Using Windows PC to Dial and make Phone Calls using Lumia 1020

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
After some searching my answer would be no. I was trying to understand why this would be wanted but then realised that it would be handy if you didn't have wifi or a data connection. Saying that, I wouldn't be surprised if Skype comes out with this feature or the Windows Phone app.

I was able to do something like this when I owned a Symbian phone. I know for certain I was able to do texts but can't remember if I could do phone calls.

Keep in mind WP8 is still a young platform so there's room for growth. Considering it took to 2013 to get it on iPhone should tell you something.

Fredrik Bjoerklund

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Hehe yeah i sorta agree, but the funny thing is it existed for Windows back in the day. More important is you could just connect via bluetooth and dont really need an app. I know the one for OSX doesnt use an app on the phone. So basically whats needed is a piece of software on your pc that could act like a hands-free device or something. Same as in your car maybe. My colleage uses the one for OSX and im just perplexed that i cant use anything like it for a windows computer.

It would be really usefull for me when i call clients etc that i can just copy paste the number from their signature to a program on comp and use my pc headset which i already have on to make the call.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Maybe we just need a "remote phone application", basically the opposite of a remote desktop app :)
Pair your phone to your PC and open your phone on your desktop as if it was another app or program, or on Windows 8 have it appear as a "group" on the start screen. Copy/paste or drag a phone number into the Phone app and it would dial out. Could also work for games, music, video or other content that lives on your phone. Instead of duplicating the content on the computer through syncing and then using a computer based program to open it, you just access it through the remote phone portal- it actually plays on the phone but is displayed on the computer.

Fredrik Bjoerklund

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey Chris,

Yeah exactly something like that. If you basically could text and make calls from the computer and have the option of either using sound+mic on pc or on phone as an option.

It would mean you could do your job with the phone in your pocket or in the charger somewhere near your pc whilst making calls etc and using just 1 interface aka. the pc you use for work and it also eliminates the need for a landline.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon