MS/Nokia need to clear out the air about WP8 being upgradeable to WP8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft upgrade blunder gives people one more reason not to buy a Windows Phone | Computerworld Blogs
Windows Phone 8.0 smartphones may not be upgradeable to 8.1 - Computerworld

My personal belief is that MS cant let it happen this time because it would be a deathblow to WP but then inconsistent/unclear answers from MS or Nokia would allow ppl to publish such stuff and affect WP sales, if what they've written is true that MS/Nokia are hesitating to give a clear answer I would be worried because I have suffered once buying a NL800.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft upgrade blunder gives people one more reason not to buy a Windows Phone | Computerworld Blogs

My personal belief is that MS cant let it happen this time because it would be a deathblow to WP but then inconsistent/unclear answers from MS or Nokia would allow ppl to publish such stuff and affect WP sales, if what they've written is true that MS/Nokia are hesitating to give a clear answer I would be worried because I have suffered once buying a NL800.

We have discussed this topic to death on this forum. Along with those articles.

Let's be clear. Though I agree with you 100% about the idea of clarity, the truth of the matter is as far as we know, all WP will be upgradeable to WP8.1. The only issue that could come out of this is with carriers only which MS has very little control over.

MS would be suicidal if it didn't upgrade WP8 phones to WP8.1. WP would die immediately in my opinion. There is no technical reason why WP8 cannot be upgraded. We might not get 100% perfect implementation of the features due to hardware limitations but that's to be expected. As for WP9 I don't really care. I will be changing phones by then.

constantinosmi

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I find it hard to believe that current phones will not be upgraded. Besides Microsoft said they are, and the article says that they asked Nokia too and got the same reply.
Time will tell though but it will be stupid on behalf of Microsoft to not upgrade current phones. They will not handle another 7.8/8 situation.

Nitin Jamwal

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

I think this retweet that I got from @joebelfiore who is leading windows phone 8 team will help you get your answer https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/status/396752463451013120

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I find it hard to believe that current phones will not be upgraded. Besides Microsoft said they are, and the article says that they asked Nokia too and got the same reply.
Time will tell though but it will be stupid on behalf of Microsoft to not upgrade current phones. They will not handle another 7.8/8 situation.

I have no doubt that all WP8 phones would be upgraded to WP8.1, MS simply wouldn't be able to handle the bad press and it would be death of WP8, my point is why let somebody even publish such stuff where as clear cut answer would shut off the critics. MS has evaded similar kind of questions last year at the time of WP7.5 so it only raises the doubts all over again and hurt the sales as well as the ecosystem.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
he is still being dodgy though...."updates we are working on" could be GDR3 and GDR4.

Microsoft will pull this: They will update our phones to something like GDR4. Then 8.1 will come out and they will say "well the 18 month windows for support we promised you has past"

At that point I will do the thing I never said I'd do and get an iOS device.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
he is still being dodgy though...."updates we are working on" could be GDR3 and GDR4.

Microsoft will pull this: They will update our phones to something like GDR4. Then 8.1 will come out and they will say "well the 18 month windows for support we promised you has past"

There has been no indication of this anywhere and it's purely rumour mongering. If you have some substantial evidence to support your claims this is just BS.

So far MS has done what it said it would do. It's delivered three updates this year, regardless how you feel about them. Nokia is the slow one and then we have the carrier issue. So you can't blame MS.

At this stage I see WP8.1 coming in the first quarter still, at what point who knows but I can go by the concept they probably had two teams doing things. One doing the GDRs and another concentrating on WP8.1. That would be logical.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

Do you really think ms would piston the well in that fashion?

The 8-8.1 shouldn't require new hardware to run, with so few changes, should it ?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Can we just stop all of the FUD going on here?? There is absolutely zero chance that any currently in-use Windows Phone 8 devices won't get the 8.1 update. Zip. Zilch. Nada. They will ALL get it.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, My point exactly that MS be more clear and not let such blogs spread rumors and hurt the ecosystem.

Arm-chair dictator,

Exactly how much control do you think MSFT has over people? I'll tell ya. NONE!

You've been here long enough to know you can only believe a fraction of the content that gets posted here. When your competitors admit they hire PR firms to spread negative information on message boards, etc regardless whether its correct or not you have to take everything with a grain salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett