Am I the only one who misses this "metro" design?

melvintwj

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I have been on the WP ship since it's debut with WP7. I was using a HTC HD7 on contract back when WP was new. I would have gone with a Lumia 800 if I could, but I was stuck on my contract. Upgraded to a Nokia Lumia 920 when I was eligible for a re-contract. Basically, I have gone through the "growth" of WP.

Now that WP is quite stable in terms of app choices as more and more developers are beginning to develop for WP, I can't help but think back of the times when apps' UI looked more or less like this :

10x1022oub34fgdasa-1287712776.jpg

That was the design I "grew up" with. It is quite sad to see that most apps today are basically a port of iOS or Android counterparts, just "flatter" and has the ability to scroll(swipe) between the "tabs". I love how the headers went out of the screen to the right in the old design. You can just look at that design and call it "metro", which you cannot do to the current ones as they look the same on iOS and Android.

Is it not possible to bring back the old design now? I mean, that is one unique UI/UX for WP right? It is still present in the People's Hub, Settings, Messaging, Calendar etc. Pretty much all the default system apps. I really prefer it loads more than the current icons-as-header kind of design.

Can you imagine if all the apps are design with the "metro" headers? Instagram, for instance, would look really different and unique from its iOS and Android counterparts. Same goes for Twitter, Vine etc.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have been on the WP ship since it's debut with WP7. I was using a HTC HD7 on contract back when WP was new. I would have gone with a Lumia 800 if I could, but I was stuck on my contract. Upgraded to a Nokia Lumia 920 when I was eligible for a re-contract. Basically, I have gone through the "growth" of WP.

Now that WP is quite stable in terms of app choices as more and more developers are beginning to develop for WP, I can't help but think back of the times when apps' UI looked more or less like this :

View attachment 51751

That was the design I "grew up" with. It is quite sad to see that most apps today are basically a port of iOS or Android counterparts, just "flatter" and has the ability to scroll(swipe) between the "tabs". I love how the headers went out of the screen to the right in the old design. You can just look at that design and call it "metro", which you cannot do to the current ones as they look the same on iOS and Android.

Is it not possible to bring back the old design now? I mean, that is one unique UI/UX for WP right? It is still present in the People's Hub, Settings, Messaging, Calendar etc. Pretty much all the default system apps. I really prefer it loads more than the current icons-as-header kind of design.

Can you imagine if all the apps are design with the "metro" headers? Instagram, for instance, would look really different and unique from its iOS and Android counterparts. Same goes for Twitter, Vine etc.
Well the official apps don't but aren't 6tag and 6sec utilizing a metro design.

I do agree though. I miss when windows phone apps had their own distinct looks and identity

vakama94

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to see that too. I've always wondered why they stopped using that design for important apps. And as you say, Vine and Twitter looked like their Android counterparts only flatter and with some minimal changes.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2

melvintwj

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Well the official apps don't but aren't 6tag and 6sec utilizing a metro design.

I do agree though. I miss when windows phone apps had their own distinct looks and identity

6tag's (and 6sec) modern design is almost exactly as the official one. Same icons-header look. Polaroid design is something different, but by no means it's metro design.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo