Will we ever get a high spec WP8 phone with a 4 inch screen?

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
If WP8 continues to grow and solidify its position, then yes we will eventually get one. But it will probably be a long time coming. I don't see the large screen craze dying for at least two years or maybe longer. If Apple moved to a larger screen perhaps that would perversely open up the market for a high-end small-scale phone. All things go in cycles, and I suspect we'll start to hear more people clamoring for smaller flagship/hero phones. Besides the market considerations, there are also technical considerations. It is just tougher to cram cutting edge hardware, cameras, performance and battery life in smaller devices- but some company will decide there is white space to fill and they'll try it. The recent Samsung and HTC mini versions are not serious attempts at this- these guys are trying to capitalize on lower price points while paying lip service to smaller screens.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
The only Windows Phones with 4 inch screen or less are the HTC 8S and the Lumia 620 (I think). I'm not a fan of screen any bigger than 4 inches. I love my 620 but I really want a high spec phone. Do you think there's any chance a phone of such sort will ever be available? Phone screens just keep getting bigger and bigger. I don't think it will ever happen. The only high end phone I can think of with a 4 inch screen is the iPhone. I'm hoping that Nokia will release something with a smaller screen with WP8.1, but it probably will be aimed at the low end of the market :(

I'm the same, I really dislike big screens as they are so uncomfortable and difficult to operate with one hand. Even the HTC one mini, Sony Z1 mini and Samsung galaxy s4 mini are bigger than 4" (4.3" )

Why cant we just have a 4" device with LTE, big battery and good price tag.

Please vote for high end small screen devices (you dont need any account or have to full out any forms/details you just open the link and click vote) here's the link:
http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...gh-end-small-phone-some-people-have-small-han

Last edited:

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
It's hard to say. If your phone is too big, try holding it further away from your face. If your arms are not long enough to achieve a satisfactory size, ask a friend to help.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I would like to see this in Microsoft's Surface line. A business user is likely to already have a laptop or tablet device for work/production (which can also provide the larger screen needed for more immersive content consumption). For these people, a phone is definitely a companion device; use it to make calls, triage emails, social networking and maybe take photos. Compact and lightweight are more important than screen real estate; it shouldn't deform your suit anywhere, and should fit easily in a shirt pocket if you want to hang your jacket while flying. Sleek, industrial design of Surface would be a good fit.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't see anyone making a 4" screen with 1080P resolution and a relatively large battery. In my opinion the best bet for someone wanting a high end phone with a 4" screen is the iPhone.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't see anyone making a 4" screen with 1080P resolution and a relatively large battery. In my opinion the best bet for someone wanting a high end phone with a 4" screen is the iPhone.

It doesn't have to have a 1080P screen if it's 4". A 720P screen in that size will look virtually the same as a 1080P screen.

Anyway, count me in as another person who wants a 4" high end phone.

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Why cant we just have a 4" device with LTE, big battery and good price tag.

Oh, that is a good point. I wish that the 620 had a better battery. It?s OK for one day without intensive use, but I rebember the days in which I used in a similar way my Omnia 2 without charging for 3 o 4 days.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
would love to buy some hi spec phone with 4inch screen size. the size is just about right for me.

count me in too, L720 seems a tad big, I felt L800 was perfect for me, Wish they bought 720 with high end specs(1 gb ram, pureview cam, 16gb mem, 720P screem), a 729 may be. I wouldnt mind paying a higher price for same sleek body and best battery backup

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't have to have a 1080P screen if it's 4". A 720P screen in that size will look virtually the same as a 1080P screen.

Anyway, count me in as another person who wants a 4" high end phone.

I agree. The iPhone isn't even 720P but the display is still nice. It also has good battery life.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I feel like the immediate problem most manufacturers face is putting a big battery in such a small device. When you load a high end CPU, it needs more power, but in a 4 inch device, if you want it to be skinny...you sacrifice battery. Look at the iphone 5/5s battery. It's only 1450mah. But their cpu is optimized for the hardware. Another example is the surface pro. You want the smallest and lightest full laptop powered tablet? Well deal with a 4 hour battery when other ultrabooks can achieve 6-7 hours. There may be other reasons such as people wanting big phones, etc... But this is definitely one of many considerations.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've used 3.8", 4", 4.3", and now 4.5", in the Arrive and Trophy, Focus, Lumia 822, and Lumia 928. I think I would have to say that for screen size, I most enjoyed the 4.3" of the Lumia 822. The Focus was good, and I have no complaints, but the 822 was perfect for my hand, not too big to use one-handed for most things. The 928, while gorgeous, is too big to use comfortably with one hand, at least for me. I would be pleased as can be if they brought an upgraded 1020 to Verizon into a 4.3" package. But no, I don't expect that at all. At this point, I'll keep the 928, and hope that when the 1020 variant comes to Verizon it doesn't become a six inch phone.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Was anyone else disappointed when they heard that the lumia 625 had a 4.7" display. THIS MEANS WAR!!!...IT IS TIME TO BOMB NOKIA WITH EMAILS!!!

(i assumed the screen size was 3.8" or 4') when I saw...2000 mAh battery, LTE and good price.. I was like YYYYYYYESSSSSSS... Then I saw the screen size and my dream of seeing a high end phone thats easley operational with one hand faded away.

if you want to help make small screen, high end device become a reality then vote bellow.

YOU CAN VOTE FOR A SMALL SCREEN, HIGH END DEVICE HERE:
http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...gh-end-small-phone-some-people-have-small-han

vote for it now.

...then post a similar thread like this on Android central and get Android users to vote (just tell them that if it gets enough votes an Microsoft does it and its successful it will start a trend that will quickly reach Android)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, if you are not going to consuming media or playing games on sub 4.5" display then it really doesn't warrant a high end screen or high end specs. That is the general consensus these days hence why screens are getting larger and larger as more people start streaming, playing games on the go. Furthermore to add to that conundrum is there anyway of fitting in a on screen keyboard that doesn't take half the screen?

Sure you could minimise the surface area of keys but that would make it quite impossible to type with one hand, or you can tack on a physical keyboard and lose the screen real estate indefinitely or have a slightly bulkier device, especially if you want a large battery. A 4" device that is slim + specs as the oppo find 5 would be killer, heck any device as slim as the find 5 and Lumia design would be awesome sauce.

Me personally I was also skeptical of at first but as my samsung b7610 started to die me, I had no choice but to upgrade and I sure as hell wasn't getting an iphone or android so the L920 was my only option. It did take some time getting used my L920 especially with one hand however a few weeks down the line, I was used to it. So you never know, you might be able to adjust and adapt.

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
GSMArena also had a petition for a smaller footprint phone with high-end specs. They had about 15k votes, but then it died off and no one cared any more (even the guys at GSMA).

TheSuperShoe

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not even interesting in high specs. Just give me a 620 size with Qi and a flash camera. I bought all these chargers for my 920 and I'm not getting a phone without Qi. I want a keyboard too, but I'm giving up on that idea.

osoalex

May 24, 2013
Visit site
omg, Someone that finally thinks like me.

Actually I'd really love something as well crafted as compact as the Lumia 800 with Lumia 920-like specs.

But, as Samsung is the main competition for Nokia, I don't think there's something like this to happen. We all knew that the latest Nokia devices are responses to Note 3 and Note family itself.

I'd love a compact flagship too.

Last edited:

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, if you are not going to consuming media or playing games on sub 4.5" display then it really doesn't warrant a high end screen or high end specs. That is the general consensus these days hence why screens are getting larger and larger as more people start streaming, playing games on the go. Furthermore to add to that conundrum is there anyway of fitting in a on screen keyboard that doesn't take half the screen?

Sure you could minimise the surface area of keys but that would make it quite impossible to type with one hand, or you can tack on a physical keyboard and lose the screen real estate indefinitely or have a slightly bulkier device, especially if you want a large battery. A 4" device that is slim + specs as the oppo find 5 would be killer, heck any device as slim as the find 5 and Lumia design would be awesome sauce.

Me personally I was also skeptical of at first but as my samsung b7610 started to die me, I had no choice but to upgrade and I sure as hell wasn't getting an iphone or android so the L920 was my only option. It did take some time getting used my L920 especially with one hand however a few weeks down the line, I was used to it. So you never know, you might be able to adjust and adapt.

Not "high end" in that regard...high end as in LTE, 2000 mAh battery, 13 MP camera and 1 gig of RAM (not for gaming, just so that you can multi task better and support more apps in the future)

Currently my device has a 4.5" screen and I often have to change the position of my hand to reach into the top left corner as I use it...it is my 4.5" that made me realize that I want a small screen.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'd like some smaller sized options to choose from when I'm done with this 8X. That said, manufacturers are starting to put larger screens on devices without increasing the dimensions by much. A device like the Moto X would be awesome, 4.7" screen yet smaller than my 8X. One problem is the height of these devices – it's hard to hit the power button on the top of my phone, and only when comparing to the 520 do you see an appreciable decrease.

PhoneScreen
(inch)
Height
(mm)
Width
(mm)
Thickness
(mm)
Weight
(g)
WP 8X4.3132.466.210.1130
Lumia 5204.0119.964.09.9124
Lumia 9295.0136.571.410.5166
Nexus 44.7133.968.79.1139
Nexus 55.0137.969.28.6130
Moto X4.7129.365.310.4130

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'd like some smaller sized options to choose from when I'm done with this 8X. That said, manufacturers are starting to put larger screens on devices without increasing the dimensions by much. A device like the Moto X would be awesome, 4.7" screen yet smaller than my 8X. One problem is the height of these devices – it's hard to hit the power button on the top of my phone, and only when comparing to the 520 do you see an appreciable decrease.

PhoneScreen
(inch)
Height
(mm)
Width
(mm)
Thickness
(mm)
Weight
(g)
WP 8X4.3132.466.210.1130
Lumia 5204.0119.964.09.9124
Lumia 9295.0136.571.410.5166
Nexus 44.7133.968.79.1139
Nexus 55.0137.969.28.6130
Moto X4.7129.365.310.4130

If you think the 520 is great...you should go and hold a 620, the shape of the back makes it fit much easier into your hand than the 520. Also it has a smaller screen at 3.8"....I have never held such a comfortable phone since 2009. ( a Sony Ericsson slide phone {f305})

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster