Office 365 Set Up

Myles Sampey

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone, quick question about Office 365 and Windows Phone. I recently activated an Office 365 account on my laptop. With Windows 8.1 on my laptop I know I am able to directly save to my Skydrive account and then retrieve the documents on Office on my Lumia 920 under SkyDrive. This works just fine however I'm a little confused on what the difference between that and Office 365 is. From my understanding Office 365 is basically Office in the cloud meaning I can work on one device and pick it up on another. I see on Office Mobile that one of the options to set up is Office 365 however whenever I go to st it up it is telling me my account is already being used under my google account. My Microsoft account is linked to my google email and as far as I know its the same account information for my Office 65 subscription. So why is it that when I set up my Office 365 account on my phone and go to add account it won't let me input that email and password? Has anyone else had this issue? Either way SkyDrive integration works fine, I'm just wondering then what benefits Office 365 offers and how to set it up. Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I honestly have no idea as to what's so special, but I don't think it matters. I'm using Office 365 on my SP2 and then picking up on my Lumia 1020 just fine only using SkyDrive. I'm not sure if setting up Office 365 adds anything special. I'll look into this, but from my own experience, I never even noticed the Office 365 button in the Office hub, simply because I've yet to want for more from my current set-up.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE: I just set-up doing this, and it offers nothing new or special. It's just another way of setting up your Microsoft account on your phone so as to sync all your Microsoft and Outlook stuff on the device. If you've already done this, don't fret about it, as it brings nothing new to the table.

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
A related question about Office 365 on WP8 (I've searched WPC but haven't found any solid answers yet). I've used Office 365 for several months (upgraded from Outlook 2010) and I recently got a Lumia 928. I have a MS account, an Outlook.com personal email address, and I use Outlook 2013 (via Office 365) for my work email/contacts/calendar, etc. The work emails do go through a MS Exchange server, but my work contacts/calendar/tasks do not sync to the Exchange server from my desktop Outlook 2013.

On my 928 when I go to the Office Hub I see Office 365 as an option. When I click it I get a message saying I should "set up my Office 365 account on my phone to access my Office docs, email, calendar and contacts". So I click the set up button and it takes me to the "Add An Account" page where one of the options is Office 365/Outlook.com/Exchange. When I click that option it gives me the Outlook create/sign in page which is where I get stumped as to what I'm supposed to do.

For reference:
- My personal Outlook.com emails, calendar, contacts and SkyDrive info sync fine to my 928.
- My work emails sync fine to my 928.
- I have not yet been able to sync my work contacts or calendar to my 928.
- My OneNote files/notes and all my other SkyDrive documents sync fine to my 928.
- I prefer accessing my Outlook.com emails/info online, but I set up my Outlook.com personal email address in Outlook 2013 anyway when I thought that might be the key to syncing my work info but that hasn't proven to be the fix I had hoped for.
- I figured that since Office 365 is already in the cloud that my 928 would pull down the Outlook 2013 contacts and calendar info automatically once I logged in on my phone to my MS account which is what I use for my Office 365 subscription (i.e. the Office365/Outlook2013 info would sync like my Outlook.com info does since Outlook 2013 is already cloud-based).

I must be missing / not doing / misunderstanding something, but I'm stumped. What am I supposed to do to set up Office 365 on my phone (and make the phone recognize my O365 account rather than telling me to set it up) if I've already entered all my MS-related info into the phone? And how can I sync my work-related contacts and calendar to my phone?

Sorry for the long post, and I hope this isn't viewed as a thread hijack since it seems to be related to the OP's question. Thanks ahead for any insight, ideas or feedback.

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
A related question about Office 365 on WP8 (I've searched WPC but haven't found any solid answers yet). I've used Office 365 for several months (upgraded from Outlook 2010) and I recently got a Lumia 928. I have a MS account, an Outlook.com personal email address, and I use Outlook 2013 (via Office 365) for my work email/contacts/calendar, etc. The work emails do go through a MS Exchange server, but my work contacts/calendar/tasks do not sync to the Exchange server from my desktop Outlook 2013.

On my 928 when I go to the Office Hub I see Office 365 as an option. When I click it I get a message saying I should "set up my Office 365 account on my phone to access my Office docs, email, calendar and contacts". So I click the set up button and it takes me to the "Add An Account" page where one of the options is Office 365/Outlook.com/Exchange. When I click that option it gives me the Outlook create/sign in page which is where I get stumped as to what I'm supposed to do.

For reference:
- My personal Outlook.com emails, calendar, contacts and SkyDrive info sync fine to my 928.
- My work emails sync fine to my 928.
- I have not yet been able to sync my work contacts or calendar to my 928.
- My OneNote files/notes and all my other SkyDrive documents sync fine to my 928.
- I prefer accessing my Outlook.com emails/info online, but I set up my Outlook.com personal email address in Outlook 2013 anyway when I thought that might be the key to syncing my work info but that hasn't proven to be the fix I had hoped for.
- I figured that since Office 365 is already in the cloud that my 928 would pull down the Outlook 2013 contacts and calendar info automatically once I logged in on my phone to my MS account which is what I use for my Office 365 subscription (i.e. the Office365/Outlook2013 info would sync like my Outlook.com info does since Outlook 2013 is already cloud-based).

I must be missing / not doing / misunderstanding something, but I'm stumped. What am I supposed to do to set up Office 365 on my phone (and make the phone recognize my O365 account rather than telling me to set it up) if I've already entered all my MS-related info into the phone? And how can I sync my work-related contacts and calendar to my phone?

Sorry for the long post, and I hope this isn't viewed as a thread hijack since it seems to be related to the OP's question. Thanks ahead for any insight, ideas or feedback.

Just so that I understand:

- you set up Outlook 2013 with your Outlook.com account and then added a second account(Exchange) for your work.
- both the Outlook.com and Exchange account are setup on your phone.
- you can access everything but contacts and calendar from the Exchange account on your 928.

If this is correct, have you checked the Exchange account to make sure that it is set to sync contacts and calendars? You can check that in settings > email + accounts.

As to setting up Office 365 on your phone, the Office app automatically syncs with whatever account you set the phone up with initially. It sounds like this is your Outlook.com account. The Office 365 button in the Office app is to add another account but you shouldn't have to do this.

Just wanted to add, that I apologize if I'm not understanding correctly.

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, kbilly. Sounds like you've got it right, and thanks for the clarification about the Office 365 phone setup (probably would be helpful if the phone said something like "you already have 365 set up once on this phone, are you wanting to set up another O365 account?).

As for checking the 928 settings for the exchange account to sync contacts and calendars, I'm aware of those settings but I have a slightly unique situation regarding my Exchange account -- my Outlook 2013 only syncs with Exchange for email purposes, so the Exchange server doesn't ever receive any calendar or contact info from my Outlook 2013 (my business is a franchise, so I'm provided an email address that uses the franchising company's Exchange server for email but I don't need it for contacts and calendar stuff like a more traditional employee situation might). Because of this, my 928 searches the OWA (Outlook Web Access) server for contact and calendar info but doesn't find anything there to sync. So I need to somehow sync contacts and calendars directly from Outlook 2013 to my 928.

I'm aware that if I transfer my work contacts into my Outlook.com personal contact book in Outlook 2013 then they'll sync fine to my 928, but then when I type an email in O2013 from my work account those contacts that were shifted to my personal account aren't available to auto-fill in the To box of my work emails (I can manually go into my O.com contacts and choose/add them to my To line, but that would be unrealistic based on the number of work emails I send each day).

I've wondered if I added my work account to my O.com online access if it would help achieve any of this. If so, I assume I'd then have to use O.com for managing all my emails, contacts, calendars, etc and would basically have to abandon O2013 altogether -- that wouldn't be my preference since O2013 has so much more functionality, but if it's the only way I can fully sync then I'd have to consider it.

Thx again.

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, kbilly. Sounds like you've got it right, and thanks for the clarification about the Office 365 phone setup (probably would be helpful if the phone said something like "you already have 365 set up once on this phone, are you wanting to set up another O365 account?).

As for checking the 928 settings for the exchange account to sync contacts and calendars, I'm aware of those settings but I have a slightly unique situation regarding my Exchange account -- my Outlook 2013 only syncs with Exchange for email purposes, so the Exchange server doesn't ever receive any calendar or contact info from my Outlook 2013 (my business is a franchise, so I'm provided an email address that uses the franchising company's Exchange server for email but I don't need it for contacts and calendar stuff like a more traditional employee situation might). Because of this, my 928 searches the OWA (Outlook Web Access) server for contact and calendar info but doesn't find anything there to sync. So I need to somehow sync contacts and calendars directly from Outlook 2013 to my 928.

I'm aware that if I transfer my work contacts into my Outlook.com personal contact book in Outlook 2013 then they'll sync fine to my 928, but then when I type an email in O2013 from my work account those contacts that were shifted to my personal account aren't available to auto-fill in the To box of my work emails (I can manually go into my O.com contacts and choose/add them to my To line, but that would be unrealistic based on the number of work emails I send each day).

I've wondered if I added my work account to my O.com online access if it would help achieve any of this. If so, I assume I'd then have to use O.com for managing all my emails, contacts, calendars, etc and would basically have to abandon O2013 altogether -- that wouldn't be my preference since O2013 has so much more functionality, but if it's the only way I can fully sync then I'd have to consider it.

Thx again.

Gotcha. My reading comprehension leaves much to be desired. :)

It sounds like you might have already looked at this, but just in case: Sync contacts and calendars from Outlook on my PC to my
phone | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

I wasn't aware that just copying the contacts would break auto-fill, that is interesting.

You might also want to look at this: Sync Outlook with Phone | Sync Outlook Calendar, Contacts and Tasks : Akruto Sync Direct sync from Outlook. I haven't used it myself but it sounds like it will get the job done.

I understand about not wanting to give up O2013 at home. It is so much better than the built-in mail app in my opinion.

Good luck!

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't aware that just copying the contacts would break auto-fill, that is interesting.

As an update to this, I experimented more with the autofill after copying some "work" contacts into my personal account within Outlook 2013. It seems that the auto-fill is initially broken, but after re-establishing a connection by manually choosing a contact from my personal list and adding them to the To box for an email sent from my work email address, then the auto-fill will work in the future (at least that's what it seems like at this point).

So hopefully this also means I can copy the rest of my work contacts into my personal address book so they'll then sync with my 928 via my Outlook.com account.

As for calendar syncing, I think I've now figured that out as well by basically transferring my work calendar appointments to my Outlook.com calendar, then effectively abandoning my work calendar so all future calendar activity will be on my Outlook.com calendar. So far, so good.

Thx again for your help.

iPhoneNoMore

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi Myles,

Just curious, but did you ever find the solution to your problem? I just bought a Lumia Icon yesterday, and am trying to sync it with Office 365 Home Premium, but am having the same issues. Both my Office365 account and Microsoft accounts are set up using my Gmail address. What's odd is, for some reason my contacts have synced, but not my calendar?

Thank you for your help!
Gary

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
As an update to this, I experimented more with the autofill after copying some "work" contacts into my personal account within Outlook 2013. It seems that the auto-fill is initially broken, but after re-establishing a connection by manually choosing a contact from my personal list and adding them to the To box for an email sent from my work email address, then the auto-fill will work in the future (at least that's what it seems like at this point).

So hopefully this also means I can copy the rest of my work contacts into my personal address book so they'll then sync with my 928 via my Outlook.com account.

As for calendar syncing, I think I've now figured that out as well by basically transferring my work calendar appointments to my Outlook.com calendar, then effectively abandoning my work calendar so all future calendar activity will be on my Outlook.com calendar. So far, so good.

Thx again for your help.

just thought here......in order for you to do what you want, you have to install your work contact in your personal contact and do business that way....hummmm..I wonder if someone could create a second contact book just for the purpose of having work contact separate from personal....it would make more sens to me that way...

on the other hand, I now remember that in order to create a work ( E-Mail only) separate from my personal, when I was using the Note 3, I created another account>>>let say>>personal@Gmail.com ( already had it ) and work@Gmail.com. which turns out to be pretty handy from me....then every contact I had for work had to go in my personal phone book...to make it faster to search....when creating those name, in the company section, I was writing work in front the company name.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon