Lumia 820 under-rated cell ?

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
i have been using it for a month..the phone is perfect in all sense..Amoled screen..1gb ram

what i dont get is why wasnt it advertized extensively and still in many blogs people say 720 is better than 820 !!

i found pics from 820 to be at par with 720 + the Amoled screen is very vibrant !

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
720 is only better in terms of camera (because of low light) and build quality because it's unibody and has a better design, but specs-wise 820 crushes it. In WP, there are basically just high ends (1GB) and low ends (512MB), and the 820 is the very basic high-end WP you can get. The 820's camera may not have low light tech, but when configured correctly it still deliver great imaging quality. But yes, normal photos appear to be just on par.

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
A more significant difference is the high battery life of the 720.

True. The 820 has the worst battery life of all WP8 phones, whereas the 720 has the best battery life of all WP8 phones, at least until the new Lumias are released.

The long battery life is easily the best feature of my Lumia 720, with the camera in 2nd place and the design in third. I just wish it had a HD screen.

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
worst battery life ??
i get 2 days of battery life with moderate to high use !!

And my friends reported higher batter drain on 720 because of its lcd screen !

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I disagree that the 820 is a great device. As mentioned, battery life was poor, its heavy and thick (especially with wireless charging shell) and all three of them that I owned would shut down randomly and require a soft reset to restart.
Particularly annoying was the charging shell, it left a sizable gap under the camera lens housing when installed and cases no longer fit over it. The back covers are VERY difficult to remove and require supreme patience, I ended up bending the front corner of the charging shell by using too much force on the rear.
If you can score one for cheap nowadays ($100) I would say go for it, the camera was decent, not great, and battery was swappable plus SD card slot. But...really a subpar experience vs. 920 imho, which can be had for around $200-$250 now used.
Just remember that many of these lumias from last year are out of warranty now so if buying used cross your fingers you're getting a good one.

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I disagree that the 820 is a great device. As mentioned, battery life was poor, its heavy and thick (especially with wireless charging shell) and all three of them that I owned would shut down randomly and require a soft reset to restart.
Particularly annoying was the charging shell, it left a sizable gap under the camera lens housing when installed and cases no longer fit over it. The back covers are VERY difficult to remove and require supreme patience, I ended up bending the front corner of the charging shell by using too much force on the rear.
If you can score one for cheap nowadays ($100) I would say go for it, the camera was decent, not great, and battery was swappable plus SD card slot. But...really a subpar experience vs. 920 imho, which can be had for around $200-$250 now used.
Just remember that many of these lumias from last year are out of warranty now so if buying used cross your fingers you're getting a good one.

Half the things you mentioned must have been because of a defective 820.

Mine or even my friend's 820 never had any of the problems you mentioned !

Marc_SP

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty happy with my 820. No special problems with battery or software bugs. I got the Nokia protective shell (thet replaces the original back cover of the phone), so it looks almost like "naked" while being much tough than the average smartphone. Removable battery is a big plus for the future when it loses its charging ability.
Only bad thing about the phone is that the 8GB internal storage is barely enough for apps, even when putting maps and everything else possible in the sd card.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
820 is a great phone.

I think the only reason it wasn't very popular was because of it's price. It was a lower spec phone than the 920 but not TOO much cheaper. The 720 hit more of a sweet spot with the price. But as a phone itself, I have had three 820's and they are fantastic phones. As a result, they can be found pretty cheap on ebay and are one of the best deals around on Windows Phones.

To the OP, the question isn't whether one phone is better than the other. The question is, does this particular phone do what you want and make you happy? Looks like it does, so YOU WIN! Doesn't matter what anyone else says.

I'm similar, I LOVE the 810. Such a great phone, but it is probably the least popular windows phone and many have described it as ugly, but it is one of my absolute favourites. But that doesn't matter as I'm happy!

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The 820 being my first WP8 device, and I got it on launch day. Of course, there were a LOT of problems plaguing WP8 then, auto-reboots, and what have you. Nokia refused to exchange a new device for me, and denied the auto-rebooting problem as existent. Pissed the heck outta me.

Didn't manage to stick with it for a 2 whole month before I switched to the 8X.

The camera was horrible. (because it's pre-Portico) and as mentioned, the shells. I like to switch them every 2 days or so, and it was a pain in the @ss to remove, broke a few of my nails. And most importantly, it didn't have a 'retina' display. My eyes are used to PPIs above 300 and I just couldn't get used to it. Using the indigo theme, I would notice that there was an extra pixel of red and blue to the left and right of the tile. My eyes are pretty sensitive to light, so maybe I'm just nitpicking, but the display was the most horrible part of the entire device.

It's still a great device nonetheless, just that it doesn't suit some users.
(I have the 920 now!)

Tonchi91

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

- Battery life on my L820 is good for me. It is running at least 24 hours if I am not playing games and listening the music (I listen a lot since I got Bluetooth headset)
- Heavy? Dude it's weight is so small that if I am not wearing the external mask on it, I wouldn't even feel it in my hand. Look for an instance L920 which is so heavy and fat
- I remove back cover in a second. You just have to know how to remove it
- I have a 24 months warranty for my L820
- And most important thing, I have never had a need to do soft reset or hard reset. Everything is working great and smoothly

JimiDiGriz

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
The only thing that inhibits me on the 820 is storage. I'd love to be able to save Nokia Music mixes to the SD card. Also as native podcast support is pants I used Podcast Lounge which is an excellent app but OS limitations stop the podcasts being saved to the SD card. If those two things were sorted I'd have no issues with storage at all and zero issues with the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro