11-28-2013 11:01 AM
34 12
tools
    I don't know about you, but do you ever, I mean ever use Google (or anything relating to it) on your Windows Phone?
    I do feel a bit guilty when using Google-related stuff on my Windows Phone, do you?
    11-25-2013 05:21 AM
    I don't know about you, but do you ever, I mean ever use Google (or anything relating to it) on your Windows Phone?
    I do feel a bit guilty when using Google-related stuff on my Windows Phone, do you?
    Why?

Use whatever fits your needs and does the job best. I use Android, iOS, OS X and Windows 8 on a regular basis - the Nexus 4 is the best phone for my needs, an iPod Touch for music, main laptop is a Retina MBP though I use MS Office on it more than anything, and a Windows 8 rig for gaming. I've never felt any deficiencies due to the whole "ecosystem" thing that people keep talking about.
    techiez, osoalex, rdubmu and 4 others like this.
    11-25-2013 05:36 AM
    No, I don't. For now, as a search engine, Google is still many miles ahead of Bing. As an e-mail service... I've been farther from changing, but I'm keeping it for now.

I use what I need as I need it. An I must confess I don't even understand why should one feel guilty for using Google on a WP.
    11-25-2013 06:27 AM
    On my phone I barely use Google Search and YouTube (a little).
    However on desktop I use YouTube + Google Translate + Google Search (as much as Bing).
    11-25-2013 07:03 AM
    I switched to outlook mail as my main account, but still have my old gmail linked to my WP just in case. In the US I use bing and other MS services only google service I use occasionally is youtube. However when outside of US I unfortunately nearly always have to switch to google services, especially search, because for reasons known only to MS most of their services are not that great when you leave the US.
    11-25-2013 07:22 AM
    My phone number is a google voice integrated number (sprint). So my voice mails come in as transcribed text messages, every incoming/outgoing call is logged in google voice, and spam/blocked calls are blocked on the server side before my phone even rings. I have 2 gmail accounts syncing, and that is where all my contacts are stored. I was never big on using youtube, but I do use it when I want to show my kids something that can help answer their questions (3 and 6 year olds, so LOTS of questions). So yeah, lots of google stuff going on on my windows phone. I use what works best for me. Google services + windows phone 8 seems to be a good combination.
    I do wish Google would make a Voice app for WP, but they don't even have an updated version for Android of iOS, so I'm not going to hold my breath waiting ;)
    11-25-2013 07:42 AM
    Nope, nothing Google on my phone. No reason for me. I have outlook for e-mail and yahoo for junk email. MetroTube for videos. Bing does what I need it to. I have a WP8, therefore I will use as much of the MS services as I can. I support MS and thus in doing so, hope that my support helps advance the whole ecosystem, making it a better experience for everyone.
    M L likes this.
    11-25-2013 08:20 AM
    No guilty feeling here. I use a few google apps on wp and a few microsoft apps on android. I just use whatever works best for me.
    rdubmu likes this.
    11-25-2013 08:21 AM
    I will be very happy to use Google services on my phone because Google offer much better quality than MS services.
    Bing, Bing maps, Bing video every thing suck , atleast in my country. I proudly use Google services on my phone.

One company(MS) is busy in bully and another one(Google) is ignoring like it never exist.
    11-25-2013 09:07 AM
    I have started using Bing instead of Google, and I don't really use it on my Windows Phone. Not because I "hate" them or all of the other absurd reasons people seem to come up with. But basically because I like to use the search button when I need to get some quick results...It's been getting better and better and I get relevant results most of time. Sometimes better results than Google. It's just extremely comfortable to use the search button.

On my computer I switch to google from time to time. But ever since Hotmail turned into outlook and Windows 8 was released I mostly use Microsoft services. It does work quite nicely within their operating systems.

Don't feel guilty by all means. Use what you think is best.
    11-25-2013 09:54 AM
    I don't feel the least bit guilty for using Google services on my Windows Phone. The only one I use is YouTube (through MetroTube), and if there were a viable alternative to that, I'd use it.
    11-25-2013 10:05 AM
    Everyday. If there weren't third party apps for hangouts, drive, gmail, youtube, etc, I wouldn't be using a Windows Phone. MS services are all well and good but convincing my friends to switch to skype and skydrive isn't going to happen.
    11-25-2013 11:01 AM
    Use Google as search
    11-25-2013 11:04 AM
    I use Google services on my WP, and I use Microsoft services on my Android. No guilt either way! I use whatever best fills my needs.
    Chief_Adu and FinancialP like this.
    11-25-2013 11:27 AM
    For me, Google services is only for basic stuff in my WP phone and my PC, only for browsing, and YouTube. The rest is MS - Nokia services combined. Outlook and gmail, are equally important to me.

I don't have any problems with Skydrive, Skype is good for me... and the Here Maps - Drive are far more superior than Google maps.
    11-25-2013 11:59 AM
    I might use the web based search engine, but that's about it. When I switched to WP I also switched to Outlook and haven't regretted it a bit. The one thing I do miss though is the Google Map app. That rocked.
    11-25-2013 06:47 PM
    Why?

Use whatever fits your needs and does the job best. I use Android, iOS, OS X and Windows 8 on a regular basis - the Nexus 4 is the best phone for my needs, an iPod Touch for music, main laptop is a Retina MBP though I use MS Office on it more than anything, and a Windows 8 rig for gaming. I've never felt any deficiencies due to the whole "ecosystem" thing that people keep talking about.
    I agree, I switch between so may OSes, its ridiculous
    11-25-2013 09:25 PM
    on my win8.1 I use metrotube modern app and sometimes google translator if bing translator failed to provide accurate translation, on my windowsphone I only use metrotube.
    11-25-2013 09:58 PM
    We're an all Windows household these days.
    Using Google search on me phone and down to one well used g-mail account so that's about it.
    I have a couple of Yahoo mail junk accounts for deflection purposes.
    Slowly moving away from the Goog here.
    11B1P likes this.
    11-26-2013 12:25 AM
    I have Google search on my WP which I use when I don't want to type. The voice search is better with Google. I use Gmail, Hotmail and work email on the WP equally.I rarely watch videos on the phone, too small a screen for my taste. I am more of a listener and Nokia Mix Radio is my favorite app, followed by Audiotica. Skydrive does a better job IMO than Drive for backup - this is based on my experience on Nexus 4 vs Lumia 521.
    11-26-2013 01:01 AM
    I deleted my GMAIL account 2 days ago. :) Just using Search engine but only secondary to Bing. Specially on Image searches.
    11-26-2013 05:40 AM
    I just use youtube, about it
    11-26-2013 05:44 AM
    Why would you feel guilty?
    11-26-2013 06:00 AM
    Author's note:

After seeing all your responses, I might have to explain why I feel guilty to use Google on Windows Phone or even on IE on my laptop. One reason is that I am quite committed to Microsoft's ecosystem and might get corrupted by Microsoft's scroggled concept/movement. I do committed to myself: never use anything Google related except for YouTube because there is no real alternative to it, even on iOS, I use Bing as my search engine on Safari.

If that wasn't enough, from WPCentral and WMPoweruser, there are articles about Google messing around the Windows Phone platform as if they tried to sabatoge it e.g. YouTube app? So it made me feel that Google is evil and shall not use its services (in a boycott fashion) and tried (and failing) to convince my friends from adopting the MS ecosystem.
    Last edited by BrandonTeoh; 11-26-2013 at 08:49 AM.
    11-26-2013 08:34 AM
    Google Maps and Google Search.

Bing is just terrible in Switzerland. They are now officially out of beta for a month or so, but without adding any features.
    11-26-2013 08:38 AM
34 12