Update Process / Issues on WP8

freypal

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Apologies for the ignorance here. I'm coming to WP8 from WP7 (Omnia 7 + Lumia 800) and just wondered how the update process works on WP8.

On WP7 I had to have the phone wired to the PC and updated through Zune which also stored backups of the phone as it updated.

On WP8 am I right in thinking all updates are done exclusively OTA, no wired updates? If so how are backups handled?

Also, there were a number of issues with updates on WP7 (I ended up resistor jigging my Omnia 7 due to gettin a bad bootloader via an update). Have these been ironed out in WP8? If an update is installed OTA then I guess this is a bit safer than potentially losing power on my PC and wrecking the update/phone... Any horror stories of bad WP8 updates so far?

Thanks!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
To answer your questions concerning OTA, yes it's all OTA with WP8. No connecting to the computer for updates. I do recommend having your phone fully powered and preferably backup beforehand.

For you answer on backups this is the best information: Backing up your stuff | Windows Phone How-to (United Kingdom)

As for issues regarding updates to WP8. Some people have them, some don't. There's a few threads on here of people stating their issues after updates. Usually a hard reset fixes most issues but that means making sure you've backed up everything first.

freypal

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys. I'd read about the spinning gears and that's pretty concerning. Is this really a widespread issue or is it more of a once in a blue moon deal? I also read a lot about it affecting the 920, is this also on the 1020?

In terms of updates completely bricking devices though, has there been any of that so far?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the latest phones suffer from the spinning cogs as much as the 920 did. I had the issue and had to send my phone in. There's software now to deal with that situation. If you own a Lumia.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ng-gears-cogs-bug-nokia-lumia-users-only.html

I think there's also a key combination but not sure how successful it is.

As for bricking devices, I haven't heard anything. People refer to the spinning cogs as being 'bricked'.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos