Screen resolution (apparently) dropped after GDR3 Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kappa011

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi, everybody, this is my first post here...

Has anyone noticed screen resolution (apparently) dropped after GDR3 Update?

I've got HTC 8x, and when visiting What is my screen resolution it used to show 1280x720 as my screen res.

But, after GDR3 Update, the same website reports my screen resolution as 338 x 601px! Ridiculous figures (but, hey, a least the aspect is about right - 16:9)! At first, I thought the site went wacko but, after I found several other sites with the same purpose (and outcome), it turned out that this is a real deal, unfortunately. As a result, some of my web applications cannot resize properly to fit WP8 users' screens, because JavaScript auto-detect functions can't determine the right numbers (Ah, yes, I am a .NET developer).

I have checked every single thing that crossed my mind - like "easy access" and such - for features that might have gotten turned on (or off) by accident and have anything to do with screen resolution, but no luck! IE settings "mobile or desktop version" has nothing to do with it, either. GDR3 Update is my number one suspect now, messing with HD resolution support and stuff...

So, if there's anybody willing to visit any similar check-my-screen-res location and report the results here?

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rem97

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Screen resolution (apparently) dropped after GD3 Update?

Yeah I'm getting the same 338x601 on my 8X :O. Do you have any idea as to what's going on, have I lost pixels all of a sudden lol.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

On my 810 it says 356 x 593 but it's "400 x 800"
considering that your is 1280 x720 and mine is "bigger" (thicker) than yours is :wink:
211108 vs 203128 pixels
I think it's irrelevant and wack at best.

I'm a photographer and I've seen no difference in screen resolution since I installed GDR3
-I would notice.

kappa011

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for a quick response, guys...

Well, it might be some kind of a quirk and, for the most part, it's irrelevant when it comes to everyday use. Then again, I'm 100% sure that a couple of weeks ago I was getting a steady 1280x720 as it's supposed to be and - more important - my web apps worked flawlessly. I have already made JS code adjustments, so it's not a big deal anymore, but it's annoying nevertheless.

Anyone without GDR3/GDR2 Update to confirm?

@Rem97 - Bring my pixels back, goddammit! :grin:

Last edited:

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

I have a HTC 8x GDR2 and show 720x1280 in Hardware Tests app
>>>> Hardware Tests | System info | Device

At the 'What is my screen resolution' website, it reads the same....720x1280
...so my HTC is showing the correct resolution. Maybe recheck the website... glitches happen on the web

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

I have a HTC 8x GDR2 and show 720x1280 in Hardware Tests app
>>>> Hardware Tests | System info | Device

At the 'What is my screen resolution' website, it reads the same....720x1280

...so my HTC is showing the correct resolution. Maybe recheck the website... glitches happen on the web
It's interesting that yours reads correctly at the website, post a screen shot will ya ?
Thanks

tungha

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

why so worried about it? I think it's just the bug from the IE of GDR3, that caused the js to recognize wrong screen resolution, it should be fix on the latest update 3

rcazador

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

Don't you get to see the resolution in the about phone under settings?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

Here's the screen shot...
Note the properties of the screen shot also indicate that my camera took the screen image at 720x1280

Attachments

• wp_ss_20131105_0001.png
    wp_ss_20131105_0001.png
    139 KB · Views: 6
  • PicProperties.png
    PicProperties.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 355

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

Here's the screen shot...
Note the properties of the screen shot also indicate that my camera took the screen image at 720x1280

Interesting no one (so far) has been able to duplicate that
-must be post GDR3 and not GDR2

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

That tester is pretty faulty, only shows two updates on my phone, one when I first got my phone (OTA T Mobile) and GDR3, but completely missed Amber/GRD2 which was bigger than GDR3 by a long shot. I also think it just takes some of the information that's written into the phone -like screen resolution - under System Information -it's doesn't test for that as far as I can see.
I say bogus -faulty at best.

Last edited:

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

>PB_H
"-must be post GDR3 and not GDR2 "

Just so there's no confusion/misunderstanding here....my phone is at GDR2 not GDR3....I'm on Verizon and haven't received the GDR3 update, nor have I d/l the Developer Preview version. I'm not having any issue w/my resolution and only posted to show that the website was reading my screen correctly and in good working order when I checked my phone resolution there.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

yeah nokia lumia 920 also, 3xx X 6xx, that's why the websites are not working properly and I have to zoom most of them in to get it right. did anyone try a different browser?

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

I'm not having any problems with resolution it's just that link doesn't see my phone correctly
therefore it doesn't bother me, my 810's still full resolution, photo info and most importantly my eyes say so.
recent picture info from Olympus Viewer 3 photo editing software
Screen Resolution.JPG

Last edited:

iAdrian23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

hTC 8X

wp_ss_20131106_0001.png

wp_ss_20131106_0002%20(1).png

Why is there a white line at the bottom of the app? ^ (Open it in a new page and watch :()

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

The resolution of my phone also dropped o_O (HTC 8X - GDR3)

It didn't drop, take a picture transfer it to your pc or mac and open Properties/details for that file,
it will be whatever it was before. - if it were actually 338 x 601 it would stick out like a sore thumb as the saying goes.

This is a "the sky is falling" thread/scare nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb