Will Spotify metadata show in car when connected through bluetooth?

rodney0905

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I have a 2012 Toyota Corrolla. When playing Spotify, Songza, or Pandora using WP7, the artist, album, and track would not display when connected through bluetooth. Has this changed in WP8?

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
GMC 2012 Terrain here. It still doesn't show up for me. Nor did it on WP7. Oddly, when I first just loaded mp3's through drag/drop and connected through my USB, everything would work awesome and I could even control my music through my stereo.

rodney0905

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm really surprised no one else has talked about this. I hate to start a new thread because the topic is related: Do any other music apps; Nokia Music or something else show metadata?

Jim Harle

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I have a Subaru with a Harman/Kardon stereo, and just switched from iPhone to WP8. Using the iPhone, Pandora metadata worked via both bluetooth and USB, although I intermittently couldn't skip tracks from the steering wheel controls. With WP8 (Nokia Lumia 1520), Pandora metadata doesn't display on the stereo system via bluetooth, although track skipping always seems to work. The built-in WP8 music player displays metadata on the stereo system just fine, so I believe the problem is with the Pandora app vs. the WP8 itself. I haven't tried Spotify yet; I'll do that and report back.

Jim Harle

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Update: Looks like I won't be testing Spotify, as the current iteration of the app only works for paid subscribers. From the reviews, the app is crap on WP anyway.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Update: Looks like I won't be testing Spotify, as the current iteration of the app only works for paid subscribers. From the reviews, the app is crap on WP anyway.
a huge overhaul is supposed to be released very very soon, and afterwards there will be an update for Spotify free, I can't wait for this big update because I have been using this piece of crap since the beginning and it's very long overdue

It's actually the only app on my wp which I absolutely hate, this update plus wp8.1 will make me sooo happy :)

Jim Harle

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
@Ordeith - cool, thanks, didn't know that app existed (WP noob here), will give it a shot and report back.

@DennisvdG - thanks for the confirmation, and indeed the WP 8.1 is the driver for my conversion. Still, I've been pleasantly surprised by WP 8 just in general, and there aren't any "showstopper" apps I'm missing. I'm surprised that more people don't have Windows phones; I guess people just love to hate on MS more than on Apple.

Jim Harle

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
So I tried the Metro Radio (Pro version, and I do have a Pandora One subscription btw), and it didn't pass metadata to my car stereo over bluetooth. Then later (after dinner at a restaurant), it magically started working, and then when I switched to the builtin music app, that one didn't pass the metadata. So apparently the problem is not the apps themselves, but the way the apps are[n't] playing nice with each other? Obviously I have more homework to do. And maybe the 8.1 update will make it all moot...developer preview should be available Tuesday?

Jim Harle

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
After installing 8.1 today, the metadata is being passed to the car stereo over bluetooth, using the three music apps I have (builtin, Pandora, Metro Radio). It also still worked when I switched between them, for the most part, but I did manage to get things into a state where the music was still playing but the metadata was blank. So it seems more better, and perhaps will stay working if I pick one and stick with it.

rodney0905

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Hey, thanks for keeping this thread alive. I know it may seem trivial for most but it's a big deal for me. Thanks for the updates on how it's working. I'm still using an iPhone but Will be buying an icon today I think. Glad to hear things are working great in 8.1.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

Jim Harle

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm still using an iPhone but Will be buying an icon today I think.

One of my colleagues has the Icon, and we've been playing around with a "work room" in the people hub. I would go with an Icon over my 1520, if an AT&T version were available. I like my 1520, but it's just too big and bulky at times...like caring for a baby. I think the Icon is the "sweet spot" in terms of size. It's just a shame it doesn't have an SD card slot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos