Hey MS, want more apps downloaded? Free the SD!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinianIV

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
MS is having problems with the amount of apps purchased. For months I would have loved to download more apps, but I can't because my 820 has no more space!

If we can only put pictures and videos on or SD cards, the scant 8gb of internal storage is used up super quick.

Why not help us help you and at allow us to install programs onto SD like Android has been doing for three years now?

At the very least, allow us outside the US to save our large podcast files onto SD.

It's simple: no free-space = fewer apps purchased = less developer interest = fewer apps for the ecosystem = more poor sales for WP8

So sick of MS ruining what could have been a great OS.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
The problem is that speeds of SD Cards vary greatly and Microsoft want to avoid performance issues so that's why apps can't be stored on the SD Card.

Robert Novak1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
MS is having problems with the amount of apps purchased. For months I would have loved to download more apps, but I can't because my 820 has no more space!

If we can only put pictures and videos on or SD cards, the scant 8gb of internal storage is used up super quick.

Why not help us help you and at allow us to install programs onto SD like Android has been doing for three years now?

At the very least, allow us outside the US to save our large podcast files onto SD.

It's simple: no free-space = fewer apps purchased = less developer interest = fewer apps for the ecosystem = more poor sales for WP8

So sick of MS ruining what could have been a great OS.

uhm, windows mobile has been able to store stuff on SD cards since at least version 5... that would be more than 3 years ago....

MS removed that funcationality to be more apple like using the guise of sd card issues running apps (because people are cheap and as such buy cheap stuff)

distilledoreo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Not only is varying SD card speeds a factor, but piracy is a big issue as well. What's to stop someone from copying apps from the SD card onto another phone? I get that there would be security precautions, but it would make piracy far easier than it is today.

AskaLangly

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Software piracy? Yeah, I see MS's point. But I like to download files not supported for other apps, like EXEs and whatnot, save those onto the SD, and transfer them to the PC whenever I get back. At least with Android (and Opera), you can.

daniel_sherlock

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
No, you set a standard and when you insert a sd card into your phone its formatted to work only with that phone removing it putting into another will not work. They done it for xbox 360. Each app is locked to a profile. It can be done. If they wanted

JustinianIV

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I understand there are issues around allowing apps to be installed on SD. The point is that Android is able to do it, you know, the company with 80% share and thriving ecosystem. Even Surface RT can do it (though via a hack).

And if it is simply out of the question for apps, then at least allow us to save video and sound files which we downloaded using a 3rd party app. I see no reason why I shouldn't be allowed to store my large podcast files that I downloaded with Wpodder directly to SD. Why should I have to first put the podcasts on my PC and then to the SD?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I understand there are issues around allowing apps to be installed on SD. The point is that Android is able to do it, you know, the company with 80% share and thriving ecosystem. Even Surface RT can do it (though via a hack).

And if it is simply out of the question for apps, then at least allow us to save video and sound files which we downloaded using a 3rd party app. I see no reason why I shouldn't be allowed to store my large podcast files that I downloaded with Wpodder directly to SD. Why should I have to first put the podcasts on my PC and then to the SD?

So because Android does something then it's the right thing to do, is it?

AFAIK, as long as you set media to save to SD Card in the Storage settings then it should save to the SD Card regardless of the app. If the app hasn't been updated from the Windows Phone 7 version then it's possible that it ignores this setting.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
One of the original WP7 devices had an SD card reader in it, and performance was dramatically effected based on the card you used.

The big problem being, that its the random access time of the card that is soo critical to WP performance, and no card specifications can tell you that information. Just because someone buys a fast class X card, doesn't necessarily mean it'll be fast enough for WP.

People don't buy card based on performance, and most users won't spend ages reading through websites like this, to find the right cards to buy, they'll just buy a cheap card off Amazon, then spend the rest of their time b**ching at Microsoft about the performance of their phone, when the problem is actually the speed of their card.

I would also expect Microsoft to put a bit more effort into encryption on an SD card (to combat piracy), which would slow things even more.

Like someone else suggested, Microsoft should support SD cards, but run a performance test on first installation, and display a big warning telling people they will have performance issues if the card doesn't hit the right spec.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a better idea.

Get rid of SD cards completely and only have a minimum of 16GB on all low end phones. Make mid range 32GB and make flagships 128GB. There, problems solved. No more complaints about SD cards.

SD cards are great and all but the varying in quality is causing nothing but headaches. Even quality SD cards have issues and there are those that claim to be a name brand but are actually some cheap knock off. I've had two dodgy cards which I thought were quality so I'm not just saying this I have experience.

I know some people will complain about that suggestion but I think it's a better solution.

JustinianIV

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I might be wrong, but I read that it is possible on Android (since Froyo, 2010) to install apps to SD. Google "android how to install apps on SD" and you will see what I mean. However, I can accept that this might not be the case with Android.

What I can't accept is why you can't transfer things from third party apps directly to SD. These are things that provide a service that those outside the US don't have through MS, like podcasts.

I have a better idea.

Get rid of SD cards completely and only have a minimum of 16GB on all low end phones. Make mid range 32GB and make flagships 128GB. There, problems solved. No more complaints about SD cards.

SD cards are great and all but the varying in quality is causing nothing but headaches. Even quality SD cards have issues and there are those that claim to be a name brand but are actually some cheap knock off. I've had two dodgy cards which I thought were quality so I'm not just saying this I have experience.

I know some people will complain about that suggestion but I think it's a better solution.

I like SD cards, but they should have done whatever they needed to do to encourage more app downloads. Perhaps internal storage only is better and Apple is right.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a better idea.

To make the suggestion more valid:
Minimum requirements:
For 512 MB RAM, 16 GB Internal Storage
For 1 GB RAM, 32 GB Internal Storage. (Though, set up 16 GB for those who don't need it)
For 2 GB RAM, 64 GB Internal Storage.
(Once again, halve it for those who don't need it)
...and so on.

I agree with this approach, though I'm sure my music and games collections won't agree with me.
Besides, 16GB still isn't enough!

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
By the way, if Microsoft says piracy is the reason, you can only install five .xap files at a time without verification on a dev-unlocked phone. Regular people have to go through the WP Store hoops.

Windows Phone is still quite hard to hack, and regular people won't have the means to install pirated copies onto their phones due to the restrictions. (Like requiring internet for verification.)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
To make the suggestion more valid:
Minimum requirements:
For 512 MB RAM, 16 GB Internal Storage
For 1 GB RAM, 32 GB Internal Storage. (Though, set up 16 GB for those who don't need it)
For 2 GB RAM, 64 GB Internal Storage.
(Once again, halve it for those who don't need it)
...and so on.

I agree with this approach, though I'm sure my music and games collections won't agree with me.
Besides, 16GB still isn't enough!

I personally feel 512MB devices shouldn't exist. It's time we moved on.

Maybe 32/64BGB for mid range and 64/128GB for flagships?

I always find the idea of people carrying around all their music on their phones and a crap load of videos crazy. I know some people don't like to manage things or like to have things on the spur but some consideration should be taken. I have way too much music to carry around on my phone I think a better solution is cloud storage.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I like SD cards, but they should have done whatever they needed to do to encourage more app downloads. Perhaps internal storage only is better and Apple is right.

How many apps do you need on your phone? Most apps are not that big and going by the 'average' user most people don't use more than 20 apps. I think the bigger issue is with apps space usage. The 'other' storage issue is another one of those things as well.

Lastly, you can't be a power user on a low end device. That's the impression I keep getting with these types of comments. People get a low end phone and want the world. Doesn't work like that. The only thing I see coming for SD cards is probably MS documents and that's it.

I'm not a developer but from my understanding the dev can set their app to use the SD card as storage, most don't bother though. Maybe request that?

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
My $40 Azpen 7 inch android tablet i purchased from microcenter with its jellybean os allows me to move downloaded apps to the sd card. So i agree, add this feature.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
My $40 Azpen 7 inch android tablet i purchased from microcenter with its jellybean os allows me to move downloaded apps to the sd card. So i agree, add this feature.

Oh I know, I have the perfect suggestion. Keep using your Android tablet for that purpose.

This is WP, not Android. Biggest mistake was the stupid SD card. Everyone who gets a phone with one wants WP to be Android.

Though I can't say for certain, I don't see this functionality ever coming to WP. MS is way too security conscious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb