Bluetooth tethering in WP8?

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
In GDR3 / win8.1, if bluetooth is enabled on both PC and phone, 8.1 will see a wifi network with your phone's name, which if connected to, will prompt WP8 to start the internet sharing utility that has been in WP since WP7.

So it just activates wifi tethering automatically for paired bluetooth devices.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Any chance that Bluetooth tethering will be enabled in WP at some point? Seems like a pretty useful feature since it takes up less energy than wifi tethering.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Any chance that Bluetooth tethering will be enabled in WP at some point? Seems like a pretty useful feature since it takes up less energy than wifi tethering.

Actually I don't think there's anything stopping a developer from making an app that can do this.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I stand corrected.

I have seen tests that indicate that WiFi is much faster, though.

Depends upon your priorities.

WiFi is faster generally, regardless of what version you're using. Bluetooth 3.0+HS basically uses WiFi, but only at 24Mbps which seems painfully low still (wireless G is 54Mbps, N can be 300, and there's some newfangled WiFi standard I hear).

However that speed is plenty for "4G" aka H+ which has a theoretical maximum of 21Mbps. Lte has a theoretical max of 100Mbps, so you certainly won't get your full lte speed tethering Bluetooth.... But if I recall correctly the iPad was really slow to adopt wireless n, so depending on the model you have you might only have WiFi speeds of 54Mbps.

All numbers are theoretical maximums. In practice you'll get nowhere near the number :(

meathead88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
In GDR3 / win8.1, if bluetooth is enabled on both PC and phone, 8.1 will see a wifi network with your phone's name, which if connected to, will prompt WP8 to start the internet sharing utility that has been in WP since WP7.

So it just activates wifi tethering automatically for paired bluetooth devices.

I'd like to try this but want to rename my Nokia 928. Rigth now it's bluetooth broadcasts "Windows Phone" as the name. If I set Wi-Fi to use "Windows Phone" as the SSD everyone at work will know its me and i don't need that kind of attention to my phone.

meathead88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
This is great! I just told everyone i knew!

Why are things like this so hidden?! The android friends of mine are jealous, but promptly found an app that immitates this to shut me up, lol >

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa