Thinking on getting a WP 8 phone but I have my doubts

minu94

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys! Thinking on changing my Galaxy S3 with an HTC 8X, because I want to give WP8 a shot. Anyways, I have my doubts. I rely alot on Whatsapp and Facebook. The problem is, that I heard that whatsapp notifications don't appear sometimes or the messages comes in after some time. Is that true? Also, about the facebook notifications, that they also come in some time. Is that true? Have these issues been resolved? Also, is there an app like Facebook Messenger? Thank you in advance :D

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I think if there is any doubt, then there is no doubt. You will not like WP, or your peer group will find a reason for you not to like it.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
If you can find a good used 8X, at least give it a try. I don't use Whatsapp so I can't help there. I'm using Facebook Beta and I leave it running in the background and I get pm notifications as soon as they post. I also have the number count on my live tile. There are several Facebook Messenger apps, but I don't use them either.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't use Facebook, so I can't help with that. For whatsapp, I have had no problems at all. I receive all my messages instantly. Its important to have the correct settings so that notifications are receives.

One current drawback is inability to save or attach videos and audio files, but that will change soon. Video saving and attaching from the library is going in the next update.

Acryion

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
There isn't Facebook Messenger and there won't be, but you have 2 options.

1) Use the built-in online apps chat. You can chat with whoever you want directly from the Messaging app.
2) Facebook has in beta testing pinning the messenger section directly to the start screen. So it's not exactly an app, but it does just what you need.

Facebook for WP is very good (not currently as good as Android an iOS) but it's getting there pretty fast. Also, Whatsapp provides TONS of updates for WP, so by the time you'd buy a WP device you can bet any problem would be ironed out.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Personally I think that now is the perfect time for you to get a cheap phone like the Lumia 520 and try it out for yourself. I hear that most places have a 14 day return policy, so if you get the phone try it and find out you don't like the OS or how it works you literally don't lose a penny.

You can umm and errr about something for only so long. At some point I'd recommend biting the bullet!

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Personally I think that now is the perfect time for you to get a cheap phone like the Lumia 520 and try it out for yourself. I hear that most places have a 14 day return policy, so if you get the phone try it and find out you don't like the OS or how it works you literally don't lose a penny.

You can umm and errr about something for only so long. At some point I'd recommend biting the bullet!

Gotta say this guy's right. I also owned a S3 and bought the Lumia 520 to wait for future Lumia phones (hopefully), and it was really great. The Whatsapp had no problems, and I use the messaging app for Facebook chat, also easy to use and no problems yet.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Me too! I bought the 520 to try WP out. If I had not liked it, it would not have been too big a deal, bit I'm really impressed and will be buying an upgrade, in the future.

Karkadann

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I was a fan of WP8 before I use it. Anyway, I got a Lumia 520 for my birthday. 20 days after I bought a Lumia 920. I don't miss anything from Android, specially those freezings and crashes. Try to compare the Lumia 520 with any Android phone on the same price range.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Here's my .02...try it out. It can't hurt. It's better than to never have tried it at all. See, that's the problem. People don't see as many out there as you do with the Sheeple. So, oh, it must not be that good is the perception. You are already intrigued. Get a Nokia branded W8 device and go from there. You can put a lot of mileage on a device in a 2 week period. Just make sure that if What'sApp and Facebook Messaging are your primary concerns, you work them out. Then, find the other cool stuff along the way. I'm about to go with my 3rd Windows Phone device, and there is NOTHING I miss about Android and I don't give iOS a second thought.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys! Thinking on changing my Galaxy S3 with an HTC 8X, because I want to give WP8 a shot. Anyways, I have my doubts. I rely alot on Whatsapp and Facebook. The problem is, that I heard that whatsapp notifications don't appear sometimes or the messages comes in after some time. Is that true? Also, about the facebook notifications, that they also come in some time. Is that true? Have these issues been resolved? Also, is there an app like Facebook Messenger? Thank you in advance :D

The 8X is a great phone, but limited internal storage so be mindful of that, especially if your a big gamer, you might want to also consider that HTC really hasn't shown alot of support for their device's on the WP platform, as for whatsapp, sorry, i don't use it so cant give you an informed opinion on it, as far as Facebook goes I've never had any real problems with it although many people have complained about the notifications, honestly i turned off Facebook toast notifications due to how annoying they were, BUT, I'm not huge on Social networking so that may just be me, you can always create a live tile for a person or group of people to the start screen for a quick glance of activity from said person or group, i agree with a previous poster that if you have deep reservations than try to acquire a cheap phone to "test" for a little while, you can get a 520 for as little as 60-70 dollars right now, at least it would give you a feel for the OS and how it will work for YOU, and if you dont like it you can use it as an MP3 player, free offline Nokia music, and free offline navigation as well as full use (except phone calls and sms ) while on WiFi, there are a few Facebook messenger apps on the store, I dont use it so cant tell you good or bad but they are available.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I actually just started using Whatsapp the other day and I love it so much :)

It allows me to talk to my friend in New Zeland while i am here in America.
I have the App tiled pinned to my phone and I have gotten Notifications as soon as they come in(Both Toast notifications and the live tile updates)

Any negativity you may have heard about the app is probably old news because i do know at one point, the whatsapp was kind of crappy but they have been updating it a lot and the app is definite a plus for me.

As far as Facebook and Messenger goes, the new app(I think Facebook Beta) allows you to pin it to your homescreen. You can have a tile for Facebook itself and then one for your inbox and any messages you get will automatically update(both toast notifications and the live tile). I have not any issues with that app and it gets updated fairly regularly.

So if those are your 2 concerns, for me I can say that i have Zero issues using those apps :)

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey guy/gal. Thanks for stopping in. Hopefully you will be more than a visitor and join in. Although I ultimately recommend a windows phone with 1GB ram and 32GB storage, mostly due to the other storage bug and the sometimes high storage/ram requirements for installs, try the 520 and just use it with WiFi or prepaid. If you like it, you can move to an even better one.

The 520 is a cool phone and I continued to think of getting one just to leave in the car...

I am an avid windows fan, but I used to consider Google one of my favorite companies... The last couple years change my thought process, but it is far from gone. I purchased a nexus 7 for a new go with android. Which has been a great expansion to my surface / mobile traveling tech toys.

$60 for the phone now :)
Here is the link: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...y99lsknnzaz9sstt0ztsps95l0vllr&token=t46SrFsS

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I say go for it... and not with a bargain 520/521. You'll just want a better phone. And let's face it, the camera on the 520/1 isn't great.

I started with a 521 and immediately wanted an upgrade. Get yourself a 925. Best all-around Windows Phone of the year. The best Windows Phone you can buy | Windows Phone Central

Why go cheap? Get outstanding display and imaging. It's a power performer as well. You won't be sorry with a 925.

minu94

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Today I went at a Vodafone shop to look at an 925. I am very impressed! Great screen quality and great build quality! If I'm going on Windows Phone, I'll definetly get a Lumia 925. Still trying to put my hands on an Windows Phone device for a couple of days to see how it is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon