Sync Google Gmail and contacts?

SweetBearCub

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Hello.

A friend of mine recently got a Nokia Lumia 521 on MetroPCS. Following a guide I found to check the phone's software version, I found that it has Windows Phone 8.0 software on it. Can someone please show me - Step by step - How to sync Gmail and google contacts onto it?

I played with it, but the entire interface is foreign to me, as I have never used a Windows Phone, and neither has she. We are both very used to Android phones, and just typing in our username and password on initial setup and having it all auto-sync with no intervention.

At this point, she is carrying her old damaged android phone with her Windows phone, looking up contacts in it, and she is extremely frustrated with her Windows Phone.

Thanks!

SweetBearCub

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Must she switch to Outlook to access her Gmail and google contacts? At the moment, she has no desire to migrate her data. And, I have to do this in front of her at her workplace - I will have access to my phone to see this post/look up stuff, but not a PC.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
The article says switch, but the instruction for contacts shows how to get them from gmail to outlook, don't have to switch. I guess the first question to ask is she logged on to her phone with an outlook/Hotmail account?

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
How did she log on when she first turned it on? And if you go to the settings tile. Then go to email+accounts. It gives you the option to add a google mail account.

SweetBearCub

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Probably about 3 weeks, if I recall. But she really just wants her contacts integrated with the phone app. She doesn't remember many phone numbers off the the top of her head, and has been slowly re-adding numbers to named contacts as they call her, but only has a small fraction added.

I saw the settings tile (or rather, "settings" in the app list when you swipe left), but it asked for many things that I do not know the values for, such as the incoming and outgoing server, among other things. Much like I was setting up an ancient POP3 account.

It's unfortunate that MS has not set up Windows Phone to easily and obviously compatible with other dominant service provider's accounts. (ie, "Enter your Google username and password here, and wait a few minutes while all account data is synced.")

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
It does have the main providers accounts automatically to choose from. Pop is the option after those. Or at least it is on my phone.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully he or someone else can come and answer that for you. I have never had a gmail account. So I personally haven't set one up on Windows Phone. Good luck.

pottyvick

May 31, 2013
Visit site
In case I get an error, what is the workaround? Thanks.

1. Make sure your smart phone is connected to Internet
2. Navigate to Settings -> email+accounts
3. Remove the existing Google account (if present)
4. Tap "add an account"
5. Tap "advanced setup"
6. Enter your gmail e-mail address
7. Enter your gmail password. If you are using Application-specific passwords with your Google account, generate and enter a new Application-specific password
8. Tap the "next" button
9. Select "Exchange ActiveSync"
10. Leave Domain empty
11. Enter Server "m.google.com"
12. Tap the "sign in" button (optionally set some further options, if needed)
13. Wait till the synchronization is finished (this could take up to half an hour if you have many contacts, e-mails, etc.)
14. All done :)

kingofthebraves

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
1. Make sure your smart phone is connected to Internet
2. Navigate to Settings -> email+accounts
3. Remove the existing Google account (if present)
4. Tap "add an account"
5. Tap "advanced setup"
6. Enter your gmail e-mail address
7. Enter your gmail password. If you are using Application-specific passwords with your Google account, generate and enter a new Application-specific password
8. Tap the "next" button
9. Select "Exchange ActiveSync"
10. Leave Domain empty
11. Enter Server "m.google.com"
12. Tap the "sign in" button (optionally set some further options, if needed)
13. Wait till the synchronization is finished (this could take up to half an hour if you have many contacts, e-mails, etc.)
14. All done :)

I'm planning on getting a windows phone as well but I rely heavily on my google account.

If I do this, will it fully sync with my gmail? Meaning all changes done to my Windows phone will reflect on my other devices?

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Exchange ActiveSync support for Gmail ends 12/31/2013. If you are heavily dependent on Google Services, you might want to wait until 1/1/2014 to see what happens.

On the other hand, new WP8 phones with GDR2 update will switch to IMAP for Gmail and CardDav for contacts by default. Not as full featured as ActiveSync, e.g. lacks push email and search on server but at least that lets you work past 1/1/2014.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes