Virgin media smart call

Donald Sinclair

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I am obviously a virgin media customer. And sent them an e-mail which said.
Smart Call is an awesome free app that you will be launching to all your home phone customers in the coming months. It unleashes your Virgin Phone talk plan onto your smartphone - all you need is a working Wi Fi connection. I have a windows 8 mobile which you can?t get the app is there going to be one. I find I strange that you do windows 8 Pay monthly phones and Pay as you go as well but you can?t get the app for them. The reply I got was.
Thanks for getting in touch with us about the awesome Smart Call app we've recently launched. I'm sorry to hear you can't make use of this on your Windows 8 phone.
I can totally understand your frustrations at the app not being available for Windows based phones, especially as we have them available on our mobile packages.
As always we're looking at ways to improve our services for all customers and this app is no exception. I'm sure we'll be working on trying to get it on to the Windows platform. There could be issues which we're not made aware of which have prevented us from doing this so far.
I'll be passing on your concerns to our guys who deal with the Smart Call app, they collate all feedback from customers which helps to improve the apps & services we offer. As and when changes are made we'll be sure to let you know.

Again, I thank you for taking the time to get in touch and should you have any further questions please do get back in touch.
I think the more people who e-mail them the better chance we have of getting the app.
socialteam@virginmedia.co.uk

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
This is frustrating, I'm also a Virgin Media customer. I have become used to some companies releasing apps for iOs and Android only. However, as you mentioned, Virgin Media sell WP devices for Pay as you go and Contract, so to sell these phones, then not develop an app for them is quite bad in my opinion. I have emailed them through my account, as I would genuinely make use of this feature if they made it available to me. I'll see what they respond with.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I certainly will. If I don't get much of an answer or a generic sort of response, I'll also send the email to the social team one you mentioned above.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I've got some pretty good news Donald. I hadn't forgotten by the way, it's just taken me a while to get a proper answer from VM. I first contacted them through their website from my account... only to get an email back saying that it appears I have a technical based query and need to contact Technical Support through phoning them. That would have got me absolutely nowhere, so I emailed them on the social media email address you gave above. They emailed back wanting to confirm my account, then it went quiet for a good few days, but I have just recently got a very nice email from them. My question was passed through to a person who is obviously involved with the app or has heard directly from them, as they said in the email:

"... At the moment we?re not able to offer this on a windows operating system, however I can confirm that we are actively working on an app and we hope to have more information on release dates soon.

The best place to hear our news is to keep your eyes on our Twitter and Facebook sites. Alternatively, you can also bookmark this link: http://virg.in/custnews"

So it does sound like they have started developing one. It can take months for apps to be developed and fully tested, so I have no idea as to how far away we are from getting one, but as long as we do get the app, I'll be happy and actually use it myself.

:smile:

Donald Sinclair

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Well done for all the info. That sounds like good news. By the way do you know is there any way that this can get bumped top the beginning again. I think the more people that see this and complain to virgin the better.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
No problem. Regards bumping a thread to the top, with any new reply, the thread is automatically 'bumped' to the top of this section, so it will be at or near the top right now. However, excessive bumping yourself all of the time is not allowed on the forum. This is also an international forum, so as this app only applies to people who are from the UK, it will get some attention, but maybe not as much as if it's on Virgin Media's own forum pages in the UK, which are here. I have just had a quick look and there are a couple of Smart Call App threads on that forum, but VM only replied to one of them, which they said the usual, not really helpful reply, that it is only currently available on iOS and Android. However, that's probably the best place to nag VM about this. If I don't hear of any more developments on it in a few weeks, I'll probably get back in touch with them for an update.

ProfSMolyneux

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. In fact it takes less time to develop sn App for Windows 8 than IOS.

I too am looking forward to a Win 8 version of SmartCall. Time will tell.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs