Get a new GDR3 handset or wait for WP 8.1?

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
I have an old HTC Titan II on AT&T which is running 7.8

I've been waiting for a new GDR3 handset exactly like the new Verizon Nokia Lumia 929 (I can't stand the feel and shape of the AT&T Lumia 1520, I have a 920 for work and absolutely hate it's feel).

My contract isn't up on AT&T until I think April or May of 2014, even though AT&T is offering me an upgrade now. I left Sprint after 12yrs for AT&T because I finally got SICK of their terrible line of Windows devices lagging behind. I really would hate to switch from AT&T to Verizon for the 929 just because I can't stand the 1520.

I've also heard that WP 8.1 is going to be getting rid of the back arrow and going with on-screen versions of the home button and search, among MANY other features I am waiting for being a heavy enterprise user.

Does anyone know if WP8.1 will require new hardware? Or will 8.1 be pushed as an upgrade to the current 929/1520?

I'm just trying to decide what I should do.

Thanks!

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
8.1 should be pushed down to all models of Windows Phone 8, so I'm 100% confident the 929 and 1520 will get it. 8.1 does not require new hardware. What you may find is that the lower end devices will miss some of the features which will be found in the higher end phones, but this is to be expected due to lower hardware specifications (like RAM etc).

The 1520 will be loved by some and ignored by others (mainly due to it's size). I think it looks a great phone, but I'm yet to decide whether I want such a big screen. The 929 is looking like it will be a great phone, especially as it has a 5" screen which is what quite a few people are looking for. In my personal opinion if you are not keen on the size or feel of the 1520, I'd say think about getting the 929 or upgrade in April/May when hopefully some other Nokia phones will be launched/announced.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
Honestly screen size isn't really the issue, the feel and shape of the 1520 is. Kinda sucks or I would just get it.

I guess I will wait and see what comes out by when my 2yr at AT&T is up in May '14. I'm really not a fan of Nokia at all, I wish HTC would get back on the ball.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Question - why do you hate the feel of the 920? Do you have one of the matte versions? If so, and if that's why you hate its feel, I would recommend getting a case for it. It really improves the grip.

As for the original question of this thread, I would wait for 8.1. I have a 920 and will certainly hold onto it and wait for the update, although I always daydream about getting a new phone. Nah, I'll stick it out awhile yet with my trusty black 920.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Honestly screen size isn't really the issue, the feel and shape of the 1520 is. Kinda sucks or I would just get it.

I guess I will wait and see what comes out by when my 2yr at AT&T is up in May '14. I'm really not a fan of Nokia at all, I wish HTC would get back on the ball.

I'd say wait for till February. By then, Microsoft will at least announce windows phone 8.1 as well as announce new hardware, and we'll know for certain what features will come to older phones.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
I bought an old gf a 900 in gloss white and I have a 920 in matte black for work. They both just feel like they have no grip and are very awkward trying to use one handed, they just don't feel right compared to the rubber feel of the HTC I have and others I've had. I can't even count how many times I've dropped my stupid 920, I've never ever dropped my Titan II. I don't want to have to buy a case for nay of my phones either. Just a personal thing I suppose. I also hate how the Nokia screen reacts to touch from anything and not just a finger, every time I wipe the screen on my shirt, it goes crazy.

Aardappelboom

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I'd wait.

Don't get me wrong. GDR3 is fantastic and I would definitely convince you to buy it. But since 8.1 is right around the corner. And we'll hear about it in a few months. I'd just sit back and take it all in. Then buy the freshest device out there and you're good for at least 2 years.

If you buy the best GDR3 device now you might just regret not being able to get the new hardware that comes out with WP8.1

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I also hate how the Nokia screen reacts to touch from anything and not just a finger, every time I wipe the screen on my shirt, it goes crazy.
Go into Settings, then 'touch'. Change the touch sensitivity from High to Normal, this should help with this problem.

MikesChevelle

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
keep in mind if the 928 is any indicator on the 929, the 929 will be factory GSM unlocked if you wish to stay with AT&T. I used a 928 on T-Mobile with out much of any issue

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
The 929 is a CDMA handset, not GSM. Unless they later release a GSM version of the 929 for people who want a smaller screen than the 1520.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
The 929 is a CDMA handset, not GSM. Unless they later release a GSM version of the 929 for people who want a smaller screen than the 1520.

It has both radios inside. Hence why MikesChevelle was able to use a 928 on T-Mobile and why some have been able to use the 822 on T-Mo as well.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't like the feel of the 920 that I have. It's a matter of the density and thickness but I love the way the 1520 feels. Even though it is bigger it just feels easier to handle.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
I don't like the feel of the 920 that I have. It's a matter of the density and thickness but I love the way the 1520 feels. Even though it is bigger it just feels easier to handle.

Thanks, that's awesome to hear a direct comparison on feel! Perhaps I'll go down to the local AT&T store tomorrow and check it out for myself!

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, that's awesome to hear a direct comparison on feel! Perhaps I'll go down to the local AT&T store tomorrow and check it out for myself!

One thing that sucks is having that stupid security tether in the store. It makes it a bit harder to judge the phone when its trying to yank it back to the display table.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
Haha good point, I'm sure I can talk our business rep into letting me handle one from a box, I'll just keep all the plastic stickies on it lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6