Two phones with same Microsoft ID

Jamie Buchanan

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I had two Nokia Lumia 900's and used the same Microsoft ID without any problems. We just upgraded our phones (Lumia 1020 and 1520) and would like to continue using the same Microsoft ID so we can share the same calendar and contacts. The only problem I'm seeing is that texts to either one of us are showing up on both phones. This wasn't a problem with WP 7.8. Is there a way to rectify the situation and still be able to use the same account on both phones?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
That's extremely strange. Perhaps there's an issue with the SIM card. You could call AT&T and make sure your account was setup correctly when upgrading.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's because text messages are synced as messages to the outlook.com account used for the Microsoft Id

There's no way around this except to create a new Microsoft Id for one of the phones (there's no need to sync email/calendar items for this account if you don't want to). If you want to share contact/calendar information, add the common email address to the other phone as a second Hotmail/Outlook.com account.

MDboyz

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure you use text mobile? If you use messenger text, you will get it on both phones, because they have the same MS account.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I think your only option is to turn off text message backup on both your phones.

Something else to think about is the automatic picture upload to Skydrive. Pictures you take will show up on her phone and pictures she takes will show up on yours if you have automatic backup turned on. If you take a selfie with your girlfriend, that could be a bad thing. :)

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I just recieved a text from a store that sends texts to my wife. I never received these before.

I don't think you're recieving that text in the traditional sense. I think she is getting it, and it is being backed up to the cloud and then synced down to your inbox.

Jamie Buchanan

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I'll try turning off the text backup on both phones when we get home from work. I'm ok w/ the pictures being available on both phones. I could see where that could cause trouble for some people though...

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I have one question, why not use separate Microsoft IDs?

You could export the contacts on your phone and import them on hers then you both have the same contacts. Granted she'll lose her text messages but that's a small price to pay. This would also mean you can keep text message backup enabled on both phones.

For the shared calendar, seeing as you both use WP8, you could use the most underrated feature called Family Room. That means you can have more than just a shared calendar. It also gives you shared photos, notes and chat.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I have a feeling that they may also want to purchase apps once and both use them.

It would be nice if there was some sort of family plan for buying apps.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Same for XBox Music. They need a "family" share plan for XBox Music. Having four XBox Music devices tied to one email is pointless.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss