Is a class 10 micro SD as fast as WP's internal memory?

Neusyn

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
From what I've seen it really depends on the device and card. Quite a few devices will not see much or any improvement above class 6. Afaik Nokia Lumia also are no exception so I'd say save money and get a class 6.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
in general use, it shouldn't matter much. now if you were doing some heavy lifting on a timetable like running big programs of the card (in Surface for example), or needing to rapidly move and work with media ASAP, go for it.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
You did . . . Solely based on * your * needs, not mine. I want the to squeeze out all the performance I can to make it feel the same as accessing flash memory.

Sorry if I was vague, I was referring to my reply of
Class 10 = 10MB/s, so no.
As an example, my mid-range HTC8S using the MSM8227 SOC use dual-channel LPDDR2-800 at 12.6GB/s

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I can't believe this hasn't been answered yet. I don't have a micro usb cable on me, but connect your phone to your laptop and try dragging and dropping a file from your laptop to your device and back, and then report your speed of both here. That will give you read/write times.

I personally think that the speed of a high speed class 10 will be similar. I have a 32GB 30MB/s microSD card that I bought from amazon for like $25.The internal memory should also be about 30MB/s

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if I was vague, I was referring to my reply of As an example, my mid-range HTC8S using the MSM8227 SOC use dual-channel LPDDR2-800 at 12.6GB/s

Just to note that is the speed the bus operates, not necessarily the speed of the memory. It's a theoretical maximum.
Also DDR is used for connecting dynamic memory (i.e. RAM), not flash, so isn't relevant here.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I can't find the web page anymore, but I do remember that WP devices are supposed to use UHS compliant microSD cards (if a microSD slot is used) to be "certified' by Microsoft as a compliant device to run the WP operating system.

Now the fun part. You can have a microSD card that is Class 6, but is also UHS 1. Meaning that if you put it in a device that is using the old bus technology (aka Class) you will get a transfer rate of a minimum of 6 Mb/s. But put the same card in a device that uses the newer bus technology (aka UHS) you will get a transfer rate of at least 10 Mb/s.

Even more fun. Class and UHS speeds are spec'd as minimum speeds to be certified. So a UHS 1 class card with always get you at least 10 Mb/s. But it could be faster, depending on the manufacturer and how well they make the card, up to 30 Mb/s. Then the card is certified as a UHS 3 card.

Same goes for Class ratings. As soon as the cards transfer rate increases enough to the next level (2 -> 4 -> 6 -> 10).

So...what you should take out of this, is to stop shopping via the "Class" rating and look at the "UHS" rating for microSD cards for Windows Phone.

Last edited:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Another thing about testing card speeds via a PC. Don't. For some reason most PC makers don't put the SD card reader on a fast bus inside the PC (minimize costs possibly). Tom's Hardware researched this awhile back and came up frustrated at the transfer rates. The all maxed out a set rate, even if the card was rated at a higher speed.

It's only device manufacturers (phones, cameras, etc.) that spend the extra money to put the SD reader on fast buses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss