stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
The radio app is just bbc radio streaming and misixmatch is just a lyrics app although i did uninstall the latter to no avail. The htc app is pointless i installed it just before the video but it gives away nothing

MKairys

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this topic! I just got GDR3 on my Verizon HTC 8X and have been wondering if this is "as good as it gets"... As suggested I did a comparison of Make More Space and Settings Storage, which is itself interesting, observations below. I have 3GB of system, which also seems a bit high (maybe hard reset will help?) but I also wonder about the 1.5GB of "missing mass" doesn't that seem a bit high too? I mean, I expect some file system overhead , but a gig and a half? Comments please...

So it looks like Make More Space omits games, maps, email, and system from its accounting, and its temp figure is much lower... When I add those things back in its result is pretty close to Settings Storage...

Settings Storage
apps + games 3.320
music+videos 2.020
pictures 2.750
documents 0.000
maps 0.455
email+msging 0.120
system 3.020
temp 0.498
free 2.310
total 14.493

Make More Space
music+videos 2.020
pictures 2.750
documents 0.000
apps 1.920
temp 0.308
free 2.310
subtotal 9.308

games 1.400
maps 0.455
email+msging 0.120
system 3.020
temp diff 0.147
total 14.450

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Thing i find strange is the ms has never said what a normal system amount should be even an average. Tbh i could just leave it and put up with it but i don't even think me deleting apps will bring it down seems you have a faction less apps and half the amount of system storage. Think i may just bite my fist and hard reset although who likes to do that :'(

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
App data/email attachements etc go into system

It's only normal that the more you have, the more space it would pick up

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
So what your saying is that one app around 0.7gb is size compared to mine and mkairys is using 3gb more data because i have less emails on my 8x???

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
As others have said, I believe you just have alot of "cached" information. Emails, address book, etc. I also found out for myself at least, for example, if you started a video download of 1GB and only downloaded half of that, the full 1GB is still accounted for unless you delete the download. Like I also said, some installer packs probably haven't been deleted yet because Make more space always have apps listed that are deleted on mine. Also, internet explorer takes alot of space if you have alot of history.

Go through each app and setting(like automatic SkyDrive upload) and see if there are pending downloads, long history in IE, or that you've missed some things. If not, maybe the system haven't met the requirements to delete old files yet.

MKairys

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The store just updated Asphalt 7Heat and my Apps+Games increased by 0.5GB and my System increased by 1.5GB. So that update to an existing game cost me an additional 2GB.

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Well bit the bullet and hard reset (getting music back on was a *****) and i have now after updating every app and putting everything back to how it was before im left with a system memory of 2.76gb and over 3gb left to use as i like. Strange!!! Only thing i noticed that makes the system memory go up was adding ringtones back on if that helps anyone

MKairys

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Same here, my System went from 4.8 to 2.8 and Temp from 1.0 to 0.1. But what really amazed me is my current app list was automatically restored.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Auto uploading pictures from the camera gave me problems with the "other" storage. I turned that off and it never really increased after that. I believe the Map data files reside it "other" as well.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I think the 8X has a storage problem OR the dedicated imaging chip may have a caching system.

I own the 8X and ATIV S use/used both with all the same settings/apps/files and the difference is huge. (and thats not including the ATIV S's micro SD)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss