Google on Windows Phone

BrandonTeoh

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Author's note:

After seeing all your responses, I might have to explain why I feel guilty to use Google on Windows Phone or even on IE on my laptop. One reason is that I am quite committed to Microsoft's ecosystem and might get corrupted by Microsoft's scroggled concept/movement. I do committed to myself: never use anything Google related except for YouTube because there is no real alternative to it, even on iOS, I use Bing as my search engine on Safari.

If that wasn't enough, from WPCentral and WMPoweruser, there are articles about Google messing around the Windows Phone platform as if they tried to sabatoge it e.g. YouTube app? So it made me feel that Google is evil and shall not use its services (in a boycott fashion) and tried (and failing) to convince my friends from adopting the MS ecosystem.

Last edited:

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about you, but do you ever, I mean ever use Google (or anything relating to it) on your Windows Phone?
I do feel a bit guilty when using Google-related stuff on my Windows Phone, do you?

Google Maps and Google Search.

Bing is just terrible in Switzerland. They are now officially out of beta for a month or so, but without adding any features.

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Author's note:

After seeing all your responses, I might have to explain why I feel guilty to use Google on Windows Phone or even on IE on my laptop. One reason is that I am quite committed to Microsoft's ecosystem and might get corrupted by Microsoft's scroggled concept/movement. I do committed to myself: never use anything Google related except for YouTube because there is no real alternative to it, even on iOS, I use Bing as my search engine on Safari.

If that wasn't enough, from WPCentral and WMPoweruser, there are articles about Google messing around the Windows Phone platform as if they tried to sabatoge it e.g. YouTube app? So it made me feel that Google is evil and shall not use its services (in a boycott fashion) and tried (and failing) to convince my friends from adopting the MS ecosystem.

Playing the devil's advocate for a second: don't think that because Google is making it harder for Windows Phone, that Microsoft is any better. Google's slogan was born for a reason. And if MS pushes the wrong buttons with the Scroogled campaign, the good image they have been building in the recent past may very well crumble in seconds.

We are all fans of MS products around here, some more, some less. That's why we're here, but let's not forget that both companies have dirt on their records.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Welp,
I just totally abandoned Goog search on phone and PC.
Getting reward points for using MS services did it for me.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I use Google and bing equally for search... its a draw for me for the most part. Email is a clear win for Microsoft for me. I was never a fan of Gmail.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
MS services are all well and good but convincing my friends to switch to skype and skydrive isn't going to happen.

I never mention Skype to my friends as a reason to switch. I don't use Skype; I have no need for it. I don't even try to convince them to switch. I tell them what I like about the os and some of the things WP does, that the other os' don't do. I let them decide.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I've used Google's search engine on my 810 and 920 minimally. Usually, I'll just use Bing for a search, especially when I'm looking for an address on a map. Generally, I hate Google, although I use it extensively for research.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Haha! I installed it on my RT, I think, maybe on my original one, but I can't even tell you if it's installed now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720