SkyDrive and phone storage

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm not getting this phone storage-SkyDrive combination idea. Many of you have been helping me in other threads to understand this OS before plunging in and I've tried to be judicious about when I start a new thread. I felt this was a separate enough issue for its own thread.
The Lumia I want has 16GB of storage and I keep hearing about how integrated SkyDrive's 7GB are. So, what I don't get...
1. Can I or can I not save Office docs to my internal storage?
2. Can I or can I not save photos I take and that people send me to my internal storage?
3. Do apps save to my internal storage or to SkyDrive?
4. Can't I just save things to the phone itself and choose NOT to sync them to SkyDrive? If you can't then I'm failing to understand the point of including internal storage at all?

If anyone can help, that would be great. I've even downloaded the Lumia 925 PDF manual from their site and this still isn't clear. Thanks!

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
1. You can, if you open the file and press Save as...
2. Photos that you take will be saved on your phone, I think that's the case with photos people send to you too.
3. Internal storage if they don't ask you to sign in to SkyDrive for something specific.
4. For example what things do you mean?

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
1. YES you can

2. Yes you can

3. internal memory only

4. you can save everything on ur phone..if you wish you can upload pics,doccuments & videos on skydrive and then delete them on phone to save some memory. Later on you can,access those files on your computer

The main point of having skydrive is to upload things you wanna share or access on computer by upload files on a cloud based sstorage. I personally dont use it much so i have have Skydrive uninstalled on my cell. I have a 32gb storage to save all my pics and videos.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
2. Photos people send you can be saved on the phone - you have to save them (from text or email, for example), and they'll end up in the Saved Pictures folder of the Photo Hub.
4. I can't think of any apps that I have that force me to save on SkyDrive. But since you can't think of a reason for storage in the phone, it's where apps are installed. Install a bunch of graphics-intensive games with lots of graphical assets (Think Spiderman or some of the other large Xbox Live games), and you'll find out real quick what internal storage is for. :wink: Additionally, music can be stored there, photos, etc. Basically anything that the phone can use while in Airplane Mode is taking up internal storage space.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Having your stuff on SkyDrive will save space on your phone and will allow you to see it on all your Windows 8.1 devices, if you have more than one. Actually, the SkyDrive app is also available for Android and iOS. So you have access on those devices too.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
But since you can't think of a reason for storage in the phone, it's where apps are installed.
Well, I was being slightly sarcastic. What I meant was simply that if everything DID really go to SkyDrive then what exactly is the phone for. Lame humour, I admit.
The reason I'm asking is because typically, 99% of the time, I avoid cloud storage altogether. I simply can't be hoping I'll have enough signal at any moment to retrieve a doc or photo. I just want a basic version of Word I can ALWAYS use signal or not to write and check my documents. In addition to that, I'd like the documents that I DO keep on SkyDrive to sync to my phone storage so that I can work on it on the subway and have it update the SkyDrive version next time I have signal. Is that doable?

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Having your stuff on SkyDrive will save space on your phone and will allow you to see it on all your Windows 8.1 devices, if you have more than one. Actually, the SkyDrive app is also available for Android and iOS. So you have access on those devices too.

+1

I don't auto-sync anything, but I manually upload items I know I want to keep. This saves battery, data & storage, and they're right there on my desktop. SkyDrive is my cloud storage of choice on other platforms, too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
The battery use of a smartphone constantly trying to sync its content to a cloud is what concerns me especially in places where you are on G or 3G with 1 bar. While we're (sort of) in the subject, are there any apps that put WiFi, Data, airplane mode on-off buttons on your homescreen?

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
The battery use of a smartphone constantly trying to sync its content to a cloud is what concerns me especially in places where you are on G or 3G with 1 bar. While we're (sort of) in the subject, are there any apps that put WiFi, Data, airplane mode on-off buttons on your homescreen?
Yes, I have one that is called Connectivity Tiles. Give it a try. You can pin the individual tiles to your start screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99