10gb OF OTHER STORAGE!!!!

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Omg I can't believe I'm still dealing with this bs. Still no real fix for this? Really? What on earth is going on! There should be no need for ANYONE to have 10whole GB of other storage. I only have maybe 5gb worth of apps and games. If the OS requires this much other storage then ok maybe this is not for me but that suck because a side of me eventually losing all of my memory mostly due to other I love my phone but if this is Ms way of say " time for a new phone" then this is not for me!

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's their way of saying time for a new phone. I think it's a known issue, but you're right they are taking their sweet time figuring it out

anon(5527120)

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Which phone do you have mate? Having too many games can be a cause as games store a lot of data. If you have GDR3, you can use 'storage check' to clear temporary files. The face that Windows stores the installation files of apps in memory is annoying.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Which phone do you have mate? Having too many games can be a cause as games store a lot of data. If you have GDR3, you can use 'storage check' to clear temporary files. The face that Windows stores the installation files of apps in memory is annoying.

most of the time temp files are tiny relative to other storage

I have 2GB of other storage, and 60mb of temp files

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I am not saying this will resolve the problem you are having with your L920 but it might help you to understand what is going on and why:

Microsoft clarifies how ‘Other storage’ works on Windows Phone 8 GDR2 | Windows Phone Central

This article also offers some ways to free some space. I say its worth the read.
I've read that article a hundred times ..still doesn't explain why I have 10gb of other and climbing

lumia920

Last edited by a moderator:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Dave, I know there are issues with Other in general but I can't help feeling that when you start seeing this size it's related to sandboxed files in apps and I'm starting to think people just uninstall the app and assume the files will go with it and they don't. Which is why a hard reset is the only answer. Not sure how that app works but unless it can delete those files I doubt it will do much.

That's an opinion but I'm having difficulty trying to figure how else this can happen.

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Omg I can't believe I'm still dealing with this bs. Still no real fix for this? Really? What on earth is going on! There should be no need for ANYONE to have 10whole GB of other storage. I only have maybe 5gb worth of apps and games. If the OS requires this much other storage then ok maybe this is not for me but that suck because a side of me eventually losing all of my memory mostly due to other I love my phone but if this is Ms way of say " time for a new phone" then this is not for me!

Just checking, but what Windows Phone 8 version do you have? GDR1, GDR2? 3?

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Dave, I know there are issues with Other in general but I can't help feeling that when you start seeing this size it's related to sandboxed files in apps and I'm starting to think people just uninstall the app and assume the files will go with it and they don't. Which is why a hard reset is the only answer. Not sure how that app works but unless it can delete those files I doubt it will do much.

That's an opinion but I'm having difficulty trying to figure how else this can happen.

What that app does is fills your memory and overwrites the xap ghost files on the device. Then after a reset the memory is regained. It actually works well. I used it with my 920 a few times. I haven't needed it on my 1020 and its two early to tell on my 1520

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Other storage is not transparent! If it would tell me exactly where it is I swear I would delete it ! But Ms hides it. Don't know why! Please Ms let me see where my 10gb are exactly quit the bs this is my phone I pay for it let me do what I want with my phone when I want I understand the other guys had the same problem with other storage but like I said HAD! There problem was addressed and fixed 3 years ago.... I don't get it!

DBZo07

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Its very simple to solve, if u have high speed internet. But you need to give up your chat history of app like WhatsApp.
Here is what i did,
I backup the possible data.
Hard reset
Than after successful reset, os will prompt to restore the backup.
Accept it
Than wait for complete restoration.
Than boom.. You have large storage free.
I dint install SkyDrive..
Its only option currently with us..

Sent from Tapatalk Lumia 625 GDR3

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Its very simple to solve, if u have high speed internet. But you need to give up your chat history of app like WhatsApp.
Here is what i did,
I backup the possible data.
Hard reset
Than after successful reset, os will prompt to restore the backup.
Accept it
Than wait for complete restoration.
Than boom.. You have large storage free.
I dint install SkyDrive..
Its only option currently with us..

thinking about it

DBZo07

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
And what's other storage all about??
Leftover update files and cache files.. As ms clarified that in next update, certain other storage can be can be stored to sd card. Even manual cleaning will be added.
I have been regularly following ms Q&A thread for "other storage".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720