Why are devices launching so expensive and late?

iBandar

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
wtf is going on seriously.
We finally get 1080p display and quad-core processors but turns out Lumia 929 is not launching until early next year and Lumia 1520 launching in Dec that too on one freaking carrier in US, most likely next year here in Canada.

My friend wants to get Nexus 5, how the F**k am I suppose to convince him to get 929 or 1520 when not only they are expensive but not even releasing for next 3-4 months here in Canada.

Who is making these decisions are beyond me.

So technically; considering 1020 has the same spec as 920, that means here in Canada; true next successor of 920 (which was released in 2012) which is most likely 929 which will be released in Verizon 2014 Q1 so I guess 2014 Q2 here in Canada?

no major WP for 1.5-2 years here in Canada. SERIOUSLY WTFFFFFF?

I have personally converted 10-12 people to switch to Windows Phone, but then things like this pisses me off so much. Looks like Microsoft itself is not serious about hitting the market hard.

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I totally feel your frustration. Honestly, the WP picture here in Canada is pretty abysmal. Not that it's that much better in the US in my opinion. If the 929 is really not launching until next year, then the only high-end phone they have this holiday season is the 1520. As great as the 1520 is, phablets are a niche product and don't compete directly with the flagships from Apple and Google, and many people will walk away with a shiny new 5s or Nexus 5 this year. It's as if Nokia/MS are too scared to compete for a piece of the holiday pie.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Well here in the UK we don't have any CDMA based phones full stop, so the 929 will never reach here. The 1520 will arrive here at some point, probably earlier than Canada but the same goes for us really, a few people are looking for a newer 920 type of phone but there isn't one. Out of interest what are the current phones that are available in Canada at the moment then. Do you still have 920's, 925's, 1020's easily available?

iBandar

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Well here in the UK we don't have any CDMA based phones full stop, so the 929 will never reach here. The 1520 will arrive here at some point, probably earlier than Canada but the same goes for us really, a few people are looking for a newer 920 type of phone but there isn't one. Out of interest what are the current phones that are available in Canada at the moment then. Do you still have 920's, 925's, 1020's easily available?

Yeah, 920, 925 and 1020 are easy to find. But they are pretty much same internally, so if MS announces WP8.1 won't be supported; none of those phone will get it. That's what my friends are worried about. Lumia 1520 and 929 should definitely be upgradable considering they pack the latest processor.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm confident all of those will get the Windows Phone 8.1 update, I wouldn't worry too much about that. I think it's been said before (not sure whether verified though) that all current phones will get the 8.1 update. You may find they restrict certain features to higher spec'd devices but the 9xx series and 10xx series will get the full works I should think. I can sort of see the lower phones getting 8.1 but lacking some of the features, but it would fatally wound Microsoft if they didn't update most of the current phones to 8.1.

I hope the next rumoured phone is an update to the current 920 or 925.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, 920, 925 and 1020 are easy to find. But they are pretty much same internally, so if MS announces WP8.1 won't be supported; none of those phone will get it. That's what my friends are worried about. Lumia 1520 and 929 should definitely be upgradable considering they pack the latest processor.

Not this again.

Put it this way. IF WP8.1 is not supported by the earlier phones, WP WILL die immediately. This is a fact. MS would lose consumer confidence completely and people would abandon it and it would fail faster the BB. If they are that dumb to do something like that then WP deserves to fail and I personally would never touch WP again and I'm pretty sure most other users feel the same.

Though I agree with some of the sentiments that MS hasn't exactly stated it in direct terms there has been enough evidence to support the fact that all WP8 devices will get WP8.1. This is baring any hold backs from carriers, which I don't see happening but you never know.

WP8.1 will come to all WP8 devices. It's possible that not all features will be available to all devices due to hardware limitation but that's to be expected.

As for WP9, as this usually comes up. I personally don't expect it as I'll have a two year old phone by then so I'll be ready for an upgrade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon