 AM
    that sounds really easy, compared to previous instructions. Maybe MS has improved it.
    So, my current WP7 account is 123@hotmail.com and I have 123@outlook.com as an alias. If I make 123@outlook.com my "primary alias" then set up a new WP8 phone with that outlook.com it will work? And will keep all my apps, skydrive, contacts, etc? Not sure why I'm so nervous, guess worsr case I just re-setup my WP8 phone with my old hotmail .
    11-24-2013 10:23 AM
    This is a tricky situation and I would do more research on these blogs before doing anything. This account confusion is really bad on their part.

I think you have an advantage because you're setting up a new phone. If it doesn't work, reset it up with the old account. Good luck and please repost your outcome and process.
    11-24-2013 10:53 AM